1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Multi Pens - General Comments & Pics

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by SurivStud, Feb 28, 2018.

1. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

I like multi pens because they allow me to have different options within just one piece or item — 2, 3, 4 colors and/or mechanical pencil included—. I work a lot on field and offices moving from one place to another, many times signing documents and or reviewing/modifying plans, layouts or different drawings so it’s a lot easier for me if there are less separated items to carry.

I have owned different models of Parker, Rotring and Cross multi pens.

Please share your thoughts to learn from each other on current multi pens options, pros and cons, preferences, prices, etc.

Please add pics if you wish.

[​IMG]

#1 SurivStud, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  2. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

The SAKs of the writing world...

3. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I like the customizable ones (like the Pilot Coleto). Don't like the refills on most of the standard multis, they're a poor writing ballpoint and/or a undesired color.

4. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I really lime the Skillcraft Aviator - black and red pens and a pencil. It has been my primary used pen for a few years.

5. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

I totally understand that. The customization functionality it’s great. And the Coleto Me or Coleto Lumio have a great finish.
    Unfortunately, I am from Chile and I don’t find those multi pens here. I wish had the chance to get them.
    Nevertheless for my purposes the traditional combination of black, blue, red ink plus a mechanical pencil is the perfect set for me and I find it in the Parker Executive (the size and finish I like the most), Cross Tech 4, and some others.

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

The only ones I've ever used were the Bic 4-color ones; really non-refillable. Which also means not customizable of course. Useful enough in their own way, but never motivated me to get something a step up to the level of the ones you guys are talking about.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

bruno_go likes this.
  7. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

Perhaps you should try one. Besides the advantage of having three or four options in one item some multi pens are really well made, metal body (haven’t found titanium so far), great look.

For instance, the one SOS24 made mention of:
    —> That’s another one I really like but don’t find in my country either. I guess I’ll have to take a look at Amazon or eBay but I’ve seen that some of those are no shipped to Chile.

8. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

The Skillcraft Aviator and Cross Tech3 are both refillable and customizable. I have refilled my pens, pencils and eraser on both multiple times. I also customize. When in the Navy I liked having Fisher pressurized black because I frequently wasn’t writing on a flat surface and red was only for the Commanding Officer so I used purple or green for mark-ups.

SurivStud and Moshe ben David like this.
  9. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I've just started using a Uni Jetstream 3 Colour. I didn't like the feel of the 0.7 bodies, so this is a 0.5 body, fitted with 0.7 refills for extra smoothness and (because I like writing in blue and mark up documents quite a bit) I've swapped the black colour for a green. (The third colour is red, of course)

(Yes, I know I'm fussy! I'm relaxed about it! :cool:)

[​IMG]

SurivStud and WillAdams like this.
  10. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

For some reason, a Rotring Quattro is the only pen I've lost since starting my senior year of high school (and it's happened twice).

Currently using a Skilcraft Aviator, though I'll admit I keep being tempted by a Zebra Sharbo, and occasionally consider one of the Rotring clones.

I wish the Aviator came in a 4, or better still, 5 function version --- I miss having blue and a highlighter.

11. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

The only Rotring multi pen I‘ve owned is the Tikky 3 in 1; Fairly cheap, plastic body, but really light which comes perfect when I draw and really comfortable grip:

[​IMG]

— I certainly like how the Quattro looks like but I’ve never hold it in my hand. I wonder if it is too slippery. Here I can find it for about USD$130, is that the right price value?

#11 SurivStud, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  12. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

Thats right. You can refill with any different color option. Actually I’ve even used some kind of phosphorescent color in a multi pen (Parker Executive was my case). There are stores with a complete stock of different colors to customize so we can use any special one in any of the standard size multi pen refills.

13. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Annoyingly, the first Rotring Quattro I lost was a Levenger special edition which had a rubberized coating.

Yes, the normal Rotring Quattros are a bit slippery, and I always misliked that in the replacement I bought before I lost it.

I thought they were a decent value at the original list price, but I'm not getting one of the cheap ones, or paying a collectible price for something which ought to just be a usable object.

SurivStud likes this.
  14. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

Please allow me to ask your help please.
    One of my multi pens is the one shown in the pic: Parker Executive. It’s the one I like the most. Metal body, comfortable grip, smooth writings, the mechanism has worked just fine for years. The eraser cup lost its black finish. The material seems to be bronze.
    What would you suggest to recover its finish?
    Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#14 SurivStud, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  15. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

My list:

Pilot Coleto (4 or 5 unit, with red/black/eraser/pencil)
    FriXXion Multipen (handy due to erasable ink, red/black/green/blue)

SurivStud likes this.
  16. bruno_go

bruno_go Loaded Pockets

I really like mine. Bic 4 Color Pro.
    Use it on weekends.

[​IMG]

17. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

One advantage these types of multi pens have is their affordability and their presence everywhere. I have these two —Bic 4 colours and Papermate inkJoy— but haven’t found a version with a mechanical pencil included.

[​IMG]

Most of them are not customizable though, due to that and since I work in formal environments I have some others — and among them the ones I like the most are Cross Tech4 & Parker Executive — which are refillable but their disadvantage is their higher price value. By fortune I found them on special sales or were given to me as a gift.

#17 SurivStud, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    bruno_go likes this.
  18. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

I bought this Troika pen yesterday. It doesn’t have more than one pen option — in this case black ballpoint — but it has several functionalities.
    Metal body, capacitive stylus, spirit level, 2 linear rulers (cm, inch), 2 scale rulers (1:50, 1:20), screwdrivers (slotted & phillips under the stylus cap), black ballpoint. It is probably a multi tool rather than a multi pen but I think it fits here too.

There are some really cheap alternatives for this pen in different online platforms (usually plastic body) but this Troika pen owns a quality look and a nice finish.

The hexagon shape gives a comfortable grip and the ballpoint is soft. [​IMG]

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@SurivStud: that sure does look like a product marketed here in US by Monteverde...!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

20. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

Yes, you’re right, it looks like Monteverde products. Troika is a well known brand here though and the pen is well made — I mean it doesn’t look like just a good counterfeit—. I guess someone started with a good idea and served as an inspiration for others.