1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mountain Bike EDC

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by firemtgene74, Jul 6, 2009.

1. firemtgene74

firemtgene74 Empty Pockets

An out of the ordinary tire repair setup I carry on my Mountain Bike. I dont like a lot of bike "clutter" such at bags and packs attached to my bike so I use this cheap and easy alternative. Included are all the needed barts and equipment for an on scene flat repair. All of the components are stored in a water bottle and are easily to get at and are all kept together to reduce the time spent out of the saddle.
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/firemtgene74/1246885295.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/firemtgene74/1246885291.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/firemtgene74/1246885132.jpg[/img]

2. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I work at a bike shop. They actually make a bottle that is specific for that if you want to get one. Its called a bottle rocket. I don't like seat bags either I usually keep everything in my jersey pocket in a small bag which was a seat bag. but your set up is by no means out of the ordinary it is what most of us racers carry actually with a multi tool added. Also just be careful putting any thing with your tube that could put a hole in it while stored in you bottle I keep my tube separate from everything just for that reason. Working in a shop I have seen to many times a tube with a hole form something bouncing around with the tube and piercing it.
    http://img1.qbp.com/6SPsvm45/prodl/WB1525.jpg

3. SnWnMe

SnWnMe Loaded Pockets

For MTn biking, you have to plan on being able to ride the bike home across a broad range of scenarios.

My bushwhacking while solo EDC includes all that plus
    A pump
    Chain tool plus chain repair parts
    Lockjaw pliers so you can bend your rear der. dropout back if you crash and skew it. I have a Crunch.
    Multi and hex key set
    Spoke wrench
    Zip ties
    Duct tape
    Tweezers, small FAK, emergency blanket and a couple of Tiger Milk bars for me.
    S&W 442
    Ka-Bar

Things were added to this list as I experienced scenarios where a need came up and I did not have the proper item for it. For instance, one time we had to call a helo is to evacuate someone who was badly injured. While we were waiting for the bird he got real cold but none of us had a blanket for him. Since then I always carried one.

4. firemtgene74

Just where in the world are you riding....Detroit?

I carry a large selection of equiptment in my Camelbak...this was just my quick tupe repair/ replace kit.

5. ssmtbracer

I have been racing and riding and working in a shop for 10 years now and I have heard of some strange things happen where some of that stuff comes in handy especially zip ties if you have the room to carry that stuff you should if you feel the need. I don't carry anything on my back I use my jersey pockets and water bottle cages for my water. So I personally carry the bare min. Tube, co2, multi-tool, patchkit and cell phone. But I also ride a SS 29er so not much to go wrong there. SS(single speed)

6. chadillac58

chadillac58 Loaded Pockets

SSMT Who makes that that bottle rocket? Did a search and came up with everything but... Thanks

7. nothingfuture

nothingfuture Empty Pockets

My standard EDC on the mtn bike is as follows:

2 Spare tubes
    4 Links of chain
    Crank Bros. multi tool (allen set, chain tool, spoke wrench, etc...)
    Mini Pump
    70oz Camelback bladder
    Handful of zipties
    Granola bar or 2
    FAK

plus wallet/cell/keys
    That's gotten me out of everything.

I'd be careful carrying too much weight in a water bottle- on most frames have the bosses riveted in, and I've seen them get loose/pop out when overloaded.

nf.

8. ssmtbracer

You can't fit enough in a water bottle or even a bottle rocket (http://img1.qbp.com/6SPsvm45/prodl/WB1525.jpg )for the bottle bosses to come lose if you have a 24oz bottle full of water that weighs more than a tube a couple co2 and some levers. If the bosses came off they were no good anyway and need to be replaced.

9. ssmtbracer

The brand name according to QBP (quality bike products) is cage rocket. I know if you go to any bike shop you can get it because it comes from QBP. And all shops that are worth going to use QBP as one of there suppliers.

10. minew

minew Empty Pockets

that bottle idea is great! I am not a fan of saddle bags or paniers and I hit the trails and commute to work regularily. I always use my many camel baks for hydration and to carry my items:
    Spare Tube
    Patch kit
    Park Tool multi tool
    5 spare chain links
    mini pump
    leatherman knife
    energy bar
    spare cash
    and the usual keys, wallet and phone
    I think I am going to try out that bottle. It'll lighten the load on my back a bit and make room for more lunch at work!

11. SnWnMe

SnWnMe Loaded Pockets

We have Mtn lions here in SoCal. The pig sticker rides on the Camelbak's strap while the wheelgun rides in my cargo pocket :) I also have them arranged weak side and strong side so that way if the cat pounces me I have a chance regardless of what side I land on.

12. chadillac58

chadillac58 Loaded Pockets

Thanks found it. Not a bad deal for a dry box. Figure never know when you might get caught in the rain. Thanks again.

13. firemtgene74

Killer cats.....Crackheads.....same difference except a Mountain Lion cant give you Hepatitis.

14. Street

Street Loaded Pockets

15. tennvol

tennvol Empty Pockets

This is what I pack

Seatpack contains:
    - 3 Quik Stick tire levers
    - 2 tubes
    - 2 patch kits (the ones with glue)
    - 1 quickflate w/3 cartridges
    - 1 mini bike multitool
    - 2 chain links

Waistpack contains

- Cell Phone, in plastic bag (incase it rains)
    - Small FAK
    - 1 Crank Brothers mini pump
    - Multitool
    - 1 spoke (I have a Cane Creek wheelset - non standard spokes)
    - 1 anti itch stick
    - 4 quarters, 5 x $1 bill
    - copy of DL, carry permit, and insurance card
    - SW 642, w /1 reload
    - Can of fox labs spray (in pouch on waistpack belt)
    - 2x packet energy gel
    - 1 energy bar
    - duct tape rolled around pump handle
    - 4x zip ties
    -1x spare keys for car

I still roll old school with waterbottles. Not much for a Camelbak and the weight on my back when I'm hunched over my bike.

I don't live in a bad area but often times have come across people in the woods who aren't too friendly. I suppose comming along the trail quietly and happening upon their questionable activity makes them a bit pissed off.

16. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I am carrying...

Pump (which fits on a mount alongside the bottle cage)
    Spare tube
    Small tool (allen keys)
    Emergency toolkit (a small box that mounts to the seatpost containing some basic tools (inc chain tool) and puncture repair kit)
    Leatherman
    Drink of some form

The pump, water and toolkit mount to the bike, and the other bits either go in pocket if on a short ride, or in a rucksack with jacket/first aid kit/food if out for longer

17. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I carry similar, but I prefer to carry two bottles of water... or an additional Nalgene hydration pack.

What I usually carry, besides my usual EDC (includes a knife and light.. in pockets):
    - small Park-Tool multitool
    - Victorinox SwissTool Spirit
    - spare 26" tube
    - 3 CO2 12g canisters
    - 1 CO2 inflator
    - tire levers
    - patch kit
    - extra Clif bars and Hammer gels

If I'm also taking my hydration pack, I have a FAK with duct tape in it, one or two more tubes, and a small pump, like my small Blackburn or Crank Bros pump.

I don't like using jersey pockets when mountain biking. I wear cargos over padded bike shorts instead.

18. Captain. Glock

Captain. Glock Empty Pockets

I carry a camelbak hydration pack, a small FAK, a spare inner tube, a small bike pump, a couple allen wrenches, some granola bars, a benchmade grippy, a leatherman juice, a whistle, a chain repair kit, some zip ties, my wallet, my keys, and my cell phone.

19. goforbroke

goforbroke Loaded Pockets

I just bought this frame bag last week and it works great for my needs. They also have a larger version but it might get in the way of your water bottle cage depending on the size of your bike.
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_167563_-1_201459_10000_201460

I put the following items in my bag.
    -bike pump
    -extra inner tube
    -knife
    -wallet
    -phone
    -keys

Their was more space in the bag to fit basically whatever else I needed but thats all I carry for my rides.

20. Justin

Justin Empty Pockets

I have a camelbak with a nice little pocket that allows me to carry multi tool, 2 lengths of chain, chain breaker, Tire tool, extra tube, CO2, and a cell phone. I don't ride too far away from my Truck, so I've never needed much more than that.