1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

More 5.11 Goodness ~ COVRT 18!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by sweetdaddyroses, Feb 2, 2011.

1. sweetdaddyroses

sweetdaddyroses Loaded Pockets

I logged onto the 5.11 website this morning to discover this new item has been added to their arsenal: http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/56961.html

Utilizing 500D nylon should significantly lower the weight and I will presume that COVRT 18 is code for covert 1800ci? It looks something like the "Speed 24" http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=511-GTPACK-B with more features.

Hmm! Just as I'm finally getting my RUSH 24 to where I want it they dangle this carrot under my nose. Figures! ;D I need to plant another money tree in my backyard!

Edit to add this youtube vid that is obviously from the SHOT Show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLVt0lrz8CM&feature=channel

2. brianwhynot

brianwhynot Loaded Pockets

Just when I think I've got my bag addiction licked, they bring out something like this!

I didn't see any stats, so it's still possible this won't make my covet list. Very nice design, though.

3. xtal

xtal Loaded Pockets

It looks interesting, but like brianwhynot, I'd like to see some hard numbers on the bag. It baffles me why manufacturers, who HAVE these numbers, won't publish them as soon as the new item comes out.

4. eme714

eme714 Loaded Pockets

This is exactly what I have been waiting for! Thank you 5.11. For a RUSH like bag with quality materials made to look civilian. Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on that Pygmy Falcon II

5. sweetdaddyroses

yeah! not much info on their website yet, that's for sure! the colors, also -- nothing on the 5.11 site but the vid seems to indicate that it will come in a few different colors. i'm loving the multicam that they're showing for the 12, 24 & 72 packs! i think that the RUSH 12 in multicam will be a huge inducement to purchase? previously it only came in black. i don't think that 5.11 gets the same kind of love as the maxpud stuff does. at least not here. perhaps in the real world?

some bold changes in the 5.11 product line and i couldn't be more excited -- i really like their stuff!

6. eme714

eme714 Loaded Pockets

They should have included tri-glides on the COVRT like the RUSH12 so we could add a stability waist strap.

7. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

8. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I just got a Rush 24 for Christmas and this comes along? It's just not fair! There's no way to win!

9. Bullosa

Bullosa Loaded Pockets

It is less conspicious for urban use. For hiking and trekking I still prefer the RUSH.

10. Cryptic

Cryptic Loaded Pockets

Dimensions look like 19" high, 12.25" wide, and 9"(total) depth. That makes it 2094 cubes. Maybe the "18" is for "longer than 12, but not quite 24?" :laugh:

11. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

My guesstimate is they mean "18" in the model number one of two ways: (1) the "18" is shorthand for 1,800 cu. in., or (2) the "18" is short for 18L metric capacity (aka 1,098 cu. in.).

Thanks for the heads up on this pack. Why, oh why, do manufacturers keep releasing cool new bags? I can't keep up! LOL :buck2:

12. sdsponger

sdsponger Loaded Pockets

13. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

I wish it was made from 1000D nylon instead of 500D :(

14. hot_h2o

hot_h2o Loaded Pockets

Well today is day two of my 5.11 covert 18 pack and must say I am in love with it. I had the rush 24 and loved it just wanted something a little smaller. Tried a Maxpedtion Falcon 2 but that was too small. This is a very good pack so far. The admin pouch on top front is awesome.

15. sweetdaddyroses

Okay, since you're apparently the first one to actually have this pack, ya gotta cough up a bit more info. Like, what color did you get? Size-wise, how does it compare to the 24?

C'mon! I wanna hear! I wanna see! Pictures, puh-leeze!!!

...oh, and welcome to the forum! ;D

16. hot_h2o

hot_h2o Loaded Pockets

Ok well I can give you some phone pics and a brief talk about.... First the pack is a nylon compaired to the material of the rush 24. A little lighter and more manageable. Night and day difference from maxpedition material. Dimentions I don't have but you can find them on 5.11 website. The rush 24 is around 2028 cu in and the covert 18 is around 1800. Probablly the biggest wow factor for me was the admin compartment. On the rush 12/24/72 the admin puoch was front bottom compartment. On the covert it is front top. Pic is below. Nice and big area, All Ihave there is two pens, a sharpie, flashlight, ID card and keys. Although there is about 4 or 5 more slots and room. It is big.
    [​IMG]

The pack it self is set up inside like the rush series with two mesh compartments on the flap side with a padded laptop case on the other side. You still have the hydration compartment just like the rush series. The front lower compartment had two small pouches in them I keep hand warmers and glo-tubes in there. The main lower compartment which has the molly system in it for additional storage or add a pouch. Then the conceal carry pouch. All in all a really nice pack. I am a big fan of the 5.11 pack. Oh yea I got the black/asphalt(grey) version.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know if you need anything else;D

17. sweetdaddyroses

Very Nice!!!

The one thing that I really appreciate about my RUSH pack is that the material is very tough and yet still maintains a fair degree of softness and pliability. Considering that the Covert 18 is half the fabric weight/thickness I can only imagine that it is somewhat softer, more pliable yet, than the 24? That would be a selling point for me. It's just my personal opinion/preference that polyurethane is for hardwood floors, not packs. At least, not my packs. I like softer/pliable!

I am dying to see this pack in person, to touch it/feel it/really check it out. I have already gone to one of the local distributors for 5.11 gear to see if they had one. (Quartermaster ~ Los Angeles) Not yet.

I am really attracted to the Mantis Green/Dark Oak color. My 24 is already black, so, even though I love the color of your pack, Asphalt/Black, I think a change of pace might be in order for me.

Thank you for taking the time to take the pics and post them! It really helps to see the pack in 'real time,' as opposed to the manufacturers website representation. Do you mind if I ask where you got your pack? 5.11 or another distributor?

Cheers!

*sdr*

18. hot_h2o

hot_h2o Loaded Pockets

I bought it at galls.com for $103.

19. sweetdaddyroses

Thanks! I just checked their site for green & brown--nope! The 5.11 site says that the green & brown color will ship after the 23rd--this coming week. But, alas! No 20% discount. Like I've already mentioned, I would really like to get my hands on one and check it out before I make up my mind to buy it. Besides, I need another bag like I need another hole in my head! Of course, that pesky little detail has never stopped me in the past. D'oh!

Oh! I do have one more question: Since you have owned the 24 and you now own the 18 you are eminently qualified to answer...is there a significant weight difference between the two? I mean, in a very substantial way? Given the difference in the weight of the nylon I would naturally assume that there would be. Of course, other construction factors could theoretically negate the material benefit...duh...I suppose.

20. hot_h2o

hot_h2o Loaded Pockets

no not really any weight difference. If any I would say slight weight goes to the 24 for the material, but like I said not a big difference. I also looked at the deep moss/black but 20% off just for a color was the difference for me. I like the black/asphalt color.