1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Motorbike EDC

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Xavierdoc, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Xavierdoc

Xavierdoc Empty Pockets

I use my bike daily (except when there is snow or ice!) and it has its own EDC setup and requirements.

Since adding some quality quick release waterproof panniers (Givi) I have fallen into the trap of expanding my gear to fill the available space. This means I now have sensible stuff (toolkit, tyre seal-and-inflate, cargo bungees) and "less sensible" stuff (pelvic binder, airway, I.V cannula and fluids, giving set etc!)

I also have a Garmin Zumo 660 satnav mounted to the bars which can control my phone and play music, apparently, and I've wired my tank bag so that it can recharge phone etc. on the go.

Any other bikers on here? What do you EDC on bike?

2. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I found that a Sitka works great for a bike. When I'm stopped at a light I can just swing it around and grab what I need.

3. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

I'm a bike nut! It's my number 1 passion.
    I've always carried a satchel of some kind, or plain old backpacks.
    Lately I've been using a Maxped Lunada, and am now trying a Sitka. I keep all my EDC in the bag.

When I go away for several days I carry a swag on my bike.
    These pics were taken a few years ago. I have a different bike now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. HybridMomentsPass

biker here too

dont carry a lot with me on normal days, just a few zipties and MT and latex gloves (for colder nights) and ziplock bags incase it rains

5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I just bought one of these a couple of weeks ago. It was a present for my son in St. Pete, so I guess I'll have to hop a plane in order to get to drive it.
    [​IMG] Florida made, Gorilla Motor works, carbon fiber.

6. Xavierdoc

Xavierdoc Empty Pockets

Great pics, folks. I have never like using a rucksack on a bike (for any length of time) but a Sitka or Maxped versipak has appeal from the easy-access point of view. Rain is a major consideration for me, though.

When I was younger I always derided hard panniers but they are sooo practical!

Scooters are a lot of fun for a little gas. Not something a biker would generally admit to in the UK...

7. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    I tried to talk him into this one.

8. rocketdog

rocketdog Loaded Pockets

First aid kit
    tool kit with locking pliers, wrenches, socket driver, spark plug socket, micro multi-tool, Crescent wrench, lighter, electrical tape, 4-way screwdriver, hex and torx keys, zip ties, wire, thread-lock, heat shrink tubing, spark plug gap wrench
    headlamp
    LED flashlight
    spare sunglasses
    spare clear glasses (for riding at night)
    lens cloth for above
    kickstand pad
    plastic laminated state road maps
    3x5 notepad, pens
    12V air compressor
    tire plug kit
    spare fuses
    bungee cords and bungee cord cargo net
    WD-40
    rain suit
    beanie (hat)
    baseball cap
    spare gloves
    tire pressure gauge
    insulated neck gaiter
    tissues
    duct tape
    Gold Bond powder
    sunscreen
    bandanna
    elastic hair bands (for my girlfriend)
    AA batteries
    GPS

plus the stuff on me when I ride - iPod, Bluetooth headphones, cell phone, multitool, pocket knife.

I have hard saddlebags with internal lid organizers (pockets) and a windshield pouch. Believe it or not, I still have room for 2 helmets, a light jacket, my girlfriend's purse, and other miscellaneous items!

Good grief, that's a lot of stuff!

9. EdB999

EdB999 Loaded Pockets

Not much room under the seat on a sportsbike, although mines a lot better than most (954 fireblade). Just got the standard tool kit, some zip ties, an old torch, a couple bungees and a fold up backpack. Keep meaning to pick up a puncture repair kit!

10. wertyu2007

wertyu2007 Empty Pockets

11. kwak

kwak Loaded Pockets

Wow some of you guys carry more on your bikes than i do in all my cars put together :eek:

Another sportsbike rider here, so i just have a very very basic tool kit under the seat, as i pass through a fair number of toll roads i took to fitting a tank bag.
    This lets me keep any change or electronic toll passes in it, it also has a clear plastic cover so i can see my phone if it rings.

Don't really bother with waterproofs.
    Love getting lost on my bikes so no GPS
    Not had a puncture in 30 years of racing, touring and daily riding so no puncture repair kit or pump.

Pretty location specific but i do find a dark tinted visor is essential for riding here in Greece, so i have a spare clear visor in a visor bag around my waist (under my jacket if i'm wearing one).

Helmet is a legal requirement here but if riding through down town Athens in summer it gets hot to the point of passing out, so i don't wear a helmet if riding down town or going to the beach (don't want sand in my helmet).

Other than that, that's about it.

12. rocketdog

rocketdog Loaded Pockets

When I rode a standard (Triumph Bonneville) if it didn't fit in my pockets, it didn't get carried. Now, I carry everything but the kitchen sink. I tell myself I bought a bigger touring bike so I could carry more stuff, but I think I carry more stuff because I got a bigger bike!

13. kwak

kwak Loaded Pockets

:laugh:
    :laugh:

And logic would dictate that you'd NEED to carry more stuff on the Bonny to repair it :nyah:

I'm trying to think of the last time a bike broke down on me and off the top of my head it was in the mid 80's when my 350LC seized up on me.

Apart from crashing i honestly don't think i've had a bike fail on me since then, and this from a guy that had only a motorbike as his daily (no car) for over 10 years, toured Europe with me Mrs on the back, raced, did track days etc etc.
    I was doing just over 40k miles a year on my CBR.

Apart from say a flat tyre, blown bulb, fuse etc there is not many things you can fix on modern bikes at the side of the road, so i never saw the point of carrying anything apart from the factory tool kit and some tyre gel.

Cheers
    Mark

14. HybridMomentsPass

rocket - what are you riding?
    I see youre down in the Queen City - Im just about an hour north of you.

15. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

Calling any Aussie bikers out there who live within the vicinity of Melbourne.

I live near Warragul in Gippsland and wouldn't mind organizing a ride or 3 with some like minded EDCers :)

16. hiddensoul

hiddensoul Loaded Pockets

Hi Mate, I am in Drouin so just down the road, drop me a line some time on hiddensoul@twistedsouls.com Name is Mark and we can organise a ride... I cant do much until after christmas as I need to get a new battery for the beast it died on me this week and I have to get through christmas before I can afford one, hope to chat soon cheers

17. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

G'day Mark

Haha yeah I'm flat out till after Christmas too, and the weather ain't helping' much for a nice day ride.

I'll drop ya a line as soon as I get a clear run.

As you live so close you'll know the area, and I'm about 7k's south of Darnum in Cloverlea.
    Lotsa great bike roads round here...at least they were until the useless baw baw shire let the pot holes grow too big and now some of 'em are not much better than goat tracks LOL

18. Lev

Lev Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I carry the bare minimum when riding. The essentials are my phone and breakdown recovery card.
    Apart from that, its just a folder and whatever is on my keyfob .

[​IMG]

As I ride a reliable American bike, I have no real need of any tools ; )

19. EdB999

EdB999 Loaded Pockets

Ive had a couple punctures, but have been fairly slow ones so able to make it home via the petrol garages to top up with air. Have been with a friend when he had a flat, his repair kit defiantly saved the day!
    I had a Buell (an XB9S)... it was far from reliable :( (or refined, fast, well made or comfortable for that matter)

20. kwak

kwak Loaded Pockets

I'm guessing that if your mate had breakdown cover the AA or RAC have a puncture repair kit.
    Alternatively if in a group a mate could have ridden to the nearest petrol station.

How did you pump up the tyre after repairing it BTW?

Agree 100% on the Buell, believe it or not my 916 was a :censored: site more reliable once i'd sorted out the regulator.
    With regard to other American bikes, to be honest they could have a 100k miles guarantee of a new bike, i still would sooner walk or take public transport than ride a Harley.
    V-rod aside they're uncomfortable, unreliable, don't corner, don't stop, vibrate all their bolts off and are slowwwwww A to B.

Plus although i'm not the type of person that cares what anyone else thinks, you'd really need a full face helmet with a black visor to ride one over here in Europe otherwise people just point and laugh at you.