1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

MR Java vs Hill People Gear Tarahumara

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by volcomonix, Jan 30, 2017.

1. volcomonix

volcomonix Loaded Pockets

I have a kelty map 3500 that's truly my BOB and I don't want to use it for my EDC bag. I also have a Tumi Luke Roll-top which is currently my EDC bag but I'm finding it's more suited for my short business trips as a one-bag instead of an EDC bag. So now I really got interested in the Java and Tarahumara.

Edit: I completely forgot to add that I'll be bringing my first born child into the world in late May, so this bag will likely become my manbag, diaper bag, etc. whatever you want to call it.

Any advice or opinions, maybe from some owners of either?

Contents on any given day would include:

- surface pro + charger
    - glock g19
    - sure fire eb1 light
    - office keys
    - iphone 7+
    - lightning cable + wall charger
    - adventure medical .5 IFAK
    - small tom bihn ballistic pouch w/ pills,bandaids,antiseptic wipes
    - mini tom bihn balllistic pouch w/ apple headphones
    - 2 pens
    - card holder
    - SAK

That's really it, unless I throw my packable rain jacket and/or lunch sack in there. So i know both bags are big enough to accommodate the contents, but I'd like first hand experience with both if possible.

I know the Tarahumara does NOT have internal organization, so that's something to consider. I like the look of both, as they don't stand out as military style, but could also be something as soon in any urban assault movie or game, e.g. the Division.

2. JFire

JFire Loaded Pockets

I used 5.11 messenger bag as my tactical diaper exchange kit. Organization worked real well as a diaper bag.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

3. PiterM

PiterM Loaded Pockets

In my opinion you're looking for Java. Tarahumara is a cool pack, but it's built for outdoor use. The items you listed would be carried all mixed together at the bottom of your Tara. Also it clearly DOES stands out in the crowd due to unique harness and overall look. So for outdoor I'd certaily direct you to Tarahumara but for 'gray man urban pack' I'd go with Java.

However... you mentioned use as a diaper bag? Take a good look at Urban Assault! It'll be much better diaper bag thanks to big centarl storage and easy access. I know that very well as a father of two ;)

volcomonix likes this.
  4. volcomonix

volcomonix Loaded Pockets

The only thing that concerns me with the 3-way zippers with MR is the fear that they will come unzipped easily with handling the bag.