1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

multi tool vs. knife which do you carry

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ssmtbracer, Aug 21, 2009.

1. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

multi tool vs. knife which do you carry or do you carry both? Any ideas.

2. ErnestS

ErnestS Loaded Pockets

I feel like my carrying habits have changed so much in the past year. I started with only a multi-tool (Leatherman Juice C2), then went to only carrying a knife (Spyderco Caly 3), then tried carrying both a compact multi-tool and knife (Leatherman Squirt P4 and Spyderco Cricket).

Now I've settled with a Spyderco Ladybug and a JDR Pryranha on my keychain. Seems to be the best balance/compromise of weight and utility for me. ;D

3. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

I carry both. I like having a dedicated blade so I don't have to pull out a multitool just to cut something. I also like having a backup blade.

Heath

4. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

at work, both,
    OHO knife goes in the bag and the Skeletool goes in my pocket, along with the SAK of the day.
    I always carry a knife or two.

5. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

i would just chose the multi tool it has a decent blade on it and alot of other tools that a sak doesnt! only thing that may be a hardship is the opening on the multi tool everytime you haft to cut something instead of a simple flick of a folder. but its better to have all the tools for the job than just a few of them!

6. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

I usually carry a knife and then supplement with a multi-tool on occasion. Sometimes though if I anticipate needing a pliers but have to limit myself to only one tool, I will carry only a lightweight MT like a Leatherman Skeletool or Freestyle. For the most part though, I feel a good folder is a better bet if I can or want to only carry one tool.

7. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Both everyday all day.

8. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

Knife in the pocket, multi tool in the bag/car

9. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Knife and SAK always, multi if I know I'll need it (or when I have a bag with me)

10. sculptormills

sculptormills Empty Pockets

I carry a Swiss Champ SAK (the really big one with 40+ tools) that I absolutely love. I own a Letherman Wave but found it to be slow and cumbersome to use compared to my Swiss Champ. The only advantage the Wave has is the pliers/wire cutters. I know all the Wave's tools are locking and most SAK tools don't, but that is one of the reasons I found the Wave too slow to use. If you are careful and think before you make the cut, you don't need a locking blade that often. I have a Maxpedition Fat Boy and Keep my Wave in it, so I have it sometimes, but my Swiss Champ is in my right front pocket 24/7. I have even left instructions that I am to be burred with my Swiss Champ when I die- really!

11. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

Multitool - Juice Cs4. Also a tiny SAK - Vic Rambler. Neither is really a dedicated blade you could use to baton logs.

12. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

A small SAK in my pocket as a good balance between tools and size.

A MT in my bag, or pocket at work where I will be using it more regularly.

13. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I carry a knife (usually a Spyderco Byrd Meadowlark, but sometimes a LM Crater c33lx) all the time. I also carry a LM P4 on my keychain. My laptop bag (which I always have at work) contains a LM Wave (pre-2004) and my BOB (always in my car) has a post-2004 Wave. The post-2004 Wave will come out of the BOB and into my pocket when I carry a full-size multitool.

14. Crux

Crux Loaded Pockets

I don't have a job that requires a multi-tool so I carry only a knife.

15. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

I carry a Leatherman Juice S2 in my briefcase. But on me, I keep it light with a Leatherman Squirt S4 and a traditional slipjoint pocket knife. I like the little Squirt. A couple of days ago I used the small tweezers in it to pull out a splinter or needle thorn that I got in my finger after putting away a bag that I use when I am outdoors. I use the scissors often.

16. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

Multi tool on the belt but for most things I just use my gerber EAB utility knife. It deploys so much faster. I carry both and do prefer the clip point on my LM core for larger tasks.

-vivek

17. Atrain

Atrain Empty Pockets

I carry 3 knives a fixed blade, a razer knife, and the other is a buck 110 and a Lethermen wave

Atain

18. 1*

1* Empty Pockets

On Duty : Leatherman Skeletool left front pocket, Becker Necker over vest under uniform, and a Spyderco Endura or Benchmade Rift in the right front pocket.

Off Duty: Same set without the Necker, lately a Delica in the right front.

19. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Skeletool right pocket one of my other knives in the left.

20. yowzer

yowzer Empty Pockets

I usually carry a dedicated folding knife in RFP and a minimalistic SAK (Usually a Compact or Electrician) in LFP. I just picked up a Swisstool Spirit today at a flea market that I'm planning on sticking inside whatever backpack or laptop case I'm lugging that day. I don't imagine that I'll be carrying it on me very often, but it'll be nice to have it nearby.