1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

More 5.11 Goodness ~ COVRT 18!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by sweetdaddyroses, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Davd901

Davd901 Empty Pockets

How would a 17" laptop fit?

2. hot_h2o

hot_h2o Loaded Pockets

no problem

3. 556DD

556DD Loaded Pockets

Well I ordered mine last night!!! How long did it take for yours to arrive from galls.com?

4. hot_h2o

hot_h2o Loaded Pockets

2 day

5. 556DD

556DD Loaded Pockets

Just shipped out today. Problem is though I'm not sure if the bag shipped...on my contents confirmation e-mail all it has listed is the silly 5.11 bag watch as the contents but no Covrt 18. Hope its just an error and the bag is there too.

6. 556DD

556DD Loaded Pockets

So I called galls this morning and bad news the bags are now backordered. Even though it said in stock on the website. So now after talking to 3 reps over a 4 day period they don't know when they are getting more in. The only consolation they offered was a refund of the whole $5 it cost to ship it. Debating just canceling my order and getting it from somewhere else. Any thoughts?

Edit: I forgot to mention that 2 of the 3 reps told me that my bag would be shipping out that day.

7. Davd901

Davd901 Empty Pockets

Mine came in today form galls.

8. 556DD

556DD Loaded Pockets

Finally got my Covrt 18 from galls. Initial impressions are REALLY good! Any requests or questions?

9. Aonghus

Aonghus Loaded Pockets

Heck yeah. Load it down and let us see pick. Of particular interest is the CCW pouch and comp area.

10. 556DD

556DD Loaded Pockets

Will do tomorrow or this weekend then throw some pics up. Haven't gotten my holster yet for the CCW pouch but i'll throw my USP in there for a size reference.

11. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Ordered the Deep Moss/Black combo from galls today. They have them in stock now. Guess you guys scared the bejesus out of them and they ordered more from 5.11.

Optics Planet has them also for 103.99 plus free shipping which beats the Galls price. But, BIG SURPRISE, they have them back ordered. Earlier in the week they had an eBay listing at the same price showing 50 in stock. Man, how I hate those guys... but I digress...

Anyway, I have 5.11's Back-Up Belt system for the CCW so I will load the bag up for bear and take some pics once I get it in. I also have a RUSH 24 so I can do a side-by-side comparison if anyone is interested.

12. 556DD

556DD Loaded Pockets

@Tarfu
    Definitely check and double check with galls that your order has shipped. I had 2 different reps tell me that mine would ship that day but it never happened and my order somehow actually was cancelled. A week and a half later and having to go through 5.11 to get a hold of someone a little higher up at galls they finally replaced my order and had it over nighted for free. Through out the whole ordeal though the item was always 'in stock.'

13. stormtracker

stormtracker Loaded Pockets

It seems this thread is somewhat anemic with the lack of pics and a thorough review detailing quality of stitching and materials as well as all of the pockets and design features. Slackers

: )

ST

14. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

They have already provided a FEDEX ground tracking number for the order and it's been picked up. According to FEDEX, it should arrive on Tuesday. Like I said, it looks like you guys paved the road. O0

15. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

HaHa. I'll fix that next week if 556DD or one of the other guys doesn't beat me to it. :popcorn:

16. 556DD

556DD Loaded Pockets

So here are my initial impressions of the 5.11 Tactical Covrt 18. Excuse the bad pictures just had the camera on my phone. Also excuse the lack of gear to show any real load out, had to keep it quiet as the girlfriend was sleeping.

So here goes my first review post! ;D

[​IMG]

Awesome! In general the bag size is right on par with a typical school backpack (college). The nylon seems very durable. Not so durable that it is stiff like Maxped bags, but enough so that it doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart. The zippers are YKK and the placement and direction of each one seem very well thought out.

[​IMG]

With my 15" MBP on top and 20 oz. Nalgene OTF to the side.

[​IMG]

The Nalgene bottle fits inside nicely and with a little room left over for a slightly wider bottle.

[​IMG]

For me personally this pocket will be more of a dump pocket than anything but the availability of the molle webbing is a nice touch.

[​IMG]

This is the concealment pocket. It opens from both sides for left or right sling access. I don't have an internal velcro holster (any recommendations would be appreciated for my HK and a 4" 1911!?) but inside of the pocket is my HK USP .40 compact just for a size reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Admin pouch IS AWESOME! Plenty of space for "admin" items. Size reference again is my USP. It fits in the front and back areas of the pocket.

[​IMG]

Felt lined sunglasses/electronic pouch. Very large pocket where several sensitive items could easily fit. Glasses, Ipod, phone, etc...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The padding on the shoulder straps and back make carrying heavier loads very comfortable. The mesh breathes and also provides some extra grip so the bag doesn't slide all over your back. The other nice feature here is the removal of the pillow like padding from the spinal column. This evens out the load across your back as does the handle across the top connecting the two shoulder straps. The only very very minor complaint I have about the shoulder straps is that it seems like the cushioning is lined with some type of plastic that makes a noise similar to a trash or grocery bag when manipulated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The main compartment is roomy with two mesh pockets on the lid side. They each have a single zipper going in one direction on the top side of the pockets. The laptop section fits my 15" Macbook Pro perfectly with ample padding (forgot to try it with the sleeve and am too lazy/tired to check that out).

[​IMG]

The other neat feature about this bag that was mentioned in the 5.11 video was the zip tie pockets on either side of the bag. While I was hoping for a waist strap style pocket that would run horizontal so I could fit a fixed blade inside but this is not the case. As you can see the pocket is about 1/2" to 1" wide and it runs vertically the length of the bag (I think). The knife I put in the slot was limited by it's width as opposed to it's length.

I did forget to mention the hydration pocket has a velcro loop to secure whatever you are hanging from the inside with an opening through the top for the straw. In this area is also a frame support plate that gives the bag a little more rigidity but is removable if preferred.

Overall the 5.11 Tactical Covrt 18 is :censored: close to the perfect bag for me. The civilian look, tough nylon, and versatility of the pockets is really like no other bag of this type that I have seen. Hope this was a decent review and answered some questions. If there are any other questions though please feel free to post and I'll try to respond in a timely manner.

17. sweetdaddyroses

sweetdaddyroses Loaded Pockets

thanks for the excellent review and pix!

18. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

556DD -

You definitely need a better camera (or a phone with a better camera). ;D But, thanks for posting the review. Good first effort!

I would definitely check out 5.11's Back-Up Belt System. I have it and it's pretty good. It includes the only velcro backed holster that I've found that has a thumb break (which was a requirement for me). Maxpedition's Universal holster doesn't have one. It will fit a full frame pistol and is adjustable. I've used it for my Beretta 92SF, which is a beast, so it should fit yours fine.

If you get the full kit, it also has a few other pouches including one that is perfect for securing a small tactical flashlight like the Surefire G2X and a double mag holster with velcro enclosures. The kit is available from 5.11 but you can find them on eBay at a pretty significant discount. Sometimes you can also find just the holster if you don't need the other pouches.

When I get my Covrt 18, I will incorporate some of the pouches from it including the holster and post some pics here. I'm wondering how many of them I will be able to use in the CCW compartment. The velcro field doesn't look that large from the videos I've seen.

19. Chopper

Chopper Loaded Pockets

I had an email from 5.11 UK.

It should be available here in the UK in April.

I cant wait :)

20. shrnky

shrnky Loaded Pockets

Definitely a nice looking bag.