1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Moleskines

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Crocodilo, Jul 22, 2006.

1. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Resurrecting another one!

I just picked up some cool Moleskines from MoleskineUS. I have trouble with the all-black of the notebook and my daily planner (keep picking up the wrong one), so I opted for the Moleskine Red Twin Set for 2008. Can't miss it.

I also picked up their Cahier Pocket Ruled Notebook Set and EXTRA Large Ruled Notebook Set. Fiddle tunes go in one little book. Big books go in laptop case, car--they'll get around. Nice and flat. I ordered the buff color. ;D

2. TOB9595

TOB9595 Loaded Pockets

I edc the weekly planner...calender.
    I have it in a Daytimer cover from WAYBACK WHEN :)
    Namiki Vanishing point clipped inside the case...
    Here it is
    [​IMG]

Tom

3. pu1869

pu1869 Empty Pockets

I agree with the group that these are fine note books

I have a variety of them in use currently.

Pocket weekly planner: Track mileage for work travel
    Pocket notebook square: To do lists and other notes
    Pocket notebook lined: Geocahing log book
    Large notebook lined: journal

A lot of guys and work also use them for daily logs when dealing with customers since they can have a different volume for each customer. They make really great gift for the x-mas season.

4. pu1869

pu1869 Empty Pockets

TOB9595,

Is that a Namiki vanishing point fountain pen I see?

How do you like it and what other Fountains have you used.

5. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Meh, no "Rite in the rain" version. :p

6. TNRonin

TNRonin Loaded Pockets

got one of the covers for mine, I love the thing.

7. Leemann

Leemann Loaded Pockets

I have several one has been used for geocaching like a diary and everything els too, it has signatures in it.
    Erle Hebner head ref WWE, Maven, Devon Dudley .

Well worth the money
    Lee

8. nomaded

nomaded Empty Pockets

I carry a small Ruled Reporters Notepad with me pretty much always (stuffed in my left back pocket). I use a modified version of the PigPogPDA for keeping track of various "stuffs", GTD-style. I also carry one of many different fountain pens with me for jotting in my notepad. I also use both sides of each page, but I don't really have much of a bleed through problem.

9. Old Man

Old Man Empty Pockets

Softcover moleskines! Now if they would just shave off half an inch from each dimension it really would be perfect.

10. icqcq

icqcq Loaded Pockets

For those of you who missed it, I reviewed a new (newly found) notebook, the Leuchtturm:

Leuchtturm Review

The pages are thicker than the Moleskine, and I'm not having bleedthrough with my fountain pen (in fact, I have a hard time seeing that I wrote anything on the other side).

I love my Moleskines, but I think I love the Leuchtturm more....

11. TripleBogey

TripleBogey Loaded Pockets

I carry a moleskine around with me, I've substituted gaffers tape instead of duct tape. It has more a matt fabric finish so I feel it has a better grip and the adhesive is more forgiving to mis-placement. I use a pilot g-2 but sometimes switch to a mechanical pencil or a zebra 701 ball point. If I feel the urge to use a fountain pen, the I will use a Clairefontaine notebook.

12. Sharpy_swe

Sharpy_swe Loaded Pockets

I bought my first Moleskine's today. Haven't tried them yet, but they feel nice to the touch ;)

(9 x 14 cm = 3.5 x 5.5 inches)

[​IMG]

13. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

After quite some time, I got tired of fishing for the Space Pen in my pockets, and devised a simple way to keep it attached to my Moleskines.

Do take note that my notebooks all have some duct tape reinforcements installed, and this mod is just another one: black duct tape (actually, it's a cloth-type duct tape), bent in such a way that will hold the pen and remain attached to the book. It is very easy to make, and while doing that, it will be permanently sized for the pen intended. I've prepared a drawing, in which green is glue side, red is non-sticky side of tape.

When the book is closed, the cover helps sustain things. When the book is open, most of the time the pen will be removed for writing. The whole thing seems sturdy enough to last my normal Moleskine usage period of four months in a jeans back pocket, before being archived. Every four months, out comes a new one, and ten minutes' work with duct tape and labels set me up as I like.

Attached Files:

14. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Pics:

Attached Files:

15. Old Man

Old Man Empty Pockets

That's a very well executed modification. Note that if you attach a similar loop to the front cover, offset from the other one of course, and run the pen through both, then you can use the pen to hold your notebook shut. This of course is utterly redundant on a moleskine, but I've done it on other notebooks.

Right now I just hook a Zebra G-301 in the spine. It's no Fisher Space Pen though.

16. TNRonin

TNRonin Loaded Pockets

I picked up a couple bookslings for my pocket moleskines. I don't have pen loops on my two renaissance art covers so I had to do this. These appear to be quite good and the elastic feels like it will last a while. I found it necessary to cut a couple slits in the folds of the back pocket so the sling would all the use of the pocket. I like them, and you can get them w/o that page marker. HTH.

Mitch

17. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

I finally got the moleskine I have wanted since I first saw it online years ago. A Japanese Moleskine. I'll have to post a pic of it. I'm not sure why I wanted it, but it is coool!! :roof:
    :)

Jason

18. HammerHead

HammerHead Loaded Pockets

I picked up my first one, yesterday. I can't believe what it took to find them, locally. I went to several bookstores and a stationary store, before I finally found them at Whole Earth Provision Company, of all places. To top it all off, I went to WEPC to look for a binocular strap, not the Moleskine.

I chose a pocket square variety.

So far neither the gel ink in my G301, nor the Waterman rollerball ink in my Rotring 600 have leaked through the pages. The Rotring is entirely too cumbersome to use, regularly, on this little pad, though. I'm rather impressed by the layout of this thing, I hadn't imagined it would be so versatile.

19. TNRonin

TNRonin Loaded Pockets

I love the grid model, I like it because you can diagram or write in it. It just seems more symetrical to me.

20. HammerHead

HammerHead Loaded Pockets

The ability to diagram easily is one of the major reasons I chose a grid model. I'm planning to use this one, heavily, for amateur astronomy. One of the biggest tips handed out to beginners is to draw the constellations out to help you recognize them. So far the grid has been great for that :)

So far, I've modified mine using several of the suggestions in this thread:

1. I stuck about half a dozen Post-It notes to the inside cover, something I'd never thought to do, but a great idea. Thanks to all of you who have mentioned it :D

2. I also stuck a few Post-It flags to the inside cover, for the same reasons.

3. I used some white electrical tape to apply a large "L" to both covers, should I leave it someplace dumb in the dark, while fascinated by something shiny :D

4. So far, I don't have anything to slip into the back pocket, in terms of notes or business cards, or whatever. So, I've slipped two large band-aids, two smaller band-aids, a couple of butterflies, a couple disinfectant wipes, a couple of sting pads and my lens cleaner in it.