1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

MRE Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Prison Mike, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Prison Mike

Prison Mike Loaded Pockets

I am looking to buy MRE's for backpacking and emergencies (natural disasters-tornadoes).

Anyone have experiences buying online or have suggestions on where to look? I have read you cannot purchase military MRE's and you can only purchase civilian MRE's from companies actually contracted to produce military MRE's. I am not looking for types like Mountain Home, WISE, etc...I want to find the types that have utensils, condiments, heaters, etc...included.

Any help, suggestions or testimonials welcome.

A.B. likes this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

There are better and tastier options...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

3. Prison Mike

I don't doubt it, but I'm looking for an all-in-one package.

A.B. likes this.
  4. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Prison Mike likes this.
  5. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

You might try E-bay--?

6. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

The question is why?
    So many down falls to the MRE over good quality stove and freeze dried meals.

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think the question is the one the OP asked.
    How is your deciding to question his question helpful in any way?
    There are a lot of reasons that MREs can be an advantage if you really think about it.

I buy from The Ready Store where you can get MRE meals and components individually if you want which can save a lot of space while doing the job too!
    I can carry a dozen Entree's for example in the space of 1 complete meal which really helps for logistics to me.
    They also offer combo packs of a selection that you can not choose from that are really better priced than buying whole meal packs and I can get a lot more for the money that way too!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

mreinfo.com

I am a member over there but not getting anything for the plug. I have gotten a few from guys over the years but it has rather slowed down. The few from overseas was really cool.

Honestly if you want real MREs your best bet it to find a buddy in the military that can get them cheap from the PX. Most you find on fleabay you end up paying double with high shipping costs unless you buy a case at a time. Find yourself with more than one vomlet and you soon regret it. I started off carrying a MRE or 2 with me but over the years have started to just make my own using items you can easily (and cheaply) find. No you can't throw a homemade one behind your seat and maybe forget about it for 2 years (not ideal for even the real ones) but I found I didn't do that anyways.

Prison Mike likes this.
  9. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

Maybe you didn’t read it, but he was asking for ANY help or suggestions, I am trying to help him by getting him to think about why he wants this when there are better options out there.

In a natural disaster situation, there are far more benefits to a stove and quality freeze dried meals than MRE’s. 3 mins of prep when you get a freeze dried meal and you can have spices and utensils attached to the bag.

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is just silly.
    The OP clearly states that he is looking for suggestions about the MRE and then restates later that he needs to find MREs and not anything that needs preparation regardless how simple and great you think the alternatives to an MRE might seem.
    Are you honestly suggesting that you do not understand the difference and obvious advantages in preparation between cutting the package open and squeezing the chow in VS. having to boil water and combine the food and water,let it steep and then use utensils to chow down?

I don't think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 EZDog, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Prison Mike likes this.
  11. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

So you think there are advantages to having to re-hydrate with water that may or may not be available with a stove that you may not have limited fuel for? I would think in a true survival situation the very name MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) speaks volumes. In an emergency situation, canned beanie-weenies (or spaghetti-o's) would be more viable than freeze dried meals.

Prison Mike and EZDog like this.
  12. Prison Mike

I did purchase 2 cases from Optics Planet in the link a few comments above. I will look into The Ready Store though. Optics Planet had some good options, but it doesn’t look like it will ship anytime soon. I like that I could choose some of the ones I like. I have no idea what I am getting other than it was produced by Sopako and one case is menu A and one is B.

You are tracking with my original post. Trying to avoid having to use things like pots, cooking utensils, etc. I will have bottled water and the MRE. That is all I need. I like to keep things as simple as possible.

13. Prison Mike

Just checked The Ready Store out. I got 2 cases from Optics Planet for $20 bucks less than TRS is selling 1. Of course it hasn’t shipped yet and tells me it won’t ship for 20-29 days. I’m guessing TRS ships faster.

14. Enemy Combatant

Enemy Combatant Loaded Pockets

Hate to break it to you, but OpticsPlanet is notorious for shipping delays; even if the last day of their estimate is accurate, your item probably won't "leave" the store for some time after that.... Good luck to you, sir.

Also, military MREs suck overall but chili mac is life!