1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Most compact screwdriver

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by iamsalomon, Jan 11, 2010.

1. iamsalomon

iamsalomon Loaded Pockets

Hi all,
    What would be the best compact screwdriver with exchangeable bits?

Warm regards,
    John

2. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

Do you need a precision driver or one with regular size bits? How small do you consider compact? if you want a precision driver go to home depot and get the husky precision driver, it comes with 4 double ended bits. alternately there is the county com technician's pocket screw driver, it has half the number of bits but it is the size of a pen. if you are looking for a driver that takes regular size bits i'm sure we can come up with a few suggestions as well.

image link
    image link

3. Minion

Minion Loaded Pockets

If you want full size you should think about the vic ratchet. It's an amazing tool! Great for small places and tougher stuff!

4. iamsalomon

5. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

RE: Snap-On racheting screwdriver, doesn't part A slide out of the handle?? It does on the red handles a few years back. There were two sizes of shanks, still have the long one here. screwdriver walked.

6. iamsalomon

Mine doesn't although I have a buddy who has the red one and it does.

7. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

Man, this thread burns. I had that screwdriver in a "rare" neon green color, received as a gift from Snap-On for Christmas along with a full turkeybird and an 80th anniversary screwdriver set. I worked at a distribution center in Crystal Lake, IL.

Screwdriver got pinched. That's the part that burns.

I have a countycomm driver. It's good, as long as you aren't applying more than 20 lbs. of torque to it. Now I have to save $60 for a flippin' screwdriver, I want mine back.

8. iamsalomon

I feel your pain. This is the second one I got after losing the first one :mad:

9. sonny

sonny Empty Pockets

May be you should look at Chapman tool.
    http://www.chapmanmfg.com/

I have a red hard case set plus a soft pack with assorted bits from years ago.
    But I just notice that they have soft packs WITH ratchet and set of different bits to suit you.

Each bit has a detent ball and a non-slip top end to hand turn it.

10. CV90

CV90 Loaded Pockets

PB Swiss Tools makes a very good compact screwdriver. Review I got one online for € 25,- It comes with 8 bits, although I ordered some extra PB Swiss tools bits to replace the slotted bits with Pozidriv and small Phillips.

11. mess1102

mess1102 Empty Pockets

the CRKT guppie that i have works pretty well. the only complaint i have is that it is a little short so i can get to much torque going on it

12. usmc18

usmc18 Loaded Pockets

13. MartinTravels

MartinTravels Empty Pockets

I love the Picquic line of screwdrivers... I have one in my tool belt and in each vehicle. They feature a nearly limitless array of replaceable and customizable options. The LONG bits on these are fully removable and easy to exchange. No unscrewing hollow handles and dumping out a pile of bits; just push in the old bit and the new bit you want to use pops out. You can also use them in your drill or impact driver. Plus they work good for recessed screws that other screwdrivers with exchangeable tips can't get to. As you can see, they make some pretty compact models as well. It is the best screwdriver I've ever owned (and I have owned A LOT)! I wish more folks knew about them! They are a little spendy, but we all know you can never spend too much money on a good quality tool.

http://www.picquic.com/stubby.html

[​IMG]

14. toddtheknifegeek

toddtheknifegeek Loaded Pockets

How many bits do you want to swap? If you just want a couple of philips and standard, I would skip the bit holders and get a screwz-all, has two of each size, and you can T handle it for a good amount of torque. I keep a versadriver in my edc bag a lot. I carry a cybertool at work because I need the pliers and smaller screwdrivers a lot. Or add a 1/4 bit to a thumb ratchet.

I have a 1/4 bit a planned on adding a handle to so I could have something super compact, but haven't figured out how to do it yet. Would have just liked to drill into it, but that stuff is too hard for my drill/bits.

15. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Ah geez not aGAIN! I'm running out of space on my bookmarks bar LOL! Thanks a lot CV90...(not...says my budget).

16. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Don't know if this is what you may want but Gearwrench has a wrench type ratching screwdriver set that might work. Comes in a plastic case with bits and sockets, both SAE and Metric. All for about 20$ at Lowes or for more at Sears. Works pretty well!

17. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

18. rasi

rasi Loaded Pockets

If you need to apply at least some force go with the Wiha Stubby. It's small, grippy and has an integrated bit carrier. I carry it even more often than my Leatherman now.

19. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Thats a really neat little driver, may have to get one of those!

20. JPasquini

JPasquini Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Picquic lineup of screwdrivers! The Multique is perfect for repairing small electronics. Definitely high quality...