1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Motorcycle edc

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by BaldEagle5556, May 2, 2010.

1. BaldEagle5556

BaldEagle5556 Loaded Pockets

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and I was wondering about motorcycle edc. Basically looking for two thoughts. One is the "minimal edc" that a motorcyclist would have for going to and from work or day trips. The second is for a "longer trip" 3 to 10 days. I have saddle bags, a tank bag and luggage bag which I use on my 1999 Suzuki Intruder 1500LC.

I am planning a "wild hog" trip with my buddies this summer (early July) as part of my 60th year celebration

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks

Tom

2. RFA3

RFA3 Loaded Pockets

welcome to the forum ,
    i also ride and have been perfecting my gearfor years .one great website is aerostitch.com if you don't already know, they have tons of great ideas in thier catalog. happy birthday and always ride safe happy trails..
    [​IMG]

eddiejester likes this.
  3. BaldEagle5556

BaldEagle5556 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Man... I ordered their catalogue.

4. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I don't ride anymore - or at least for now - since I smashed my leg and foot in an accident. When I was riding, I use a 5.11 Side Trip briefcase (quite large bag, rather than simple briefcase), bungied to my pillion seat. Worked quite well, even through my accident.

5. squatch

squatch Loaded Pockets

My Cycle EDC (for a KLR650 that's used for commuting and occasional adventure tours):

Tool Kit in bicycle tool wrap. Most bikes have a pathetic tool kit (except BMW). Basically make sure you have the right tools necessary for shadetree repairs and field adjustments. I use my EDC tools for all my bike maintenenace to make sure I have what I need to do the work in the woods.

Tire kit: Tire irons, puncture repair kit, bicycle pump, tire gauge.

Misc maintenance/repair kit: Quart of oil. Tow buddy. Chain Lube. And some water is a good idea. And JB Weld. Zip ties. Duct tape. Electrical tape. Spare fuses.

For a longer trip I basically load it up with ultralight backpacking gear. Plus a few amenities (eg kermit chair - a very nice camping chair). Plus spare tubes, spare bulbs, etc. And a hydration pack. And GPS. :)

I have three pelican cases mounted for commuting. The topcase is dedicated for a briefcase. The sidebags are used for EDC, raingear, etc.

For longer tours I throw on a wolfman tank bag and some larger aluminum panniers, like these.
    [​IMG]

I can post more detailed lists/pics if wanted.

BTW, Aerostich/Riderwearhouse is an awesome store and is located relatively close to Thunder Bay in Duluth!

Take2 likes this.
  6. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I do a lot of weekender trips and then at least on big trip every year. Squatch gave you the basic minimalist EDC for motorcycles. Though you shouldn't need tubes or tire irons for your big Intruder, I like the Slime compact air compressor. Takes up the same space as a CO2 tire inflation kit, but is reuseable. I'd recommend hitting http://www.powerletproducts.com and wiring in an accessory plug. These are good for air compressors, heated clothing, cellular phones, and jumpstarting a bike with a cable run to a buddies bike. Also, I'm quite fond of the Helen2Wheels Clothes Sack system. I've been through many a storm with it tied on the back of my bike and never had wet gear.

Tire repair kit
    Tire inflation
    Tools
    Zip Ties, Duct Tape, Rags & Plexus for your windshield or visor.
    FAK
    rain gear
    bike lock
    bike cover

Me and my 1995 BMW R1100GS....we were only together for 2 months.....R.I.P.(pieces)
    [​IMG]

Take2 likes this.
  7. THERoxyStarr

THERoxyStarr Loaded Pockets

Hello all!
    I wish I could contribute to this thread, but alas, I do not own a bike (yet!) However, after a lot of exposure this weekend I realized that there are a LOT of Biker EDCrs! If there are any on here, or if you have something you do differently while riding, post em here!

And hopefully I'll be able to post my own someday soon :D

Dok J likes this.
  8. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

Shark RSI Kharma helmet. Double D chin-strap, tricomposite, mostly white for visibility. Clear and smoked visors.
    Dainese jackets: Belgarda in winter, Shotgun in summer. Both with Wave 2 back protectors.
    Alpinestars GPX gloves in summer, SiDi racing gloves or BKS goretex gloves for winter.
    Alpinestars SMX R boots when just riding or Panama Jack boots for conmuting.
    Lipbalm and chewing gum. I use them often, but if I'm on my bike they are in my jacket's right pocket. Always.
    Oxford and Luma locks.
    Acerbis handguards.
    Cheap bungee net on rear seat.
    Assorted tools in a plastic bag under the seat.
    I'll snap some photos tomorrow when there's some natural light.

When I'm riding all my pockets contents get tranfered to the jacket's pockets, just because they have zippers.

Slightly offtopic: What bikes are you eyeing THERoxyStarr?

9. THERoxyStarr

THERoxyStarr Loaded Pockets

Awesome!
    Within my price range, I'm eyein up a Honda Rebel or a Suzuki Intruder 800. Not the best, but good starter bikes that won't break the bank!

beast and Dok J like this.
  10. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:p The Rebel was one of the very few that I was actually able to fit on. hahahah :p Needless to say, I don't have a bike (I do have my license, though). :oops: It's too hard to get one in my size without it being like... a pocket bike or heavily modded.

11. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

Just saying... Yamaha TW, Suzuki Van Van... :rolleyes: Scramblers look cool!

mooshisho likes this.
  12. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

too many accidents, I don't ride anymore. I have a '89 softail collecting dust in the barn.

13. mud390

mud390 Loaded Pockets

Helmet - Shoei RS1000
    Jacket - Icon Contra Mesh (summer) or Joe Rocket, of which the model escapes me, non mesh textile (winter)
    Gloves - First Gear short (summer) or Icon Patrol (winter)
    Boots - BMW Gortex Touring
    Pants - Sliders Kevlar lined jeans or khakis
    Shirt - Usually something wicking like Under Armour

On my bike I have a Kriega US10 as a tail bag with a small rag always in there. Factory tool kit under the seat with a couple of extra items. I also have my GPS on a Ram Mounts mount. I use that same mount for my GoPro when I feel like taking pictures/video of my mundane rides.

14. YLR2312

YLR2312 Loaded Pockets

15. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

Sorry it took this long. Computer's graphic card burned up, then tripod mount broke... :(

Summer Winter
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Forgot Dainese D-Dry pants and several buffs... Summer one has rubber inserts so it doesn't move when pulling the helmet on, winter one is windstopper and fleece fabric upper...

16. Dirt Rickler

Dirt Rickler Loaded Pockets

any new two wheeled activity?

AK Adventurer likes this.
  17. OreoGaborio

OreoGaborio Loaded Pockets

Nice bump. Good to see some other two wheel hooligans on here. :)

Haven't been riding since early December but my buddies are trying to get me to go Ice riding. Unfortunately my work schedule doesn't really allow for it.

Original post is pretty old, but to answer the question anyway, my "miminmalist short street ride EDC" isn't much different than my normal walking around EDC (wallet, keys, keychain tool & light, phone, etc) with the exception of my riding gear.

Haven't done any trips longer than a day, but when I do longer all-day street rides I usually stick a couple of snack bars under the rear seat, maybe sling my camelback over my riding jacket.
    (My camelback actually "saved" a friend of mine one day. It was a SUPER hot day and she ended up suffering pretty badly from heat & dehydration. After a while, her and her husband convinced us to carry on with the ride, so we split off from them at a rest stop at their request and I left them my camelback for whenever they finally decided to make the ride home. They stuck around for a little while until she felt better and made it home safe & sound.)

For dirt riding, I almost always bring my camelback unless I'm going to a motocross track (which isn't often).

When I head to the track, well, that's a whole other story... I throw a TON of stuff in my enclosed trailer, from my bikes to my bed, from my two big tool chests to my laptop, and of course a tall mini-fridge full of cold beer for the evening shenanigans. :D

Last edited by OreoGaborio, Feb 3, 2013
    Take2 and AK Adventurer like this.
  18. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

[​IMG]

Wish you hadn't brought this up, the wait for spring is killing me... snowmobiles are fun too, but it just don't scratch that itch... WANNA RIDE!! ;)

I don't really add anything to my regular EDC for on the bike other than the obvious leather jacket, and I carry some leather gloves for cold/wet. Helmet is optional depending on my mood.... All I carry on the bike is a Modded Leatherman Surge added to the factory tool kit.

Also carry saddle bags, rear seat and helmet, all three empty for anything I might pick up along the way... ;)

But all I do is 50 Mi. max round trips to work and back, and the occasional ~100 to ~200 mile day trips looping through the more winding back roads and criss crossing the county.

G.

Take2 and CSM-101 like this.
  19. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

+1 +50 on that

Did get a ride in a few weekends ago, temps went up to the high 50's/low 60's and Dad and I were GONE! Lots of snow, ice, salt (grumbles) and temps in the teens since. Soon however...soon.

eddiejester and AK Adventurer like this.
  20. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've been thinking about this myself. I'll shoot some pics of my bike-EDC once the weather gets better (might take a few months unfortunately).

What I always carry is:

-a can of (silicon based) chain lube
    -a little bottle of chainsaw oil for in my Tutoro chain oiler & a little syringe for easy refilling.
    -a tire repair kit including CO2 capsules
    -tire pressure gauge
    -ear plugs
    -multitool (besides the standard tool-kit underneath the buddy-seat, which I've given my own twist of course)
    -rain gear in summer time (my winter suit is already waterproof so I don't need it in the winter)
    -rain covers for my boots
    -tie-rips (large)
    -phone/tablet USB charger (I've made two outlets underneath the buddy, 5 &12 Volt. I mostly use them out on camping trips though)

& on long trips in winter times I always carry an extra pair of gloves I keep under my bike suit to keep them warm & change gloves every hour or so.

& I also carry a few of these at all times (I don't know what they are called in English):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camping gear is more complicated and always changes (somewhat), it still improves with each journey & my main goal is to lighten it continuously (for sheer riding pleasure).

But packed up it looks something like this:

old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

new
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit: here is what it looks like unpacked:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

& last year, with newer bike & added chair for my aging back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by Take2, Feb 3, 2013
    eddiejester, Land, dcmassena and 2 others like this.