1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Motorcyclists, bikers, scooterboys - let's see your lids

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Lone Airedale, May 10, 2013.

1. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

you just opened a whole can of worms, here we go.....

dude im sick of seeing bikes for sale that include helmets...I DONT WANT YOUR DIRTY SWEATY HELMET! ITS NOT A SELLING POINT!
    I dont do used helmets, like you said, you dont know whats happened to them.
    I use only new helmets and take care of them/dont drop them.

but i disagree with your three year lifespan rule - otherwise all racing orgs would make you swap them out at that time, now most use SN ratings for 7 years or so. (NHRA, AMA (rip), AHDRA (rip), ManCup, NHDRO etc etc etc at IHRA and NHRA tracks all over the country)

2. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I guess that's another reason why I like my current HJC. The inner liner comes out & is washable :D

Thanks for the correction on the life-span btw. I must admit that I haven't looked in to UV-resistance for a decade or so. 3 to 5 years was recommended for affordable helmets (it depends on what the helmet is made from, some more expensive helmets last well up to over a decade if they're taken care of properly) back then but it makes sense that the technology improved with time.

3. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

just, for example - NHRA allowed SN2005 helmets until at least 2012 (I replaced mine then). So thats 7 years of one helmet. They might still allow them, not 100% as I have a newer one now and quit paying attention to it.
    NOW
    also keep in mind these are race helmets - used for maybe an hour a weekend 10 weekends a year (or so). They arent out weekly for long periods of time. But they are also really concerned with safety. So I dont know.
    I wouldnt keep my street helmet for 7 years.

4. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I could only find a TÜV and a ECE-R-22-05 approval sticker on mine but nothing about UV-resistance. I'll have to check with my dealer about that next time I see her. I bought this one in 2010 though, so I should be good for now.

That's another thing to be careful with btw, stickers. The glue in them can also damage the helmet's outer layer.

5. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

Shark RSI Kharma. Quite noisy but comfortable and doesn't fog inside...

[​IMG]

Most cheap helmets are made of different variations of glassfiber. Composite (and expensive ones) are made with kevlar, carbon fiber and other layer materials.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  6. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Lol, didn't know the life span without impact was that short. Did know your soposed to replace after impact, but I could never afford it for a long time; You guys will love the age of my ATV helmet... second hand at a garage sale about 15 years ago... IIRC from knowing the kid I got it from, it was probably 10 years old then.

About 12 years ago, I flipped 3 atvs, and rolled 2 snowmachines wearing it, in about a 9 month perriod(Adventurous would be a mild way to describe my offroad ridding style in those days ;) ) ...

It looks like its been drug behind a truck for 5 miles on a gravel road, lol.. DId get drug once, but not real far...

Still worked good at absorbing impact the last time I wrecked with it(and I get the feeling its amazing it still worked at that point :rolleyes:) , That helmet and those wrecks are one reason I quite wearing helmets; the weight of it gave me pretty bad whiplash in one of those wrecks, almost broke my neck...

Should probably replace it, even if I only wear it once or twice a year** when snowmobiling, huh? ;)

Gary.
    **(gave up ATVing after wrecking my last one about 9 years ago-- Don't ride sleds like that anymore either, after dislocating a hip and nearly breaking my back about 6 years ago)

7. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

I would guess you could try an off-road helmet...
    A new one, even full face, will be lighter than your old one. Plus off-road ones have a wider opening that will limit your peripheral vision a bit less and your snow googles will fit. Most likely you'll have a local shop that let you try a couple helmets for five or ten minutes...

8. OreoGaborio

OreoGaborio Loaded Pockets

the SNELL year doesn't equate to manufacture date which is usually printed on the label stuck on the EAS lining underneath the comfort liner, the chin strap or sometimes the D ring on the chin buckle... my racing org allows SNELL of any year, but has a 5 year date of manufacture limit.

GG_Blaisdell likes this.
  9. OreoGaborio

Buy a new one that doesn't weight as much as a small child! :p

AK Adventurer likes this.
  10. OreoGaborio

UV rays don't affect the helmet all that much as far as I know. It's not so much the shell but the inner foam that degrades over time. Sweat, rain, temp fluctuations break it down very slowly over time.

Take2 likes this.
  11. SadFace
    • In Omnia Paratus

SadFace Loaded Pockets

Shoei RF-1100 with smoked visor

12. Xiii
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

I wear a shorty or a bushranger skull cap
    Xiii

13. JoeHyder

JoeHyder Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I wear an Icon Alliance, "Harbinger" is this particular design. Also have a smoke/mirrored visor for when I know I'll be home before dark. Doesn't fog, way better wind protection than my KBC or HJC. Also, on either the KBC/HJC the difference between vents open/vents closed was unnoticeable. I always had to touch/feel to see if they were open or closed, which really didn't matter because opening/closing made no difference. The Icon I can tell by feel/airflow if my vents are in use or not.

14. OreoGaborio

How bout another action shot :p

[​IMG]

reppans likes this.
  15. Chopper

Chopper Loaded Pockets

WOW !...those visors have been illegal here in the UK for years.

16. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Any idea why?

17. OreoGaborio

Too ugly :p

I kiiiiid! That's actually a pretty cool lookin lid

18. Rattlecan
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rattlecan Loaded Pockets

First post yay! Anyway..... I have had many helmets, and found my favorite to be a biltwell gringo helmet. Painted it with a custom rattlecan paint job in royal blue. My bike is a harley seventy-two so it's fitting!

19. Rattlecan
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rattlecan Loaded Pockets

You look like a total bada$$

20. OreoGaborio

lol. thanks.

Wins don't happen often. Gotta celebrate in style when ya steal one.:p