1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Moleskines

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Crocodilo, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure if someone has started a thread on these notebooks, but if not, the time is right.

I EDC a pocket model, squared paper, with some custumization:

- Grey duct tape holding the spine and the pocket in the back, for extra strength
    - A few colour labels marking important sections, and a few spare ones on the last page
    - A few blank 3 x 5 sticky notes and ruled index cards on the first page for quick notes and messages
    - My ID, ATM and VISA cards on the back pocket, as well as cash in the last page: the moleskine is my wallet
    - A simple knot tied on the page marker, to keep it from slipping to the inside of the book

Contents of the pages are just about everything: planners, schedules, task lists, contacts, info on work projects, personal notes, etc.

As for writing, my favorite utensils are:

-Fisher Space Pen, bullet model with fine black load: perfect for reliability and pocketability
    -Pilot G-2 0.7 black ink, for writing pleasure, used at work or when at a desk
    -Pencils, Staedlers HB or 2B, for plain speed, sharpened with my Benchmade's combo edge serrations

How about your own experiences with these notebooks?

Attached Files:

2. Jumpmaster

Jumpmaster Banned

3. spocky

spocky Empty Pockets

I carry one of their pocket-sized cahier notebooks everywhere I go. it's about 1/3 the thickness of a normal pocket-sized one, with soft covers. they're much easier to carry in a back pocket than the normal ones, imo. Moleskines make really great gifts, esp. for hard-to-shop-for people--they're classy and just plain handy.

4. LowWorm

LowWorm Guest

Okay, maybe I just had an anomalous experience with my Moleskine...bought one a few years ago (grid lines) and use it...but I thought the paper was too thin... I like to use both sides of the page, and I hated seeing writing come through the page. I used just regular gel ink, or fine felt tip if I remember right.

My nice little elastic band also snapped off...without abuse!

Didn't use it much after that. I need to revisit it now to see if I feel the same way about it.

5. wolf

wolf Loaded Pockets

I've had a similar problem with the pages bleeding through. I use gel ink most of the time and it seems to seep right through. Otherwise I really like em. I have one in my Jumbo that gets lugged around most of the time.

6. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Bleed through on Moleskines is a known fact. Only way around it is to carefully choose which pen to use. Ballpoints are usually safe, some fountain pen inks on fine nibs may work well, pencils are simply great! The Pilot G-2 bleeds a bit, but I kinda got used to it. Actually, it's not a bleed through, it's more of a "see-through"...

7. Sproles

Sproles Loaded Pockets

Use my 8" x 5" (aprox) as my daily Bible study journal. LOVE it...

I also have a pocket sized in the "last ditch effort" gear I carry in the car.

Sproles

8. mrmakochan

mrmakochan Loaded Pockets

I use mine all the time as a "to-do list". I draw a little box and then write down what I need to do next to it. Then I check off the box when its completed. I carry my Moleskin in my messenger bag and frequently pull it out either to make new entries or remind myself of what I need to do. I contemplated buying a PDA to do the same function but I'm glad I got this Moleskin instead. It was so much cheaper and it doesn't require batteries.

Cheers!

9. BTJ

BTJ Empty Pockets

I EDC a small squared Moleskine with a Pilot G-2 07. It gets used for basic lists, notes, ideas, etc.

10. JoeBob

JoeBob Empty Pockets

I carry a standard Moleskine in my bag, and have started carrying a cahiers pocket size for notes and lists.
    Bullet Fisher pen to accompany said notebooks.

11. loveit

loveit Uber Prepared

I carry the thin version in my purse and use it for notes to myself. I write in it with a mechanical pencil, so the thin pages work fine. I bought the heavier/normal one, but I prefer the light weight of the thin one. I love these!

12. GiveMeLight

GiveMeLight Loaded Pockets

+1 for Moleskine notebooks!
    Have a pocket sketchbook (thicker paper), unlined pocket reporter.
    Just recently picked up the 18 month weekly planner/notebook combo. (Left page is weekly planner, right page is ruled memo page.) Has softcover instead of the hardcover.

Last year I purchased the 12 month weekly planner for my gf. She has loved it so much I just got her one for 2007 also.

13. paulr

paulr Empty Pockets

I like the small Moleskines.  I've been using Clairefontaine pocket notebooks but the Moleskines look a little tougher and I'll probably switch when it's time to buy a new notebook.  I've never wanted a PDA, the small paper notebook is way more practical, doesn't need batteries, and is much less obtrusive.  When I remember to do so I back it up by photographing the pages with a digicam.  That saved my a** once when I obliterated a notebook by sending it through a washing machine by accident.

When I need to reinforce a spine I like to use fiberglass-reinforced packing tape instead of duct tape.  It's very strong, and it doesn't slide around or get goo all over the place like duct tape does.

14. Bighead

Bighead Loaded Pockets

I like the ideas of reinforcing the spine, but just so that you guys know, I had a flip over one (like the journalist style) that separated inside. Carry is in my back pocket all the time. And as a tip, the Pilot G-2 0.5 fine tipped gel pen does much better on the paper than a 0.7. I have used both, and only use 0.7 if I absolutely have to.

15. bma

bma Loaded Pockets

That's funny... I prefer the exact opposite. :) The 05 model always feels like it's going to rip the paper when I'm writing on it... I find that the 07 is much smoother and soothing to write with.

16. GiveMeLight

GiveMeLight Loaded Pockets

Do you write with a heavy hand? (lots of pressure)
    -When you write in your moleskine, or on a pad of paper, when going to the sheet underneath... Are you able to see an imprint of your words from the previous page?
    I generally use a mechanical pencil in my moleskines, but occasionally use pens.
    Uniball Signo DX in 0.38, amd 0.28 (only the 0.28 is a little scratchy, the 0.38 writes smoothly)
    Pilot Hi-Tec-C 0.40 and 0.25 (both of these feel scratchy on any paper due to the tip shape and small size)
    I used to write with a lot of pressure, but have retrained myself slowly over the last two years or so to write with a light touch.

17. bma

bma Loaded Pockets

I probably write heavier than your average joe, but usually not hard enough to make an imprint on pages beneath it.

I think it just boils down to personal preference. Another of my moleskine-carrying friends uses the 07 model as well.

When I'm not using a pen, I use a Pentel 7mm mechanical pencil.

18. wolf

wolf Loaded Pockets

19. laurent

laurent Empty Pockets

I also carry some Clairefontaine (not always that precise brand) notebook, ever the 192 pages, 110 x 170 mm one (about 4 1/3 x 6 2/3"). I do it since I'm 18. Time to time, I try other size or binding, but I ever come back to this format. It's like a Moleskine, but low-profile, less hype, then cheaper and of overall better quality.

20. murchmb

murchmb Empty Pockets

I EDC a small weekly planner.  Penwise, I use a Rontring 600RB with a Uniball .38mm refill.  Smooth and thin enough to write legibly in the planner.  I also use a Space Pen on occasion.