1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Moving to North Dakota

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Cody_2ZZ, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

Hey All, I'm a grad student/teacher, and I was recently accepted to a university in eastern North Dakota for a PhD program. While I know this is a "travel" section, this seemed the most appropriate place to put this.

I'd love to hear from anyone from ND or currently living in ND. I'm a born-and-bred Californian, but grew up in the high desert, so I'm not stranger to barren landscapes and extreme weather. To be fair though, I usually dealt with extreme hot, but it did get pretty far below freezing regularly.

When not reading or studying, which will take up 90% of my time, I hope to do some hunting and fishing. Regarding EDC, I'm thrilled to be moving somewhere with minimal knife/gun laws. I may even get my CCW!

So any ND folks here? Share your wisdom...

2. Grappler

Grappler Loaded Pockets

I grew up there, I'm guessing either NDSU (Fargo) or UND (Grand Forks) is where you are headed.

One thing to keep in mind is ND/MN do not have CCW reciprocity (subject to change) with each other so that may be something to consider.

Cody_2ZZ likes this.
  3. mrsleeve

mrsleeve Loaded Pockets

As a guy whos done a tour or 2 in the bakken.... if your form CA its going to be VERY VERY VERY cold for you about 75% of the year and especially from Nov- March. Bundle up and learn to drive in the snow, as high desert is one thing but the high plains in that part of the world is a completely different matter most of the winter... Wife is from Duluth

Cody_2ZZ likes this.
  4. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

If you're going to be there in winter, get an oil heater and very warm clothes.

Cody_2ZZ likes this.
  5. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

I know it's going to be a different world up there. I'm really excited about that prospect. I've lived in Los Angeles the last 5 years and I hate nearly everything about it. The people are rude, self-obsessed, and EVERYWHERE. I'm not into going out at night so much, so I don't take advantage of the one thing a big city really offers in the way of entertainment. I'm looking forward to living in a radically smaller town and having a lot more open space around me. I'll definitely be bundling up.

Russ Prechtl likes this.