1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Modular camping/hunting backpack system

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Warrior's Meadow, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Warrior's Meadow

Warrior's Meadow Loaded Pockets

Good afternoon,

I know it's not EDC but I'm hoping with everyone's knowledge here that someone has a solution to my backpack needs.

I currently use a M.E.C. 3l hyrdation pack as my daily bow hunting bag and i'd like to base a camping/ hunting system around it.

My ideal setup would be:
    -tent attached to the bottom
    -sleep system attached to the top
    -two decent size side pouches
    -low profile pack, no preference with regards to internal or external frame
    - the M.E.C. pack on the outside.

The main thing I'm looking for in this system is the ability to drop the main bag, grab the day bag and go. I also like the idea of the rest being modular so i can add and remove gear easily depending on the trip at hand.

The fear with attaching my day bag to some of the bags with 10l side pouches I've see is the weight, with the water bladder, being too far away from my body.

Thanks in advance,
    W.M.

2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

3. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

Sounds like my Rucksack and later my MOLLE Pack I used when I was in the Army. Had tons of modularity but I hated the MOLLE Rucksack. What I have use recently is a smaller pack with a dry bag strapped to the bottom. Think through your system it might be that it’s better to put the tent on top and the sleep system on the bottom. I used to have an Eagle Assault Pack that you could use side accessory pouches that would clip into the side compression straps. I had three of those and could get a bivy bag and poncho liner in the bottom pouch; rain gear in one of the side pouches; snivel gear in the other side pouch; and all my other gear in the main pack.

You might try looking at some of the products from Hill People Gear and Mystery Ranch they may have some options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

5. Warrior's Meadow

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

The osprey looks good but I'm not sure I will be able to attach all the extra gear and the side pouches. I might be able to slide my day bag where the one it comes with goes but i don't know how secure that will be.

I had seen the hill people gear and mystery ranch bags before but i don't think I'm ready to commit to those prices. The tom bihn looks promising as well but again sticker shock.

Does anyone know of any low profile military surplus packs or frames i could use as a base?

Thanks again,
    W.M.

6. Jdjernigan

Find a military surplus store and hit it up. See if you can find a Blackhawk SOF Ruck, I have one and they are pretty awesome. It’s an ALICE frame and not a MOLLE pack.

7. pieceofwork

pieceofwork Loaded Pockets

Will this pack be used exclusively for backpack hunting that involves several nights in the back country? If you're looking for one pack that does it all, you will end up with something that's not particularly well suited for any given use. I would advise against this and decide on a very specific goal for this pack.

If you intend to use the pack for backpack hunting, Kifaru and Mystery Ranch come to mind. However, the fact that you said "the Osprey looks good" leads me to believe you have not identified a specific use for this bag, because the Osprey pack is not suitable for hunting and packing out extremely heavy loads of meat, nor is it large enough for extended hunts.

8. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Check out Eberlestock

Jay-uk likes this.
  9. pieceofwork

I'd be careful going that route.

http://www.eberlestock.com/store/Skycrane-ll

Please do not buy an 11 pound backpack for camping. If you ever go on a true backpacking trip you will regret that purchase (and you'll pay for it every step of the way). Most Eberlestock packs are ridiculously heavy, and are designed specifically for brutal use by deployed military. I will caveat this by saying Eberlestock does have some hunting packs, but nothing that can compete with Kifaru.

10. Jdjernigan

Weight is an issue with military style packs. If you can compromise on the modularity you are looking for and get into an internal frame pack you will find it much more comfortable and lighter. The military gear was built for durability and not comfort as a priority. I agree with the person that posted that you need to figure out what the purpose of the pack is. Is it a hunting pack, a bug out bag, hiking/camping pack, etc? Can you pack your gear into stuff bags and throw in a bag with snivel gear when you need it or leave it at home when you don’t. If it is a backpacking bag but you want it to serve as a get out of dodge pack then get something with a bit more capacity and then get a stuff sack with the “stuff” specific to the mission. Also spend sometime thinking about what you are wanting to carry. Invest in good quality backpacking gear such as sleeping bags that are lightweight and take up a small amount of space. Do you need a tent or would a bivy bag or a hammock and tarp do the job? Spend some time checking out some of the ultralight backpacking sites but be careful not to go too crazy as the lighter you get the more comfort you sacrifice.

pieceofwork likes this.
  11. Boarhunterward

Boarhunterward Loaded Pockets

+1 for Hill People Gear. Their suspension system is one of the best I’ve used.

Mudinyeri likes this.
  12. Flashman

Flashman Loaded Pockets

13. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

A. Eberlestock now makes lighter-weight packs
    B. If the OP wants a "do everything" modular pack ... he's probably going to have to put up with some weight.
    C. I've carried a heavy Eberlestock pack all over hunting, hiking, etc. and I ain't dead yet.

Jay-uk and onebadwagon like this.
  14. Warrior's Meadow

Thanks again for everyone taking the time to reply.

The pack will mainly be used for hunting but I am hoping I can use it for hike in camping trips from time to time. I think I may be trying, as usual, to kill too many birds with one stone. Not sure who said it but i should make a list of everything I think I'll need to carry and go from there. I also think i have my bow hunting day bag so dialed in that I'm afraid to change it up.

As far as the Alps bag goes i have looked long and hard at the commander x but i wasn't sold on the day bag, because it isn't mine.

Maybe I should actually visit an army surplus store and see what i can find. I have read a few things about people having good luck with a few surplus packs for hunting.

Thanks again,
    W.M.

15. Cpl Ledanek

Cpl Ledanek Loaded Pockets

16. pieceofwork

Right, which is why I pointed that out in my post by saying they also produce some hunting packs.

Yep, but there's no such thing as a "do everything" pack that actually does everything well. If there were, everyone would own one backpack, and that'd be it.

Are you implying that because you haven't died, weight savings is not important when hiking long distances? If that's not your point, I'm struggling to understand what you're saying here.

RoadWizard likes this.
  17. Warrior's Meadow

Hello again,

I've looked at everyone's suggestions and I've come to the conclusion that my big hindrance in my plan is my hydration bag. After considerable thought I don't think I actually need it and can get away with my maxped thermite (drop leg pouch) with a water bottle pouch attached.

I'm trying to hard with my modular pack idea.

Also I'm probably only going to be doing weekend hunting trips for a few years or so and how much gear do I really for a weekend?

That being said is it possible to get a hunting pack that will be ok for regular weekend hike in camping or is the weight penalty not worth it. I figure I won't be doing any week long excursions for at least 5-10 years until the kids are older.

The biggest thing I want is the able to haul all my gear into our base camp in one haul. Last year we pulled in a sled and it made way to much noise for my liking. Plus I got a lot sweatier than I'd like before trying to sit still in 0 degree Celsius weather. That's why I was so stuck on having my day pack, so I could hike in drop the main pack and go. If i can make my drop leg kit work I should have the mobility I'm looking for.

Thanks again,
    W.M.

18. KBKB

KBKB Empty Pockets

Take a look at the Kifaru Nomad 2. It has some wings / pockets which wrap around whatever contents you place at the center. These contents could be your present day pack, complete with hydration reservoir (plus some other stuff too if you wanted). This arrangement would keep your hydration reservoir fairly close to your back.

crossada likes this.
  19. Warrior's Meadow

Other than the price the nomad is the perfect solution.

My thought now is to find a freighter style cargo frame and see if i can attach longer side pouches to create a similar system.

So far the frames I've been looking at are the l.l. bean hunter's carry all (great price), eberlestock mainframe, Canadian military eryx (but i can't seem to find where to.buy one) as well as other military and hunting frames.

I've also been looking at the following pack/ frame systems like ths molle ii and the alps outdoorz commamder and commander x. These would give me a great starting point with the ability to slowly work at creating my own nomad.

I'm now curious to see if anyone else has created a similar style system of their own. Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
    W.M.

20. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

This weekend I took a Karrimor SF + side pouches, when I get my camp set up then the side pouches of the SF zip off.
    Then the pack itself zips together and compresses goes down to nothing really small ,that get stashed away then the empty pouches zip together on a harness and become my day bag

#20 Jay-uk, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018