1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

monocular?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Froley, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

Nice response! Does anyone have any experience with Bushnell monoculars?

warchild likes this.
  2. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

I do, used one for a while till I had a friend working for Steiner get me one of theirs. They Bushnell was great for why I wanted it but lost clarity over time.

3. Vsegda gotov

Vsegda gotov Loaded Pockets

I carry a Praktica 10x25 in my work bag... don't have anything to compare it against and for the cheap price I don't think I can find much wrong with it.

4. Blackbeagle
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blackbeagle Loaded Pockets

Any one know of a cheap monocular with a reticle? Not including golf scope unless they're at least as decent a quality as the Brunton?

5. Caribou

Caribou Loaded Pockets

6. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Those £7 golf scopes don't have good clarity compared to 'proper' monoculars. They do the job, but its like looking through a tinted window.

7. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

Didnt realize binoculars could lose clarity over time... :eek:

8. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

if the lens elements aren't properly sealed you will get moisture and dirt between them. This is a reason not to cheap out on your optics, but for under $30 it's pretty much disposable.

warchild likes this.
  9. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

Exactly!:)

10. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I have a NcSTAR 8x21. Picked it up at a gunshow for $9. Came with a cheap pouch too. Not the best, rattles a bit, but it works and let me know that I want a better one.

11. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Check out this rare vintage gem.... a Pentax 8x30 monocular with reticle and a screw-on loupe(?) for (I believe) 22x magnification. Picked it up about 2 decades ago while traveling in Japan and it's still in perfect condition. I actually pulled it out for this blood sucker, which I picked camping earlier in the summer and never got around to posting the pix. (Fortunately not a Lyme tick).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

That is absolutely awesome reppans!

reppans likes this.
  13. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

Got a Bushnell monocular in the mail today. While the "sheath" was completely rubbish, the monocular itself seems OK. Its obvious that its a cheap product, but thats to be expected i suppose :p

14. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

Since reading this thread I've become interested in acquiring a monocular. My Steiner Merlin 10 X 42 binoculars are nice with great imaging and clarity but they are big. I would like something more compact when I am at my security job or cruising taking in the sights. I want a product that is of high quality will last and found the Leica 8 X 20 Monovid monocular to be the best choice. It is expensive but you get what you pay for and I will definitely put It to use. I'm planning on buying one in the near future. I'll post when I do and give my thoughts on it.

15. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

Check out the Minox 8x25 macroscope It's a nice midrange scope that can close focus to about 14inches. I really like mine, great for checking ID's for mysterious photographic irregularities or strange typos;) Fits well in larger hands since it's slightly oval and has a clear bright view. Just another to consider

16. Ogrel

Ogrel Empty Pockets

What is the opinion on Barska optics? I was thinking of picking up one of their 10x25 Blackhawk models. Thanks!

17. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

Well I got the Leica 8 X 20 Monovid monocular "Red Edition" the other day. What an expensive optical instrument it is:eek:. Beautifully constructed, awesome optical clarity, and amazing performance. The red leather trim on the optical tube is a nice classy touch as with the leather storage case. The case has a belt loop but it does look a bit flimsy for daily use. It did come with a wrist lanyard and the optional neck lanyard is a joke for what it costs ($35) but I still opted for it. I didn't know the neck lanyard was that junk until I got it. With the 8 X viewing power I didn't find it hard to hold the monocular steady enough to catch a glimpse of a moving vehicles license plates or scanning the vast reaches of the property I patrol at for my security job. The Leica monocular is small so it is convenience to use where ever I go. This is a keeper for sure!

reppans likes this.
  18. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

The Brunton Echo is about the best you can get for under $30. Over, well over, $30 the Minox 8x25 macroscope is a great monocular - great clarity, light gathering, and very effective lens coating to reduce flare. Just don't drop it or you'll have a piece of trash. As far as Barska optics are concerned, I have an 18-36x50 spotting scope and it's complete junk.

docer likes this.
  19. Ogrel

Ogrel Empty Pockets

Thanks. Guess its that whole get what you pay for adage.

20. vincent887

vincent887 Banned

I ordered a monocular from (edited) for my husband birthday gift a month ago, he said it's wonderful.You may have a look at it.

(edited)