1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mr_Daves EDC (Was: Took some pictures yesterday)

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by Mr_Dave, May 26, 2008.

1. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave Loaded Pockets

[img width=640 height=617]http://justanotherdave.ca/media/edc/PFII_main_pocket_contents.JPG[/img]
    This is my MaxPed Pygmy FalconII. Attached with slicklocks on the side is a MaxPed M-1, and on the front with slicklocks is a MaxPed FR-1.

The half-litre nalgene goes in the right bottle carrier, and the flak-jaket oakleys in their case goes in the left bottle carrier under the M-1. This is why I used slick-locks instead of malice clips, they let me flip up the M-1 for easier retrieval of the Oakley case. I replaced the shock-cord under the FR-1 with a longer length so I could fit my MEC Rain Jacket (a torrent, I think) easily. Inside the main pocket I carry my work laptop (Toshiba U300), backpack drive (transcend case with 80gb seagate 2.5" drive), Nintendo DS in the aluminum case, whatever paperback I'm reading at the time with a shock-cord wrap to keep it closed, and my big-ben pipe bag (under the oakley case).

[img width=640 height=480]http://justanotherdave.ca/media/edc/PFII_second_pocket_loaded.JPG[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://justanotherdave.ca/media/edc/PFII_second_pocket_contents.JPG[/img]
    The second pocket of the PFII carries (left to right) the power adapter for the laptop, some extra shock cord, sharpie, MiniMagLED, a couple bic pens and a small flat head screwdriver. Second row is a small sewing kit, my iPod headphones (which will be replaced eventually... with... not sure yet) and my business card holder.

[img width=640 height=343]http://justanotherdave.cai/media/edc/M1_contents.JPG[/img]
    The M-1 is my catch-all pouch. (Left to right) 2gb cruzer micro with U3 uninstalled, extra battery for my canon S45, small usb cable and card reader. Second row 3x1gb firefly flash drives (linux live on one, file transfer with another, and utilities on the third), a cheap jet-flame lighter, a bic lighter, a sheath stripper/simple 110D punchdown, and my cigarillo case.

[img width=640 height=607]http://justanotherdave.ca/media/edc/FR1_contents.JPG[/img]
    The FR-1 is a work in progress. I'm slowly turning it into a FAK. Currently it holds my Gerber Ez-Out fine edge skeleton folder, some bandaids, polysporin, and SPF30, as well as my LM Wave (first gen). When I get some time to consult with my roommate (who works as an RT, as well as volunteers for the Canadian Ski Patrol) this FAK will be greatly improved.

[img width=640 height=584]http://justanotherdave.ca/media/edc/pocket_contents.JPG[/img]
    And lastly, the contents of my pockets. The work crackberry stays in the holster on my belt at 2200, the Treo 680, Motorolla H670, and wallet go in the LF pocket. The Carkey/fob and the LM Juice CS4 go in the RF pocket. The biner with all the keys usually gets clipped to a d-ring on the PFII. When I'm at work, the work ring (the one with the RFID fob) goes in the RF pocket too. The valet key is on a seperate ring for when I need to start the car and let it warm up a bit (very rare... it's a TDi, they don't warm up at idle). Bottle opener and MEC turtle-light on another ring.

New additions on the way are a Fenix P2D Premium Q5 Cree, as well as some fauxtons and tritium fobs.

That's the current regular load out. Time to start working on the BOB.

2. chute43

chute43 Loaded Pockets

Re: Took some pictures yesterday

A very high tech EDC, great use of the multiple compartments
    kw

3. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

And by luck or by design The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a great EDC book. I mean he has extra arms as edc.
    Welcome to EDCF

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave Loaded Pockets

I work IT for a small construction company / hotel chain and I'm on call 24/7ish, so it's been rather handy having everything I need with me. Though when I picked up my Juice so I could keep the wave in the PFII, one of the ladies in the office told me she liked the bat belt look on her IT guy. I guess the outward appearance of being prepared no matter what inspires confidence.

Completely by luck, I'm afraid. I just started reading it the day before I took the pictures and didn't make the connection. I'm just starting to read Heinleins stuff, so as time goes on and pictures get updated, expect to see more of Roberts work.

Outside of that, I spent some time Saturday morning with the roommate (She works as an RT as well as does first aid for Canadian Ski Patrol) working on building up the FAK. I need to get a hardcase to put in the FR-1 (after modifying the main elastic strap in it) to hold the squeeze tubes and blister-packed drugs and such. Once that's taken care of I'll inventory it and take pictures.

5. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Good-looking setup! Wow, two Crackberries. :)

6. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave Loaded Pockets

The real crackberry is supplied by work and has voice/email/internet to it. The Palm Treo 680 is my personal phone only has voice/sms service. I thought about downsizing the 680, but I like having a PDA to keep track of my personal stuff. I don't really want to mix work with my personal life anymore than I already do. I've also got a bunch of apps that I use on PalmOS that I haven't found/looked for replacements on the BlackBerry. I keep track of fuel stats for my car, exercise stats for my body, grocery lists.... this sounds like perhaps I should add a post on what makes the Treo a usefull EDC item. I think I may start working on that.

7. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

I completely agree. It's hard enough to keep work and personal life separate without sharing the phone, too.

The idea of a thread about the Treo would be really neat. Coming up on cell phone renewal here and I've been thinking about a PDA phone to replace the current phone, but I don't know where to start.

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave Loaded Pockets

As stated above, my personal phone is a Palm Treo 680. It runs PalmOS 5.4.9 and has 64mb of memory. I guess I'm still not in the mindset of seeing EDC value everywhere as I didn't realise how hard it would be for me to give up my Treo. People have asked me in meat-space why I carry both, and after writing the following I guess I know why. The extra software I've added give the phone immense EDC value in my day to day life, and that's not counting having all my personal contacts :)censored: near everyone I've ever contacted in the last 4 years) with me (including email addresses, street addresses, birthdays and other misc notes) as well as it being a phone (I keep forgetting about that part).

I added an extended battery from siedoonline.com that required a larger back to accomodate the size. The upshot of this is I found it made the phone more comfortable to hold in my hand.

I have a 2GB SD card that is mostly empty that I was using in my previous phone (a Treo 650). Having a mostly empty SD card serves two purposes. I use NVBackup to automatically backup the databases stored on the phone to the card every night at 0100. Second to that, on more than one occasion I've pulled the card and lent it to a friend to put in the their camera when they've run out of space on the card in their camera. The last time was at my (now ex) girlfriends sisters high school graduation. They hadn't cleared the card in their camera in ages and it filled up halfway through. You cannot believe the pout on the mothers face until I realised I could save the day with something I forgot I had on me.

Instead of the built in datebook app that palm provides, I use Datebook 6. I started using datebook 3 on my first palm device, a Handspring Visor. When that died and I picked up a Palm Zire 21 I just couldn't get used to how featureless the standard datebook app was. Datebook6 integrates ToDos into the standard calendar view, you can define styles and icons per category to make things easier to recognize at a glance, and a great number of other features that made it worth much more than the money I spent on it.

I use Athletix to keep track of weight and exercise goals. For a while I fiddled with diet planning programs too, but I found I just wasn't rigid enough in my daily diet for them to be of much use. I may come back to them at a later date.

I use HandyShopper to keep track of grocery lists, as well as clothing to buy, car parts to acquire, and as of late, a list of EDC necessities. It is very flexible and lets you maintain seperate lists for different purposes. You can have each list as simple (a basic checklist) as you want, or have it track per-store pricing when you flip through the weekend flyers.

I use Highway Manager to keep track of fuel purchases and economy for my Golf TDi. Mainly so I can brag about mileage accurately, but also so I can see differences in economy based on where I purchased the fuel, and what time of year.

I use MiniTones to turn MP3s on the SD card into ringtones. Of no real EDC benefit, other than I don't spend money on ringtones so I can spend it on real EDC kit, I guess.

Forgot one, TikTok for timers to keep track of multiple loads of laundry (multiple timers).

All of the above is launched through ZLauncher as I find it easier to use and more customizable.

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave Loaded Pockets

Re: Mr_Dave's EDC (Was: Took some pictures yesterday)

Since the pictures above my loadout has changed rather significantly. The FAK has been built up in the FR-1 to something I can be quite proud of. I no-longer carry the laptop everywhere so the PFII wasn't really necessary. I've since moved to a Maxped Jumbo S-Type and mounted the FR-1 on the back MOLLE point. TK10 and Civilian Labs Pod attached on the MOLLE point on the front pocket with a Pelican 1010 in that pocket.
    [img width=614 height=640]http://justanotherdave.ca/media/edc/tacti-murse-feb2-09.JPG[/img]

I'll see if I can take some content pictures soon, but I wanted to get a photo of the current bag up here and update my sig line.

10. PenRx

PenRx Loaded Pockets

love that black Canadia flag, need to get me one of them soon. Any hints on where you got it?

cheers,
    Sean

11. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave Loaded Pockets

I got mine from Dave's Surplus and Tactical when I was in Vancouver in November, however they do have them on their online store as well here.