1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

MRE's or something else

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by toddtheknifegeek, Jan 15, 2010.

1. toddtheknifegeek

toddtheknifegeek Loaded Pockets

Been thinking of getting a few mre's to have around. Any one have a suggestion on where/what to buy? Or is there a mre alternative that is better/cheaper?. I have never messed with any prepared meals before, please pardon my ignorance.

2. lynnaea

lynnaea Empty Pockets

I have a few cases of HeaterMeals EX (www.heatermeals.com). I sampled a few of them and they're tasty, some flavors more so than others. Whether they're what you want or not depends on the form factor - they're much bulkier than, say, a clif bar, so they're not quite so portable, and they leave a fair amount of trash when you're done with them (box, tray, spent chemical heater, etc.). They're also a very expensive way of building food storage as opposed to buying staples like dried beans or flour in bulk. But for having a few cases in a closet in case of an extended enforced stay at home (power outage, hurricane, pandemic, etc.) to supplement other, less expensive measures, they're not a bad option.

3. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

:help: MRE FLASHBACKS.....NNNNOOOOOOOOO! ;D
    actually, A few weren't bad, and they have probably gotten lots better in last 2 decades...
    but now you can get full meal replacement bars about everywhere- for the nutrition and sense of being full....
    a few bullion cubes +/or dried soup packets can give you "hot food" to warm up....
    the above is what's in our families BOB's....and they get traded out each year - yeah, I still eat the expired ones. :rolleyes:

all that said, if you've never...you should...everyone should have the MRE "pleasure" at least once! :ready:

4. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

quinoa
    canned meat products
    ramen
    bisquick
    backpacking meals
    :censored: sauce

5. tonyp

tonyp Loaded Pockets

Solo, Could you mention the name of the "meal replacement bars"?

6. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

Cheaper Than Dirt sells "Voo-doo Tactical" meals. These feature good new Mil-surp entrees and lots of extras, as compared to now illegal to buy Military contract MRE's. They are pricey, at $100.00 per case of twelve meals' plus shipping, but are quite good. A buddy just got some for backpacking food and we liked them.

7. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

Hi TonyP - sure... I tend to pick up stuff at GNC, as I'm a member there and I'm there around first of month anyway....(each first week of the month members get discounts)

I like the Met-Rx bars or the Meso-tech...I tend to also like the berry flavors or the coffee flavored bars if I can get them...but we tried them out with the kids and wife and they like the more traditional chocolate/peanut butter combo's...

Walmart and places like that also carry a good selection too - I'm sure there are lots of great brands. The big thing (to me) in a BOB situation is trying to get "good calories" packed with carbs/protein about evenly, but I'll take what I can get. 2000 calories would be 4ish bars...they run 1-2 dollars a bar... hundreds of good choices I am sure...

Lots of places are selling these bars individually now...so you can "try 'em out" before you buy a case. They usually don't melt in extreme heat (check it out individually) and I've eaten them about frozen on trips and they are ok...and they last about a year by expiration date. they don't have a long shelf life life like MRE's to be sure...but I eat the older ones on trips and re-supply our bags with newer ones...

Sorry for those not in US, I don't know the availability of these bars elsewhere....
    lots better than MRE's (to me) but i still contend everyone should try some MRE's.....cause misery loves company! :) :evilgrin:

8. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Would also checkout "Backpackers Pantry" or "Mountain House" meals if you're considering MREs.

9. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

Dare I ask :censored: is :censored: sauce?

10. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

Illegal? I purchased a few cases of MREs from CTD a few years ago. Why are they illegal now?

11. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

I could be wrong, but I believe that is what some folks call Sriracha.

12. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

Genuine Military MRE's are illegal to sell. However, the same companies that manufacture MRE's for the Gov't also make "civilian versions" of the same MRE's that are ok for companies and individuals to sell.

13. FRagman1967

Military contract rations, IE, real military packaged MREs, issued to troops cannot be sold legally now. They are contraband. I am sure there are many thousands of ex-issue MREs out there, sold at gun shows and army/navy stores and such, but I was advised that ALL authentic mil-issue MREs are now contraband.
    I think it's an unenforcable law, due to the sheer quantities of these rations, but it is now illegal to sell even expired and "removed from stock" MREs.

This law does not affect over-runs of entrees, or componants. But the whole bagged meal. You may purchase "civilianised" MREs through many places. Just be aware that all Military Issued MREs in the original packages are now illegal to sell and possess.

14. tonyp

tonyp Loaded Pockets

I was in the Marines in the 60's and I'm one of the 5% who loved c-rats. Anyone know where they can be purchased for a reasonable price?

15. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like MRE'S they are not bad. I would probally would not like them if I had to eat them all the time.

16. jfirebalrog

jfirebalrog Empty Pockets

I wish someone would make some civilian friendly FSR's(First Strike Rations) and Winter MRE's.By the way those considering Mountain House or other freezedried foods you have to weigh(literally) the fact that Mre's have as many calories a two of the 2 person meals in most cases,they are still much lighter per calorie but don't forget the water and fuel/stove to prepare them.I still haven't found"The" solution.May be FSR's will be part of it.

17. tradja

tradja Loaded Pockets

:lol2:

[​IMG]

As noted by RockyNomad, I sure hope jehan60188 is referring to the awesomeness that is also known as Sriracha. It has a rooster (":censored:") on the bottle.

Mrs. Tradja and I just say "sriracha" ("shree-rotch-ah")

Mrs. Tradja just won a few Mountain House items from work (an outdoor gear e-tailer). I've been less than impressed with calories, value, and flavor in the past but I'll give it another shot.

18. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

yup, :censored: sauce is great because it doesn't require refrigeration after opening- perfect for disaster preparedness!
    as far as what has a high calorie count- oil/butter/ghee it's pure calories, and for TGB situation, you're going to keep on moving, and not worry about taste/nutrition/etc. combine this with good protein sources, and vitamins, and you can go on indefinitely

19. FRagman1967

FSR's would be the newer version of the old Viet Nam era LRRP rations, I suspect? We got Lurp rats for chow when I was SRT in the 1980's.
    Cold Weather MRE's are fantastic, but you must have water and a heat source to make them properly, as you stated.

I would like a source for FSRs regardless of their status!