1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Molle panels?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Rdog, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

Anyone use those molle panels you place inside packs? (or one mounted on walls, vehicles, etc)

I've seen the 5.11 covrt inserts (sm-lg) $20-25 seems like a good price. How rigid are they and do you need to attach them to the interior of a bag?

There are hard plastic ones, like the panels from "grey man tactical", different sizes and both bag and wall mount versions. Look great, but expensive.

last there are US mil panels for vehicles, Ive seen them around the $20ish mark, made for seat backs or walls.
    What other options are out there? And do they work as one would hope? Anything to avoid?

Also, anyone DIY one? wood, kydex, plexiglass...something else?

I'd like to be able to mount some pouches in the inside of a pack to keep everything from just settling on the bottom.

2. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

I made a Velcro panel using a kydex sheet and some sticky back Velcro. Works great.

The problem with most of the MOLLE panels are that they’re not stiff enough.

The TAD Admin Panel hangs which is great if you’ve got something to hang it from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rdog likes this.
  3. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

One of my packs lacks any inner attachment points, so I either need to sew some in, or get something stiff for that one. Other packs have attachment points.
    I was thinking if I try a DIY version, I don't have any need to cut every single hole in the panel, just what I want mounted, so it shouldn't be all that hard. Just need to figure out the right material.

4. bnate

bnate Loaded Pockets

5. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

To use the TAD admin panel you do need something to suspend it from. I have one in my GHB in the car. The bag is a USGI Air Warrior Go Bag and I sewed some ITW 'Common loops' or rectangle D buckle and used them. Similar idea to the Kifaru pullout suspension idea.

6. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

I think what I want is a rigid frame like the grey man panels, but really didn't want to spend that much...thinking of trying the 5.11 panels, which seem to have a removable liner in them. I figured if it was not rigid enough I could DIY something and be cheaper than the grey man version.
    I don't know yet, I have a history of spending more money when I try and save a few bucks sometimes...some of you must understand that.

One of the packs I want to use this system in is my SOB T.H.E. pack which lacks any attachment point inside...a huge dislike for this pack, I'll need to figure out something, maybe velcro? sew on some loops? or maybe if its a rigid panel it can be wedged in if its the right size?

I'm not looking so much for an add on admin panel as some pouches that can hold ammo, mags, etc. and not all be in a pile at the bottom.
    I was aiming for pouches like what sometimes are called shaving kit, hygiene, or ditty bag style, having 2-3 stacked up and hopefully some pistol mags and handgun as well, all held vertical and then still be able to stuff a jacket or what not into the pack.

7. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

Had the thought this morning, could that plastic lattice work I wonder? There are different sizes available, I have some out in the garden I may see if some pouches can fit onto.

8. bnate

bnate Loaded Pockets

I'm with you and understand on the request...I do think the members are steering you toward an admin panel because the bags and pouches will still pile at the bottom of the bag. Most of my bags are single large storage with compartments and attachments, however, gravity is still a wicked be_otch. I've even sewed velcro against the back of the bag and then attached pouches there to prevent the bottom sag...

good luck

9. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

I don't understand how the pouches would end up at the bottom unless they came free of the panel...right? No different than pouches mounted on the outside of a pack on molle.

I guess what I'm looking for are options I don't know about with the panels. I can just buy a rigid panel and spend the money knowing I get a rigid panel, or I try what I assume is "semi-rigid", or flat out try a DIY one...which should be cheapest, unless it doesn't work as good as I hope then I try whatever is the next cheapest, and if thats not what I'm after I get the most expensive...The old buy once, cry once comes into action.

However I can't stop myself from exploring other options, namely because I have many packs, and one good panel insert isn't going to work for them all.

Why wouldn't a piece of 1/4 or 1/2 ply with pouches mounted work? A little extra weight is not an issue with my use, it would be cheap, I may try it, but it would be nice to find something ready made and cheap that would do it.

10. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

I've found it difficult to get hold of a rigid molle panel - I ended up using the Hazard 4 'Div' Divider - Meant to go into their messenger bags as an insert - MOLLE on one side, Velcro on the other.

The 5.11 insert has no rigidity whatsoever.

11. eira

eira Loaded Pockets

Google elastic cutting board from ikea, its quite cheap and rigid compare to kydex, i cut the board to fit the pack, glued velcro on it. Make 4 little hole and sew it into the edge of the pack so it stay firm.

12. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

I have thought about using a cutting board for this, looked at some large ~15x18 ones at walmart a day or so ago, but first figured I'd use some scrap material I had on hand.

I just received a new pack, and made up a quick board yesterday for it out of luan plywood. Need to pick up a few items I want to mount and then I'll see how the idea works.

If it works, I'll probably re make the board of a cutting board.