1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

MT, Knife, or Both

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Scribble, Mar 7, 2018.

?

MT, Knife, or Both what do you carry?

1. Multi-Tool

10 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Knife

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Both

53 vote(s)
    73.6%
  1. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

On body I always have my ZT 0301, 24/7

Most of the rest of the time I also have on body my Leatherman Juice CS4, Spyderco Stainless Bug SS mini and Gerber Shard

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Same here, from an early age, multi tools captured my imagination much more than any single bladed knife.

Since the likes of Leatherman/MT's that contain full size pliers came to the market, these have moved the goal posts further, they are way more useful than any other SAK plier attachment in my opinion, I've used my Swisstool so many times over the years on jobs that a SAK just wouldn't have coped with.

3. Stryker

Stryker Loaded Pockets

After 20 years in the military I like redundancy and choices that allow me to fit a tool to the task - even at the expense of a little weight...

I carry a LM Supertool 300 in a belt-mounted Skinth, a SAK Climber in my weak side front pocket and a Benchmade 940-2 clipped to my strong side front pocket.

Today, I sawed door shims with the saw of the ST 300 and whittled them to fit using the ST knife. I cut my fingernails with the scissors on the SAK and cleaned them with its small blade. After a alcohol pad wipe down, I quartered an apple with the BM 940-2 and fed it to a grandchild.

Each one of us has a rationale for their load out. Thanks for reading about mine.

4. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Right now I carry both. I always end up going back to just a knife. I'm carrying a multitool for the time being because my son got it for me.

I've tried to like them and have gone through dozens trying to find one that I can live with. For the most part I find them aggravating to the point I just go get the correct tool for what I'm doing vs trying to make some tiny sub par tool work. Some like them and I'm happy for them but they just aint for me.

Knives I carry 2, a bigger single hand opening lock back of some sort clipped to my pocket and inside the pocket a 3 blade folder. I used to carry a 3rd for food because out in the boonies who wants to use a knife that has been who knows where to cut their sandwich. Medical reasons I don't work so I can use tableware for that function now.

5. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Always both.

I carry a folder in my RF pocket, that's what gets used most when I need a knife.
    I carry a folder in my LR pocket, which is just a backup and almost never gets used.
    I carry a LM Rebar in my LR pocket, of which the blade is almost never used.
    I carry a LM Style on my keys, mainly for the scissors, but it would be my first choice to use in the office or a public place where I might not want to whip out a knife.
    Recently I've been often carrying a fixed blade on my belt, mainly because I made it and I like it, though my main folder is capable of everything I expect to need.

There are tools you carry when you expect to need them, like large fixed blades, axes, and a tool box.
    There are tools you carry when you don't expect to need much, and that's where folders and multi-tools come in.

6. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

At least a knife, but i never carry an MT without a dedicated knife. The knife is always with me, the MT isn't.

7. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

I carry a Swiss Spirit on my belt,it's small and light. In front left pocket,I have a SAK Explorer. Between these two, I have every tool offered by Victorinox. Except for the fish scaler. Right front is a usually a Spyderco folder. This may change in the future seeing as the Canadian border services are getting frisky. And I usually have a small fixed blade handy. If I am wearing my vest, I will often have knipex pliers and a small crescent wrench and a picquic multidriver

8. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

More than both for me. I carry a Leatherman Wave, Swiss Army Super Tinker, and at least 1 knife sometimes 2. Usually either my Paramilitary 2 or Griptilian

9. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Other way around for me. For a time I did carry a dedicated knife daily, but I used it far less than my multi-tool, and even then the m-t knife usually would have done the job. I can recall only a few times when it made sense to carry a blade, once when I spent five hours continually cutting open bags of blown insulation, but that happens seldom in my day to day, while the need for pliers, screwdriver, awl, scissors etc. is daily. I guess it depends on what you do in life.

10. Armen

Armen Empty Pockets

My carry varies:

• Dedicated folder (Mini grip, grip, para 2 or Delica 4) + Squirt PS4 or Swiss Army signature on keychain
    • Swisschamp
    • Cybertool 34
    • Skeletool CX + bit kit and extender in bag.

11. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

For me, it depends on the day. Typically just a SAK, which I guess is a MT. Sometimes a full size MT is needed, in which case I'll add a dedicated folder.

12. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

LM Surge, Benchmade 941. The 941 is for precision, or if I need something sharp extremely rapidly. The surge blade is for beater work. Rust and immolation, but 420 stainless is a worthless steel.

13. lex_luthor

lex_luthor Empty Pockets

Both. I carry a LM Squirt on a dangler clip LF pocket with my AAA flashlight also on a dangler clip and a Kershaw Dividend in RF pocket. It's amazing how much use my LM gets!

14. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Knife....and dedicated pliers & scissors as needed.

15. Wildcat14

Wildcat14 Loaded Pockets

Always both. That said, I did get a skeletool yesterday and am going to try just carrying it around the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

When I carry a charge tti, I don't carry a knife. I carry with a pocket clip so it's there when I need it. I just bought a swisstool spirit x which will reside in a case on my belt, so I'll carry a knife for when I just need to cut things. That knife will be my spyderco military ti/cf.

17. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

My answer is tricky and here is why. Recently I got rid of "ALL" of my knives except for my Buck because I use it for cutting food stuff at work. Sits on a shelf with the can opener and all my food containers.

That aside I went from SAK to a Benchmade and more to the point I was getting anxious. I finally found a happy medium that is useful, removes the anxiety, and is logical.

For work only:
    Right-side Leatherman Charge TTi
    Left-side Milwaukee Fastback version 3

Daily EDC (outside of work)
    Leatherman Skeletool "ONLY"

I no longer use sheaths, strictly clips and usually in my pocket. Other locations depending on the circumstances.

I am much happier this way and makes the most sense. In fact I even got rid of a lot of the crap on my keychain. Granted I will ALWAYS have a carabiner (climbing quality) and a flashlight on my keychain. Something small and light and not expensive. Basically something I will find at Target.