1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

monkeemoves

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by monkeemoves, Mar 17, 2011.

1. monkeemoves

monkeemoves Loaded Pockets

2. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Excellent!

3. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

I love it! Such an inventive way to retain your gear. ;D

:welcome:

4. Sparkey

Sparkey Loaded Pockets

Welcome! Great 1st post!

5. BBoost

BBoost Empty Pockets

dig it!

6. monkeemoves

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've actually lurked here for many years--had an old account with no posts, now long vanished--and have been EDCing various doodads for much longer. Now that I've started momentum, I'll be gradually posting more of my [rather extensive] EDC systems. I do have to say that this is one of the most polite, friendly, and helpful forums I've ever come across. Happy to be here.

warchild and SAKplumber like this.
  7. Dr. Bahn

Dr. Bahn Loaded Pockets

Cool idea!! Welcome to the forum, monkeemoves! =)

8. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I would second that comment.

9. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Now that is a way to carry a light! Interested in seeing the rest of your EDC setup. :welcome:

10. McDaddy

McDaddy Empty Pockets

Now thats Thinkin'! Welcome

11. Inspector

Inspector Empty Pockets

That is a great set of images, I love that sweater too.

I hope to see more of you around here!

12. stm

stm Loaded Pockets

Okay, I'll admit it. I am kind of a conventional, straight-laced kind of guy with a very short haircut and conservative style of dress. Having said that, your idea is incredibly brilliant and unique! Very creative. Makes me thinking about growing my hair out.

Have you ever got that thing caught on something? That might hurt.

stm

13. DpM

DpM Loaded Pockets

Thanks for posting and :welcome:
    Any chance monkeemoves has to do with free running or parkour?

14. monkeemoves

So friendly around here!

I appreciate that; not sure if you can tell from the photos, but all of the additions (hood, pockets, patches, etc.) are hand sewn into place.

Nope. I either put a single overhand knot into the whole dreadlock whenever I'm not actively using the light, or that one dreadlock is pulled around the rest and tucked in as a hairband. Keeps it out of the way.

Sure does! I'm an avid practitioner of parkour, to the extent that I'm part of a non-profit built specifically to teach people how to learn it safely. We built a gym for this purpose, and I coach classes throughout the week. :)

--And in case anyone is wondering, I do wear a light this way at all times--sleep with it, exercise with it, shower with it. (Photons claim water resistance--in my tests, they've been completely water proof, including fully submergible for at least six feet.) Part of my choice to keep dreadlocks is decorating my hairstyle, one of many aspects of using myself as a sort-of walking art project. I'm sure a lot of people would be annoyed having to move their hair around to make certain lying positions more comfortable, but I'm so used to it by now that I never really think about it until someone asks. (And to clear up any dreadlock misinformation, they can be treated as normal hair, meaning I wash with shampoo semi-obsessively.)

Thanks again for the warm welcome! I'm inspired to actually get on taking photos of some of my other EDC…I think I have a fairly different style of personal presentation than most on this board, but my interests in everyday utility certainly lie in the same realm.

15. monkeemoves

I posted this in the Small Sewing Kit thread, but I think it's appropriate here as well.

This is my small sewing kit:[​IMG][​IMG]

I hand sew on a regular basis as a pastime, so have this kit with me every day. With the assistance of a number of 3/16" rare earth magnets, the tin will hold itself open and attach to metal surfaces, and the only things to fall from it while open--even inverted--are the two extra [plastic] buttons. The contents of the kit include:

- 8 needles of varying size
    - 25 steel pins
    - 6 safety pins of varying size
    - 1 steel thimble
    - 2 steel spools of approx. 20ft of black nylon upholstery thread each

When I'm working on a long project, I have a larger kit that is involved. This insures the spools of thread in my small kit remain available for backup, as well as allowing me extra tools.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The large kit includes:

- medical shears
    - pliers (Waay better than a thimble for pushing/pulling needles through thick fabrics.)
    - large spool of upholstery thread
    - 20ft paracord
    - Bic lighter (for melting the nylon thread and paracord)
    - packet of extra needles
    - pincushion (hand-sewn by a friend) with 50+ pins
    - film canister of extra buttons and safety pins
    - cloth measuring tape
    - 2 embroidery hoops
    - small tin of bee's wax (for waxing the thread before using--keeps it from snagging and fraying)

The large kit is somewhat bulky, so I only take it around when I know I want to work on something away from home. The small kit is perfect to keep in a pocket of my vest or pants.

Antithetik, =RedFox= and Justin M like this.
  16. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

I am going to quote this in FULL because it is the most Lavish and Delicious sewing kit I have ever seen anywhere (^& !

BE WELL .. GH

17. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

To me it seems like more people need to see the dread light idea. :D:Juggle: *bump*

18. HyperionScout32
    • In Omnia Paratus

HyperionScout32 Loaded Pockets

Cool gear...Nice sewing kit... Now I'm looking for such a ALTOIDS tin;)

19. valhalla

valhalla Loaded Pockets

So awesome. Big ups for coolness. I can't wait to see more and not afraid to admit I live a bit vicariously through you adventuresome folks.

monkeemoves likes this.
  20. monkeemoves

HOBBY LOCKPICKS

Disclaimer: I enjoy lock picking as a hobby. It is great a pass-time, especially if you like puzzles, but should be used only for recreational purposes unless you are a locksmith. I do not encourage using lockpicking skills illegally. Additionally, be sure to check your local laws regarding carrying lockpicks.

I live in a city where street-sweepers cruise down particular roads once a week on a schedule. These street sweepers' brushes are comprised of many long, thin tines of a springy, high-carbon steel. Throughout their lifespans, these tines will break off and distribute themselves around town. I find them most often right along the curb next to the gutter.
    [​IMG]

They are usually rusty and dark, so before turning them into picks, I'll clean them up as shown by the tine at the bottom of the following picture.
    [​IMG]

Then I'll fold it in half back and forth until it snaps. They snap clean, and I use pliers to unbend the very end after snapping them.

[​IMG]

20 minutes with a Dremel and pliers (or muuuch longer with files and pliers) and I have two new lockpicks that also double as tension wrenches, as inspired by the Bagota Entry Toolset as seen on ITS Tactical. The first time I made them, I tried the twist and did not like it, so I keep it simple.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The picks in the photos are still rough--I'll be going back to thin out the working ends. I also store them in the manner seen on ITS Tactical:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Lastly, we keep a plethora of locks at home to play with. Most of them I have not yet conquered.
    [​IMG]
    The End. Happy training!

Antithetik and KODIAKman like this.