1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

multi tool vs. knife which do you carry

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ssmtbracer, Aug 21, 2009.

1. MAG

MAG Empty Pockets

A re-profiled (shaving sharp) Spyderco Delica in pocket and a keychain Swiss Army knife (the "Classic"?) on keychain. One of the scales recently fell off the SAK, so I'm trying out their lifetime warranty and sent it in. No word yet on what action they'll take. If it requires any out-of-pocket expense, I'll probably quit buying Victorinox and get a Leatherman Micra or something.

2. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

It'll definitely be covered by warranty, MAG, though they may opt to send you a brand new Classic instead, just depends on what else they decide to do on the knife. :)

3. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Nearly always both for me, sometime 2 MTs depending on which ones and how many pockets I have!

4. JerryD

JerryD Loaded Pockets

Both. My job in high school and through the summers while I've been in college was at a small farm supply store. I carried a stout (and cheap) folding blade, usually a Gerber Paraframe, a razor/utility knife, and a multitool. I developed an appreciation for multitools working there. Since then, I've had my leatherman or a Gerber Multiplier in my backpack or on my belt, depending on what I'm up to, and at least one folding knife in my pocket, not including the artifact I have on my keys.

5. rwdflynavy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

rwdflynavy Loaded Pockets

Another vote for both. LM Juice and LM crater everyday.

6. Doug S

Doug S Empty Pockets

Always a SAK (which I consider my multitool), and at least a traditional slipjoint (like a Case, or Buck). Haven't been carrying one lately, but I'm not adverse to a Spyderco clipped to my pocket, either.

7. secretstash

secretstash Empty Pockets

SAK, old school. :)

8. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

Medium-sized SAK (Climber) for the pants pocket, multitool (Leatherman PST) in the bag.
    Although, with a smaller multitool it would be different.

9. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

I never EDC'd a MT before because I EDC a plain-edge folder in the 3" range. I didn't like the redundancy to the blade on most MT's. SOG Powerlocks were nice because you can change out the tools but they were a bit big and heavy for EDC. Then I came across the Victorinox Spirit (standard one) with a single blunt-nosed serrated blade. This was a match made in heaven! I feel the serrated blade on the Spirit complimented my plain-edge EDC blade. Add to that all the great tools on the Spirit and the superior quality, fit & finish and size/weight of it and it was a no-brainer for me.

So yeah, now I carry both.

...and then some in my backpack. :winkwink:

10. lambdadao

lambdadao Loaded Pockets

Another vote for both. Spyderco ZDP Caly3 for food and delicate cutting. LM Wave for heavier/rougher cutting.

11. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

If I am traveling light, it is a knife. A Leatherman c33x (at least for know). However, my EDC bag, contains a Leatherman Wave, a c33x, and a CRKT M21-14SF. So to answer that, both.

12. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

For me, a SAK and a small locking blade like a Subcom or KISS currently. I will rotate in my Spydie Salt I or CRKT M16 on ocassion. I have started carrying my LM PST again but I need to get a new case for it. Lost the leather and am using a cheap nylon one that feels like it is going to fall apart. Thinking I need to visit a friend in the saddlery business and have one custom made for me. Although I do have a Mac Tools case for it and a Mini Mag, but I don't always carry a MiniMag. I keep a Fenix E01 in my pocket.

13. qharjo

qharjo Empty Pockets

Almost always both. A Subcom for quick cutting jobs, a SAK for screwdriving/scissors/bottle opener/toothpick/whatever, and a multi for pliers/snipping/filing. If I had a one-hand-open blade on my multi, I *might* cut out the Subcom, but it is soooooo handy.

I counted up the number of knife blades I had on my person normally the other day, and I ended up with *five*. Two on the SAK, one in the multi, the Subcom, and a Utilikey. Like another poster, I'm considering switching to a SOG or Swisstool just to cut down on the redundancy while increasing the utility.

14. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

It depends on the pants :). If I am wearing dress pants knife only. Baggy cargo shorts both for sure. Jeans maybe both or maybe just the MT. I don't like belt pouches so what I carry is effected heavily by what I am wearing.

15. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

Both.

Victorinox One Handed Trekker (non serrated blade)
    Gerber MP 600 Pro Scout (Mossy Oak camo)

Both ride in seperate nylon sheaths on my belt, everyday. I also have a Victorinox Classic in my pocket on a short piece of 550 cord (along with some other small EDC items...pill fob, whistle, firesteel, etc.)

16. illfuente

illfuente Empty Pockets

Been carrying a LM Charge AL while at work with a SAK excutive in my pocket. Out of work latley a microtec LUDT and always novatac Edc and always have the LM handy