1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Monster vs. 007 (or Mako)

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Wolfman, Feb 11, 2014.

?

Monster vs. 007 vs. Mako

1. Black Monster

40.8%
  2. SKX007

44.9%
  3. Orient Mako

14.3%
  1. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

Howdy,

I had an Orient Mako that I believe was stolen recently (or maybe lost, I'm really not sure). I was thinking about replacing it with either a new SRP Black Monster, or a 007. While the BM and the 007 are basically in the same price range, the Mako is a lot less expensive. Any suggestions on this? The one caveat is that I really hated the cheap endlinks on the Mako. They are hollow and bent my spring bars.

-Wolfman

P.S. I've been a long time reader of the EDC forums, but this is my first post. I just joined today!

kertap75 likes this.
  2. ketchupgun

ketchupgun Loaded Pockets

[grabs popcorn, sits patiently] :rofl:

Personally I don't like the look of the monsters...always oogled the 007....but I know the makos...hmm (I also throw Hamilton into the mix for fun)

3. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I only have the monster, but it has been a great watch and bright as a flashlight.

4. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

I prefer the Monster, then the 007/009, then the Ray, then the Mako ... but this is mostly just personal preference on styling.

The "new" Monster does have an upgraded movement, but ironically, I prefer the style of the "old" version.

The stock Monster bracelet is excellent. I would suggest upgrading the standard 007 bracelet with an aftermarket alternative - my favorite is the yobokies BoR :)

5. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

Sorry but I am a sucker for a 4 oclock crown.... Do I have to explain which of the three I think you should get? :p

6. EndlessFields
    • In Omnia Paratus

EndlessFields Loaded Pockets

Don't both the Monster and 007 have a 4 o'clock crown?

As for the original question, I myself just pulled the trigger on the 007 just this afternoon. So I'm a bit biased. ;)

sl66ICEcuba likes this.
  7. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

I never said one of the three :p Monster and 007 but I prefer the 007 with oyster band. Or maybe that is just because I have one on order

EndlessFields likes this.
  8. EndlessFields
    • In Omnia Paratus

I see what you did there. I should look around for a nice oyster band. I'd like solid and fitted end links that match up perfectly.

9. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

I'm going to get shot to pieces here, but I hate the monster...

Get the 007, or even better the 173!

10. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

I'm not too much a fan of the 173. First of all it's more expensive. Second, I like the rounded look of the 007. Despite the current poll results I am leaning more towards the Monster due to it's hacking and hand winding. However, I'm still unsure...

11. EndlessFields
    • In Omnia Paratus

I have to agree. The monster is to busy looking. I do not like it at all. 007 is so clean and classic looking.

shmook likes this.
  12. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I voted Mako because it outlasted the 007 I had for a time. I've never had problems with the endlinks, thought I do wish they were solid. One of the perks of the Mako is that it looks good on any watch band...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EXCALIBUR likes this.
  13. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I have a Pepsi bezel SKX, and I'm leaning towards getting a Mako XL now. Just have to decide to pull the trigger, waiting for a good sale from Orient USA.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three, however. (Which is why I didn't vote!)

14. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

A tested, proven, and timeless classic that is the 007.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Rhaegar

Rhaegar Empty Pockets

I have worn the Orange Monster every day for over three years. Great watch! Very sturdy. I thought i would get the black monster but I find the Orange monster goes with anything I am wearing.
    The only problem with mine is it runs a little slow. I have to change the time on mine about once a month.

16. Syy

Syy Loaded Pockets

I would go with the monster. I have a orient ray. The monster is a much better watch. The bezel is much smoother. The crystal is much more scratch resistant. The bracelet is better. I too destroyed the stock ray bracelet. Add in the new movement that on my example is slow 2 sec a day. Sometimes keeping even better time. I vote monster. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zephyr11 likes this.
  17. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

Woah Syy! Is that a Limited Edition White Monster? That looks pretty awesome.

18. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

The Monster is great because of its "alternate" styling. I found myself like it on bracelet or rubber strap, not so much on NATO because I thought a 22mm NATO would fit the case side better. Nonetheless, Monster is an excellent choice and would be my suggestion.

I personally prefer the old style Monster. But the new Monster is the "logical" choice to get with the upgraded movement. Again, styling is kind of a personal preference.

I consider 007/173/etc are "safe bets". Their styling are more conventional and easier on "most" eyes. You basically can't go wrong with them, with almost any bracelet/straps.

Good luck with your choice, and post a lot of photos when your new watch arrives. :)

19. Syy

Syy Loaded Pockets

No, that was just whatever filter I used on my iphone. Sorry to disappoint. It's an orange monster. I don't know that they have a snow monster in Gen. 2 yet. Even so, I wouldn't buy one, I wear the OM everyday, and it takes a beating. Plus, I don't like white faces on watches.

20. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

I'm sure the others are nice too, but I love my SKX007J4...I have a SKX009J3 underway as well -- same as the 007, but with a blue/red bezel insert[​IMG]