1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mossberg, anyone?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by tower, Mar 25, 2010.

1. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Moderator, if you need to move this, please do. I don't think we have a long gun section, so I'm posting here. I realize that, stricly speaking. Long guns are not EDC items for most. That is certainly true here in Peoples Republic of Kalifornia(PRK).

Getting to the point, I am considering the purchase of a home defense shotgun. For tears, I have coveted the pre-ban Binelli M3 with folding stock. Now that I am a student again, having limited funds, I have notced the Mpssberg JIC series, based on the 500 platform. The marinecote finish has caugt my eye. I prefer the 590A1 platform, so I'm considering that in marinecote, wit the addition of the Blackhawk Knoxx recoil absorbing folding stock to get the option of the shorter "Cruiser" as well as a full- length shotgun stock. So my questions are

1. Will this set-up be PRK legal?

2. Is the 590 vs 500 a justifyable expense?

3. Ghost ring sights are not available in marinecote. Is the finish wort giving up that option?

I am somewhat knowledgeable about handguns. Far less so on shotguns. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Had a 590 but found it too long for my liking. I don't care much for pistol gripped scatterguns and I don't quite get the survival tube thing that is the JIC package.

If you want to be CA Legal why not pick up a M500 package at Big 5?

My current scatter gun is a Maverick 88 and it gets a couple hundred rds. a month through it w/no issues.

3. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Love my 590A1 and I do like the sight picture with the ghost ring sights very much. I have found the stock parkerized finish to be very durable and easy to maintain. I'm considering getting the knox stock myself after getting beat up by some 3" magnum buck, but its a :censored:cat with 2 3/4" reduced recoil 00 buck which stays in the tube for home defense. I've currently got a speedfeed stock on it and a 6 round side saddle. The whole load is 9 rounds of 2 3/4 00 in the tube/chamber, 6 rounds of 3" mag 00, and 4 solid copper slugs in the speedfeed stock. Pretty nice to know I can grab it and go and have 19 round with me.

4. Versatek

Versatek Loaded Pockets

Mossbergs are great with a traditional stock. Less so with a pistol-grip. This is because of the location of the safety, on the tang.

The ghost ring sights are a plus; I wish my 500 had them, but not having them is not a deal killer for me.

5. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

mossbergs are a great guns. They are a bit tough to use the safety on with a pistol grip or pistol grip stock(m4 style). as for the 590 v. 500; the 590 is just a beefed up "militarized" version of the 500. as for the marinecoat; its not really necessary...

and i dont know what you mean by rpk legal, but i see your location is california, and I don't think pistol grip shotguns are legal in CA. If I were you, I'd just get a stock mossberg 500(since you just want it for hd).

6. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Terminology: "Pistol Grip" shotgun is a bit ambiguous - pistol grip only (PGO) or shoulder stock with pistol grip? The JIC is PGO.

From the 5 minutes of searching on Calguns, PGO pump shotguns are completely legal - but IMHO kind of useless. Pistol grip + shoulder stock is also legal and much more effective.

Marinecoat is pretty useless unless you live on a boat. Even so, you should maintain your HD weapon.

7. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

8. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

If you can avoid a shotgun for home defense do it like the plague. I am a firearms instructor. With out giving a class here which is not practical, consider this portion of home defense classes.

If you have to clear your home and you are doing it with a long gun (rifle or shotgun) and the bad guy is on the other side of a doorway where your gun barrel is making an appearence first, as you enter the other room. There is a possibility that when the barrel presents itself, it will be grabbed and the long gun pulled out of your hands before you know it. Then you are in a world of poop. Try to get a handgun. If you have the long gun pointed down while entering the other room, you probably won't be able to bring it up to its target when you need it while entering the room. Unless it is all you can lawfully have never use a long gun for inside home defense.

I also have a personal prejudice against Mossberg from years gone by. They are only in it for the money, not for the shooting sports. Many of you know that Mossberg also makes trigger locks. Many you you don't know that Mossberg tried to have legislation passed many years ago (and also lobbyed many politicians for their personal financial interest), mandating that all firearms in existence had to have trigger locks on at all times when not in use. This was done just to assist their sales with millions of gun locks. It is for this reason that I will never buy a Mossberg!

They make a reliable gun, however it won't cost you a kings randsom to upgrade to a Remmington.

As a police armorer and firearms instructor it is highly recommended that one never ever uses a pistol grip shotgun! You can see why for your self by standing next to a mirror and holding a shotgun by its pistol grip and racking the slide and pointing the shotgun in front of you. The natural and only normal medical position (refered to as the position of function) that the shotgun will be in, will be pointed upwards while you think it is pointed at the bad guy. Now look in the mirror and you will freak out. You would have shot over the bad guys head and not at the bad guy. Even though it looks cool, a pistol grip only shotgun is the worst possible choice, and many police departments forbid having them because of this.

9. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

The above post shows the limitations of the shotgun, but if your plan is to "fort up" in a bedroom and wait for the police, the disadvantages of the shotgun are largely negated.

I think it's necessary to have a handgun, also, as there are situations where the shotgun is simply too large for practicality. Even a simple .38 revolver would probably cover the needs of most people.

All my best,
    Dirty Bob

10. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Thank you, HS Ham and DB for those insights. As I already own several sidearms, I will probably effect the shotgun purchase when finances allow.

11. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Even though I like shotguns, they are only optimal for a few things: shooting clays and birds.

Their only advantage is low cost (for a pump shotgun).

12. **cutup**

**cutup** Loaded Pockets

The 500 is a good, versatile platform. Lots of add on options out there. The plastic ATI ghost ring sights suck though--their other stuff is ok, but the ghost rings from ATI are all plastic--so get another brand or just skip 'em. If you decide to go another direction later, I am confident you will get your money out of it at resale. It is great for home defense and packs under auto seats quite nicely too. They even make water tight tubes for the pistol grip options.

I run the Winchester Defender, a chopped down model 1300 with extended mag tube. It is a great little gun too--just what I grew up with--more accessories for the 500 and Remingtons though.

If you're not the kind to clean guns much, or you'll be around water/humidity, then I do think the marine coat is worth the extra--they seem to resale quicker too.

Get a gun man...then 2...then 3...then vote those commies out of office over there!

13. SF1

SF1 Banned

Just get the 500. The US Military has used it for years, and still does. The 590 is nice, but the 500, with the heat shield, pistol grip, ( I like them for roaming indoors) and a folding stock, rack of spare reloads on the side and the SF weapon light. This makes for one heck of a gun!

This is how mine is set up, and I love it.

It is a reliable proven gun the world over, not to mention a ton of police departments use them.

Workhorse of a shotgun. All the accessories are inexpensive except the Surefire.

14. SF1

SF1 Banned

Aaaaaaa Say what?

15. Desertrat1

Desertrat1 Empty Pockets

Mossberg 500. folding stock and pistol grip. Don't care about sights, strap a tactical flashlight to it, and wait for the last minute to turn it on.

Honestly spend some time getting some firearms training. Get the shotgun, but learn what you are doing and get some supervised practice. There is nothing more frightening to a criminal than the sound of a pump shotgun being jacked in the dark.

16. **cutup**

**cutup** Loaded Pockets

US Military used Winchester 1st!...When they had the money for quality:)

Shotgun good for shooting people/intruders too. In fact, real good at hitting people when you are crapping your pants and experiencing adrenaline dump. Easiest thing to hit with when owner has little or no training--especially close quarters, like across the house. A fine choice.

Strapping on a light is a good idea too. Mag light and 2 rubber bands will do.

Just can't go wrong with a scatter gun.

17. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

I am all for owning a Remington 870, 18" riot pump, w/ the 2 round extended mag tube and the hi vis follower.

There are several good stocks like the speed feed and the new recoil reducing models (that actually work great) I am told that they reduce recoil by 75 to 90%. Having just had rotator cuff surgery I plan on adding one to mine. Mine currently has a "law enforcement only" folding stock. If you end up with the 870, when your great grand children finally get it, they will love it also (it will last forever).

Get great training. When you can afford the 870, get that also. Just try not to even consider the pistol grip and never use it for clearing a residence, that is not safe. The 870 personal preference is from 30 years of police expierence with every possible shot gun imaginable (Mosberg, Winchester, Ithica {another favorite but it wont hold up with its single slide bar) the ithica will slam fire (just hold the trigger and as fast as you can rack the slide it will fire {it is way cool}), Benelli, Spas to name a few. I am also my departments armorer and an NRA certified instructor.

18. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

Once again, If you can avoid it ,never, ever, ever, think to use a shotgun for inside a residence!! Read my first post. The spread even with bird shot at short distances is minimal. The shot cup doesn't even seperate from the load of shot for the first several feet after it has cleared the muzzle.

Even if you are barracaded in your bedroom and it is 20+ feet to the door (nice size room even if your back is to the wall when you include the width of your body and the total length of the shotgun) fom the muzzle, your spread will only be around the size of a golf ball!! Go to the range and try this on a silouette. When qualifing at my police range with 00 Buck I get all rounds inside the kill range at 25 YARDS! That is 75 FEET!

The fantesy that a shotgun will take out a door frame from accross the room is TOTAL MISINFORMATION! Don't be fooled. A shotgun for clearing a home is very dangerous for its owner compaired to a handgun!

Winchester does make a quality gun, But you get much more gun for the money, with a parkerized police Remington 870 riot gun when looking for a defensive shotgun.

A simple inexpensive barrel change and magazing plug (where required by law), and you can hunt with it, Consider having the second barrel (if you get one) with multiple interchangable chokes.

If I responded to a burglary in progerss call with a possible suspect inside, I will never take the shotgun out of the rack to clear the residence. This it is clearly much more deadly for a police officer, so why would any body recomend this to a civilian.

If I got caught with the shotgun out for this purpose as stupid as it is, I know that there will be disaplinary action against me for a serious officer safety violation!