1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Modularity vs. All in one

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Lefty923, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Lefty923

Lefty923 Loaded Pockets

Just thinking out loud here, bare with me.

Something I've come to always consider when looking for a new pack. Whether it be for EDC, travel or hiking/camping.

Do I buy something with multiple pockets built in, or do I go with multiple pouches and a simple pack to contain them? While I find in a EDC situation the all in one works best and simplest for the most part, having multiple dedicated pouches works best in several scenarios such as when swapping packs. Let's face it, there isn't one pack to fit all situations, it just doesn't exist.

I find what I need for my EDC needs the over all pack must be quick, easy, and unobtrusive. I'm got going to live out of it. I just need some basic storage. Whereas if I'm out in the bush, I will rely more on the actual size and weight of the bag. What I carry everyday won't cut it.

I think having a modularity type of set up, works best if you use multiple packs based on need and situation.

For my bushcraft/camping needs I usually carry a Frost River Royale Jr.
    For hiking I usually carry a Kelty Map 3500
    For EDC it's been a 5.11 Messenger or a Frost River Messenger

There is a fair bit of difference between what I carry for EDC vs. out in the bush or hiking. But they do bleed over in some ways.

Not having to pull out a pouch to access tools and daily need is nice, but when switching to a different pack, unless it has the same pockets, organizing can be a pain. Of course you could always have multiples of the same tools for each pack. Just moving pouches from one bag to another can be pretty nice.

Sometimes less is more, and sometimes more is way too much. I guess what I'm saying is if I go with multiple pouches, I can opt for less options in a pack.

Thoughts?

ManVsLawn likes this.
  2. rearmount

rearmount Loaded Pockets

I have a lot of bags. Each bag has a purpose. Before I pick out the bag for the day, I lay out everything that I want to carry and I pick a suitable bag for the task. I, too, like a bag with small slots/compartments for EDC use. The problem with attaching pouches is that those pouches add weight, and I definitely don't need 1000 denier pouches for the interior of a bag.

One trend that I'm noticing is the prevalence of using hook-and-loop for interior pouches, such as the Khard packs. My problem with that is if you're constantly swapping out loadouts, that hook-and-loop wears down. What happens down the road when that loop section is no longer "sticky"? Will Arcteryx take the bag back and restitch new loop sections? Otherwise, that pack turns into a giant sack...

Last edited by rearmount, Sep 13, 2015
    TheMechanic, Lefty923 and ManVsLawn like this.
  3. Lefty923

Lefty923 Loaded Pockets

I agree with the velcro. I like to avoid packs with a lot of it, and especially if it's in critical places. It will wear out.

TheMechanic and ManVsLawn like this.
  4. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm big for 'modules'/kits. It makes for easy transfer and prevents (unnecessary) overlap.

I can take appropriate kits in appropriate bags with little fuss.

Lefty923 likes this.
  5. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

I'm not an expert in packs/bags, but extrapolating from flashlights (lol) , I prefer modularity to "all-in-one" .

It is great having a modular system, where all of the parts can be be precisely customized for specific purposes.

ManVsLawn and Lefty923 like this.
  6. TheMechanic

TheMechanic Loaded Pockets

I looked into the module thing but finding just a wall of molle with backpack straps was a fruitless effort

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn likes this.
  7. Lefty923

Lefty923 Loaded Pockets

I generally don't use the molle. I don't care for a bunch of things hanging off my pack. But if a pack doesn't have the organization built in, it's a nice option to have.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  8. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

You could probably have one custom made for around the price some higher end packs.

ManVsLawn and TheMechanic like this.
  9. TheMechanic

Thus defeating the purpose

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn likes this.
  10. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

Hey some people have money to throw around lol.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  11. TheMechanic

Depending on the circumstances we call them people with more money than brains (not always).
    Idk maybe if you could get it produced you'd have a feasible product

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn likes this.
  12. BrokenHandle

BrokenHandle Loaded Pockets

I'm trying to kit out a smaller EDC bag with the same principles. I find that the Maxpedition pouches are too overbuilt for this purpose. I want something akin to small "pack it" pouches, with a few internal loops, that I can throw into my small edc away bag depending on what I'm doing that day. Ideally made from ultralight rip proof thin nylon with a pull handle (REI has a day hike first aid kit with the exact form factor I'm looking for, albeit a bit tiny for some kit).

Some examples:
    First aid pouch
    Charger / cables pouch
    Toolie pouch with bits, drivers, adapters
    Concert/race pouch (earplugs, sunscreen, etc)
    Rain pouch (micro umbrella, rain hat)
    Vision pouch (flashlight, glasses, loupe, cleaner)
    Survival pouch (because I don't expect to need to catch fish or make snares with any of the above activities)
    Tactical pouch

Edited to add: some of the pocket organizers mentioned in another thread might meet my pouch requirements. They need to be without any external frills so that I can easily slide them in/out of the mini master edc bag.

Edited too to add: including pic of REI First Aid pouch that nails the form factor for building a modular micro edc bag to hold multiple pouches like this. Maybe it's EODC : every other day carry (depending on agenda).
    [​IMG]

13. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

the REI pack is a great product. i carried one for years.
    For my taste, its about "more ~" vs. "less tactical". there are a LOT of good bags out there, 100 ways to carry them.
    molle is practical, when organization inside the bag is not enough.
    i carry all black, try not to fit in the "ninja" or "tactical-shoot-me-first" - context too much.

it depends on taste and what you want to do with it/ what you prepare for.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  14. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Modularity every time. Has enabled me to do a last minute change of bag without forgetting anything.

Rverdi, ManVsLawn and Lefty923 like this.
  15. Endless Fugue

Endless Fugue Loaded Pockets

All my bags have some crossover in things that I want to carry if I have a bag. Thus all of my bags have those thing: bi-fold wallet type Kleenex packets, a notebook, favorite pen, favorite pencil, a deck of cards, a large handkerchief, a pair of gloves, chap stick, eye drops, gum, an extra bic lighter, a 'mini medical/usefull stuff,' and a few other odds and ends. All bags will have these items so I need some organization from each bag so I don't have to move these items back and forth.

I then also have a modular system a la theUrbanPrepper. I have an electronics compartment, a health compartment, an extended tool/miscellaneous compartment, a small snack compartment (I would duplicate this per bag, but I found there was less spoilage and a greater chance of replacing used food/condiments/teas this way), medical compartment, and an emergency compartment. Also a few others for specific occasions such as soccer, outings with girlfriend, ect. I take whatever combination is required for the day/outing.

Most of my specific compartments have a 'lightweight' and a 'full' capacity so I can vary my weight. Ex: I'll take a light electronics compartment (external battery, cables to charge, and small Bluetooth headset for talking on the phone in the car) so I can take a larger medical kit and more food to go to the fair for a day.

I feel this allows for a fairly fast ability to transfer items at the beginning of the day, so I can always have the peace of mind of at least Feeling prepared when I go out and prevent some anxiety.

I always keep my compartments inside my bags (none of them have external molly anyway,, but even if they did I would keep them in the bag) Sorry I can't comment too much on the bushcraft side of things. I only to lite camping (<3 days) and day or day and a half hikes. For these activities I always custom pick my setup due to the infrequence of said activities.

Maybe someday I'll make a post about my mini medical/usefull stuff thingy I put in all my bags. Has a couple boo boo bandaids, a Neosporin packet, an alcohol wipe, a wet wipe, a couple flossing picks, a toothpick, a cable tie, a paperclip, a Shout stain removal wipe, a couple of other things in a craft bag. addition edit* This little bag also has a safety pen, a pair of ear plugs, a splinter out, two q-tips, and a few assorted pills.

Last edited by Endless Fugue, Sep 14, 2015
    Myrddraal and BrokenHandle like this.
  16. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

For me, built in organization all the way for these reasons:

• My bags are used simultaneously for at least half of the week (at work one bag is in the station and one bag is in the ambulance) so they all need to contain the same items simultaneously.
    • I use all three bags so frequently throughout each week that it would be too time consuming to always be switching pouches back and forth. If everything stays in there all the time, then no hassle and no worry. Just grab and go.
    • I can't stand having to go through multiple layers to get an item. If I want my multitool that rests in the front organizational pocket of my Rush 12 for example, I simply unzip the front compartment, pull it out, and zip compartment back up. Quick and efficient. If it was in a pouch in the bag, I'd now have to unzip the main bag compartment, pull organizer pouch completely out of bag, unzip organizer pouch, pull multitool out, zip up organizer pouch, replace organizer pouch back into the bag, and zip up main bag compartment. That drives me bonkers. I do have an organizer pouch I keep in my truck console to keep less used items organized and tidy. I don't like having to get an item out of there when I can avoid it for that very reason.
    • Less digging around. If you're main compartment is stuffed with a bunch of different pouches you now have to go digging to find the correct pouch to access your needed item. If you just use the built in organization than every item has it's own specific slot that does not move around or have other stuff get on top of it. Just pull it out of it's designated spot and carry on.
    • Less clutter. If you have multiple pouches stuffed in the main compartment but today decided you also wanted to bring a couple books and maybe a laptop, now where does everything go? You're gonna have pouches jammed on top of the books. Any time you want to get out or put back in the books you have to push the pouches to this side or that to make room for it. If you use the built in organization then everything is stowed away giving you the main compartment to add items as needed without cumbersome moving to and fro of pouches.
    Do these points apply to everyone's needs and uses? Of course not. But for my current needs built in organization is the clear choice.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  17. Dany

Dany Loaded Pockets

As stated elsewhere in this forum I'm all into modularity / specific kits. I own several bags - each one has it's specific purpose. My EDC-stuff is seperated in different individual pouches that can be switched from one bag to the other with just one grab. Depends on what I need for the day and the purpose.

Dany

T Shrapnel-Carruthers likes this.
  18. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

Google the "Propper U.C Pack"

19. Dany

Dany Loaded Pockets

The solution for me is not to hang dozens of pouches to the molle ON my bag but instead to pack all my stuff in seperate modules that go IN my packs.For example: I own a Maxped Mongo, a Colossus and a Magforce Super-Falcon - and depending on my particular needs I choose the particular pack.

My sort of "Survival-Pouch" (a Maxped Janus) fit's perfectly in the top compartment of the Superfalcon, goes in the main-compartment of my Mongo (and if in need of more space in the main compartment I can still slide it through the strap of the Mongo without any speed clips / Tac ties etc.) or I put it in the main compartment of the Colossus. Same goes with all my power-cords (that are currently held together in pocket organizer pouch), for my IFAK and my pouch for pencils etc. If I go to work, I carry what I need. If I go in a hiking trip, I just switch the main bag and grab those pouches that I need and trowgh them in there.

I always carry a few extra blackhawk speed clips with me so that when I really need the space IN the bag I can still attach my pouches on the outside if I want to. But generally I personally want my bags to have a "clean" look with as less things attached to them as possible.

20. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

I prefer a similar method I have just yet to find my equivalent to you'r maxped janus. I have a stigma against maxped so it makes things a bit more difficult lol.