1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Moleskine Hard vs. Soft Cover

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by xpaulinabearx, Jul 28, 2009.

?

Should I get a hard or soft cover moleskine weekly planner?

1. Hard

25 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Soft

27 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. xpaulinabearx

xpaulinabearx Empty Pockets

Hey guys,

I need to buy a new planner because my high school does not sell planners to students anymore..
    I want to buy a moleskine weekly planner, but i'm not sure if i should get the hard cover or soft cover. I read a post similar to this one, but I wasn't really getting the information I wanted. I'm a student, and i'm going to be using this for school, and i'm going to be carrying it around, taking it home, taking it to classes, and putting it in my locker. I was just wondering if I should get the soft or hard cover. What do you guys think?

Thanks

2. Mr. Henk

Mr. Henk Empty Pockets

If you're putting it in your bag than definitely get the hard cover. If you're going to use it everyday a soft cover will wear down much faster than a hard cover.

3. Zwiebelkeks

Zwiebelkeks Empty Pockets

+1 on the hard cover. More likely to survive being tossed around during your everyday school routine...
    (Plus, a worn-out hardcover notebook eventually looks more stylish than a soft cover or paperback, if you ask me)

4. FeebleOldMan

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

If you're going to carry it in your pocket most of the time, get the soft cover.
    If you're going to carry it in a bag most of the time, get the hard cover.
    :luck:

5. xpaulinabearx

so the hard cover is more durable? because i'm going to be carrying it around and stuff

6. hardcider75

hardcider75 Loaded Pockets

I've had both; the soft cover planner and the hard cover journal.

I liked the soft cover for carry in my cargo pocket & jeans back pocket.

The hard cover is definitely a bag carry item, unless you wear a jacket. In which case it could be carried comfortable in your inside pocket.

7. xpaulinabearx

I think i'm going to go for the hard cover. Does anybody know where I can buy a moleskine weekly planner for cheap??

8. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

It depends on your needs and how you will generally be carrying the notebook...

The hardcover is obviously going to be rigid, so as a notebook keeps it flat and more protected against getting folded over or the pages crumpled, but is a slightly more awkward thing to carry. If you are going to be keeping it in a bag with folders and books and so on then the hardcover makes sense to keep everything safe and solid (easier to slip back into a bag). It should also wear slightly better.

A softcover being soft and flexible lacks the protection, but being less rigid will fit in a pocket or somewhere else flexible better - instead of being a solid square standing out against the curve of your body it will bend and keep shape, so is more comfortable to carry. A tradeoff since it means it will be more susceptible to damage, but imho worth it for an easier carry and a few dollars for a new book every so often.

9. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I like these folks. Get on their mailing list, and they let you know of special sales or discounts.

I've tried both, and I now prefer the soft cover. If you have a pocket in your bag, you can slip it in there instead of digging for it, so the hard cover isn't necessary for longevity. I keep the soft cover in my purse with all the other stuff, and the soft cover holds up just fine. I do have a hard cover for their watercolor book to protect the pages.

10. Griff3n

Griff3n Empty Pockets

I'd have to go with hard, the durability is the factor for me and what goes in this notebook usually is meant to stay there.

11. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

I prefer the hard-cover Moleskine and Rhodia journals.

12. STHFNGLD

STHFNGLD Empty Pockets

Usually, I prefer soft-cover Moleskines, especially pocket sized notebooks. However, I carry the planners in my bag which gets tossed around (I'm in high school as well), so I tend to buy hard-covered planners. I guess it depends on how you carry it. Either way, gotta love those Moleskines O0

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I can't decide one way or another. The soft-cover is definitely better for the pocket planner, but for anything bigger, the hard cover provides it's own writing surface and really isn't much thicker.
    I guess I will just have to abstain from voting. :shrug:

14. Atrain

Atrain Empty Pockets

i have 12 hard and 4 soft i lose the soft to easy

15. wenestvedt

wenestvedt Loaded Pockets

Hardcover for general notebooks, but softcover for a planner you intend to carry in your pocket.

I got a softcover for 2008 and it went everywhere; this year I got a hardcover and i forget the :censored: thing every few days. I hate it, and can't wait for the new year to get a softcover planner again. :7)

- Will

16. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Your pocket will look a little weird with a hard cover moleskine. I like my soft cover, but it is a pocket item.

17. Crux

Crux Loaded Pockets

In my high school experience, any softcover book carried in a backpack will look like it's in "fair" condition (as in the textbook condition ratings) after a week. Go for the hardcover if you aren't going to have it in a pocket all the time.

18. icemncmth

icemncmth Loaded Pockets

19. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Neither...Rhodia #11 lined with a cover!!!

20. somber

somber Banned

This looks nice. If I didn't lose my job the other day, I would think this would be a good investment. The only downside is that you lose the functionality of the strap, but I guess for my main moleskine it generally stays open next to my keyboard on the last entry I wrote, and my journal notepad for quick notes I don't keep strap closed, either.

Typically I like the soft cover, and the hard cover only for my journal. This is just me.
    I guess its because I keep my finances in a soft cover and it's always in my bag, I love the feel of it, I guess.