1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

More 5.11 Goodness ~ COVRT 18!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by sweetdaddyroses, Feb 2, 2011.

1. stormtracker

stormtracker Loaded Pockets

556DD, Thanks for the review and pics.

I take it this pack doesnt have an individual pocket meant for a hydration bladder ie. Camelbak etc..

Anyone know?

2. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Actually, it does. It's in the same pocket as the frame sheet. It's mentioned at the 2:00 mark of 5.11's video on the Covrt 18:

[video]http://videos.511tactical.com/videos/88/covrt-18-backpack[/video]

3. 556DD

556DD Loaded Pockets

Sorry the hydration section was an after thought for the review...

4. minew

minew Empty Pockets

I am in love! Just ordered mine in the mantis green/dark oak! Can't wait!

5. 556DD

556DD Loaded Pockets

I know the feeling and the longer I have it the more I really do believe it's as close to perfection as can be.

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Got my Covrt 18 yesterday. Ordered it in Deep Moss so if you're thinking about that color then here it is. For a size comparison, I set it next to my RUSH 24.

Overall, my initial impressions are good. I've already found some things I wish 5.11 had done differently but overall it's the best bag I've owned to-date (including the RUSH and several Maxpedition products). As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I will load the thing up and take more pics along with a mini-review but it will probably be Friday before I can get them up on the site. If anyone has questions in the meantime then I will be happy to answer them.

[​IMG]

7. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I'm giving this one serious thought as an EDC bag to replace my Sitka.....Hmm.

8. 72hours

72hours Loaded Pockets

It looks fantastic, if you're trying for that "grey man" look. But after seeing it side-by-side with the RUSH 24, I can't help but want the 24.........Guess I'll just have to wait until it goes on sale, cause getting it shipped to New Zealand is EXPENSIVE..... Galls has it, but it's over 200 bucks.....*sigh*

9. Nater

Nater Loaded Pockets

@Tarfu

If you wouldnt mind would you measure the Velcro patch in the BBS panel? Also what are the measurements of the BBS holster Velcro patch and the magazine pouch Velcro? I am looking at that bag and the BBS system pretty hard right now. I appreciate any reviews and measurements you may provide.

10. minew

minew Empty Pockets

I just got mine in the dark oak/mantis green and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

11. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Hay Nater! I've actually spent a fair amount of time figuring out how to position the BBS pouches on the panels and have them just the way I want them now so I'd rather not rip it all apart to measure. But I can tell you this much...

The BBS panel in the interior pocket is just big enough to fit 5.11's BBS holster in a horizontal/cross draw position and that's about it. If speed isn't an issue, then you can position both the holster and the mag pouches vertically. The velcro field isn't large enough to completely engage both (about a quarter of overlap on both sides) but there is enough loop contact to avoid each pouch from being pulled loose when you're taking out the weapon or magazine.

BTW, it's actually one of my few complaints about the pack. I just can't figure out why 5.11 didn't loop the entire pocket like Maxpedition does with the Kodiak. That way you could include as many BBS pouches as you like in there and arrange them however. Due to lack of the loop in the interior compartment, I leveraged the velcro panel located in the R.A.C. for the BBS Flashlight pouch. It's a perfect fit and I keep my Surefire G2X there.

If you're willing to wait a few days, I'm going to take some pics of my entire setup (including the CCW pocket with my Beretta 92FS holstered) and post them in a separate review here. I haven't done so yet because it's taken me nearly a month and some trial and error to get it configured to my liking. I have one more item coming in that should arrive mid-week and then I will do the write-up.

12. NemesisCavalry

NemesisCavalry Loaded Pockets

I'm losing faith in 5.11 products, just look at the price...a whooping $129.99 and what do you get? less material in building, no innovation. If I want to blend in, I will get something else and not a product from a tactical manufacturer, period. I have not mentioned I didnt see a waist strap...

13. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Nice fishing expedition, but I'll bite. No innovation? One of the few tactical packs with a built in laptop sleeve. Internal molle is not new but internal molle in a pack with a non-tactical profile is rare. Bad quality? Do you own one? If not, then don't speak to the quality. The quality is more than adequate for it's intended use. No waist strap? Are you kidding me? Why do you need a waist strap on a mid-sized day pack?!# It would get in the way more often than not. Oh, and BTW, street price is around $99 (got mine from Gall's at that price).

14. NemesisCavalry

NemesisCavalry Loaded Pockets

Nah, i'm not trying to pull anything here. It is the price that puzzles me. Also, I did not say anything about quality. If you dont believe me, you can look into my post. I only said "less material in building", the bag is made from 500D and you have to agree with me that most bags around this price range are built from 1000D.And I say you are the one who is on a fishing expedition because you interpreted "less material in building" into "bad quality".

15. Nater

Nater Loaded Pockets

Cool man, thanks for the info anyway. It is unfortunate they didnt put a larger panel. It is one thing holding me back is that I really wanted to put more in that area since it is pretty large. Look forward to your review.

16. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Why even bring it up then? It's just most people (I guess not you if you say so) believe the lighter 500D nylon is a major downgrade in quality. But, in reality, it's more than adequate for most EDC. And even better, it cuts down the weight of the pack considerably. Anyone who has carried products from Maxpedition know that their bags weigh a lot (even empty). This works against you when you start to load the bag - especially in the single strap designs like the Gearslinger series.

17. stormtracker

Well, Im in. My finances are tight but I couldn't pass it up. LA police gear sent me a 15% off coupon. The Covert18 also had free shipping. So, I got free shipping and 15% off of a price of $99.95. Paid about $85 for it shipped. Got the Dark green moss and black color.

It said back ordered 1 - 2 weeks. Look forward to getting it and trying it out. : )

18. tech411

tech411 Empty Pockets

Just placed my order with LA Police Gear also for $84.99. Looking forward for it arrival.

19. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Loaded Pockets

Wow, looks like an awesome bag! im looking for a nice bag for climbing gear, maybe this will fix that! :)

20. stormtracker

LA Police Gear just adjusted the price upward to $129 it appears.