1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

multi tool vs. knife which do you carry

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ssmtbracer, Aug 21, 2009.

1. komodo

komodo Loaded Pockets

multi tool for me only :shrug:

2. Dodger

Dodger Empty Pockets

Always Both!

3. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

Same. And to be more specific, knife in pocket, bigger backup knife in laptop/edc bag, and then multitool, extra lockblade, and 1/2 fixed blades in my SAR/BOB in my Jeep.
    I'm thinking a Juice S2 will live in my laptop bag real soon :) Than my Wave can become my Jeep tool, and I can get a Skeletool for my SAR/BOB.

4. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

There is a multitool in my work bag. It is less scary than a KNIFE :(

Anyways, I have several of each in the car, in the office , BOB ..etc. And today I have at last fallen on my knees and bought a 2 in one package containing a knife & multitool. They are made by JOHN BENZEN Co. Not as good as leatherman but not bad. Their SAK clones are worthless but multittool clones are OK.

The folding knife is a clone of Buck 110. It is RAZOR sharp. (got to be careful around this thing). The multitool is a copy of the LM Wave minus the hex bits . It has a knife, serrated knife, plus a saw. I liked the scissors too. The knives and saw are locking type.

I love this knife/multitool combination but haven't decided where and when I will be carrying it.
    So far it stays in the car.

5. Xerxes

Xerxes Loaded Pockets

I'm not convinced of my need for a multi tool, but I acquired one recently ( a freebie when I bought a Marcrist diamond blade). The tool is labeled Marcrist, but I've no idea who really makes it. Nicely finished, and compact, but the blades tend to bunch.

I've been carrying it around to see if it comes in handy at all. So far I've used the bottle opener a few times, and my granddaughter is fascinated by the pliers.

6. Tripp Hazzard

Tripp Hazzard Loaded Pockets

Out and about, knife in pocket, Juice in my bag.

At work, the same plus a small SAK (to reduce the OMGYCAK factor).

I use one of the knives almost daily. The Juice at least once a month.

7. cjsmith

cjsmith Loaded Pockets

I always have a folding knife on my person (Leatherman c33x) and a Leatherman Fuse in my pack or on my belt.

8. 2506sniper

2506sniper Loaded Pockets

Always Both. A Benchmade or Spyderco of varying models and a Leatherman of varying models.

9. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

Always both. When I need a knife, I need a knife and sometimes its hard to use the knife on a multitool even if the knife opens on the outside.

10. steelstr45

steelstr45 Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a knife and the Leatherman Micra in my college days. These days I usually just have a SAK or Leatherman Wave on me. However, with my new Tenacious on the way, I may be carrying that as well as a smaller multitool again.

11. CopperKnight

CopperKnight Empty Pockets

Have carried both for years. Pocket clip Benchmade and Schrade multitool on the belt.

12. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah I'm carrying a leatherman squirt and a spyderco cricket.

13. michoi

michoi Empty Pockets

i always carry a full size folding knife but i always have a squirt or mini champ on my key chain

14. _STL_15_

_STL_15_ Loaded Pockets

I have yet to down size anything. I feel like I am un-prepaired if I leave the house without my set up. I dont leave the house without a defensive blade, utility blade, and a leatherman wave with bits.

15. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I carry both. I won't try to justify it as practical, but I am too fond of knives to be happy with even the best of the multitool blades. My EDC folder has a 5-1/2" D2 blade and a framelock that would support an SUV. ;D

--Bob Q

16. johnnytest

johnnytest Loaded Pockets

use to always carry a dedicated keychain knife.
    the blades on the multi-tools have gotten so good.
    Now I just carry the multi-tool.

17. 17Chap

17Chap Loaded Pockets

Both: I almost always have one or another of the major multitools on my belt (Vic Spirit today) and a small SAK in my pocket. Various other seldom used knives in desk, briefcase, car and other places.

Chap

18. ottobc

ottobc Loaded Pockets

i always keep my SOG flash II and my SOG powerlock on me, but i am in a pretty hands-on kind of job, so i find alot of uses for them. Reason why i carry my knife as well, because using it takes up a whole lot less time and alot easier(knife is good to handle,cuts things easier, and quicker)than using a blade on my multi-tool.

19. Tracy

Tracy Loaded Pockets

Victorinox Swisstool and at least one knife. Usually more than one.
    When someone asks me if I have a knife, I ask what they want to cut, so I know which blade to choose. If any.

20. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

After reviewing my EDC a few months ago & realized I have no use for a tactical folder in my pocket seein' as that if I get accosted by a badguy, I'll simply shoot him instead of reaching for my Benchmade Ruckus. So, for the last 2 months I've been carryin' a Leatherman Charge Xti I bought new when they were new & never carred to carry. So far it's been pretty nice in the pocket! We'll see if it can get knocked out later this week when my Sideclip shows up!