1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Modified Prybar From Home Depot

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by neutrontech, May 6, 2011.

1. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

*Sorry for the poor quality of my pics*

I bought this prybar from Home Depot for $3.87 + tax

[​IMG]

Then put it to the grinder, cut off one end and rounded it. Then I dipped it in Plasti Dip and did the CC paracord wrap on it. Here is the results.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still need to get the rest of the blue out of the crevices, but all-in-all, it works pretty well and I'm happy with it.

2. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

3. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Empty Pockets

Wow Looks real good. Can you get plasti dip at home depo also?

4. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

I'm not sure, honestly. I bought the Plasti Dip at Ace Hardware a few weeks ago.

5. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

A great idea.

6. Silver Trooper

Silver Trooper Loaded Pockets

Home Depot usually has Plasti Dip in red and black, sometimes yellow. They also carry the spray version. So does Lowes. Also, for all you military and retired military, don't forget to ask for your 10% discount at either store. And that is for any purchase, any day. (Although they may have a limit on the amount of the total discount).

7. ketsueki

ketsueki Empty Pockets

Home Depots military/veteran discount is dependant on the managers chioce, they can choose when to give the discount. At the one that my mom works at they only give it on a few days a year although you can ask for it and they will sometimes give it to you but as I said it depends on the manager.

8. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Good idea. Nice work. Custom peice with the satisfaction of doing it yourself. :agree:

9. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Neutrontech, nice work.

A heads up, though. There is what initially looks to be an identical pry bar made by Stanley (I bought cheaply at Walmart) which even has an exceeding similar model number, but having owned both the blue Home Depot one and the yellow/black Stanley version, I can tell you they are not exactly the same and the Stanley one is thicker and stronger (and looks cooler, more like a real-deal crowbar :) )

I also modified mine (both actually) so it fits in my Maxpedition pocket organizer, however I cut down the length and preserved the right angle part. I preserved the beveled edge by sawing off and filing the long end at a 45 degree angle and also added small lengths of vinyl tubing as guards so I dont rip my bag over time. I put plastic dip on the blue one but now consider that a waste of time because it will rip up with the first serious use of the tips. Go with a removable guard end cap. I also vetoed the small nail puller nick I fashioned in my original blue one's mod and decided a solid front edge is stronger and less likely to have the tips snap off in heavy demolition work . If I need that nail nick I can always use the unmodified version end anyways.

Pictures to follow.

10. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Modified (sawed off) Stanley crow bar ( yellow/black with small length removed shown) vs. my original DascoPro, also sawed down, and with plastic dipped tips (don't bother, it wears away in first few uses) and nail nick regenerated in sawed off end. County Comm bar for comparison:

[​IMG]

Stanley is strongest and thickest (about 3.4mm):

[​IMG],

Close up of tip mods (I only own hand tools, namely a hack saw and cheap file, so please excuse the lack of professionalism):

[​IMG]

I advise not making the nail nick as I did on my original blue DascoPro mod (shown) after I sawed it down. It will be stronger by leaving it intact and you have a nail nick on the other end if you really need it anyways, as I mentioned.

Here's why I sawed it down in the first place, shown in my Maxpedition Pocket Organizer with safety caps (clear vinyl tubing) in place to protect my bag from the sharp edges vs. a County Comm bar on the left for comparison:

[​IMG]

I think I can do a lot more serious damage with my version than the County Comm one. :)

11. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

I only dipped the handle half of the bar, then wrapped it in paracord. The pry end is original, except it's wore down some from grinding the blue off of it.

12. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

Ah, yes, that makes sense.
    ---

If I owned a grinder, I would consider modifying the nail puller V area of the long end into a mini "biel tool", as I believe rescue people call them (for my use, at least), sort of like a P38 can opener on steroids:

[video=youtube;XqFdDfYc_s8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqFdDfYc_s8[/video]

Basically all you have to do it sharpen one side's inner edge and bring it to a force concentrating point (just like a can opener). This makes the pry bar an even more adept "forcible entry tool" for rescue situations.

13. Chili-Mac

Chili-Mac Loaded Pockets

great idea!

14. cj797

cj797 Loaded Pockets

Oh I am so doing that!!!

15. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

^ It does look like fun, doesn't it! Please post your results here once done. Note also the Firedude in the vid is putting the sharp edge inside the surface and cutting outward, not the other way around.

If you need better pictures of what the business end of the biel tool looks like, here are some.

16. cj797

cj797 Loaded Pockets

You may run into a few issues using the Biel tool end is that bar. 1 it's not long enough and you need some leverage to do some good damage. 2 the Paratech tool has an extension built in that allows you to slam it home and cut with the Biel end. And it's really no fun to operate. I know some truckies that swear by it, but I usually end up jamming the side of my hand in that tool as it slams shut. Personally I prefer just the angled "crowbar" type end on that tool pictured. But that could just be the pipeman in me coming out. :) I carry a claw hammer in my turnout pants and it has come in very very useful in the last 15 years. But I am becoming a fan of a tool that Stanley makes for demolition (sorry I can't remember the name) they have 2 sizes and a guy I work with carries the little one.

17. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

I'm going to guess you mean one of the Fubars , FatMax utility bars, or Exhumers.

I realize a little bar, akin to mine, isn't going to pierce holes in metal with a hard blow, but I do think it could be an effective "nibbler", just like a P38 can opener, once I've made a hole by some other means. Just small little nibbles at a time, maybe not as fast as a real biel tool, but I'll live. [note also the fireman nibbling does not have his biel tool extended, it is collapsed in its short form (assuming his is like the ParaTech and it telescopes)]

18. milox

milox Loaded Pockets

Excellent idea!

19. muskrat

muskrat Loaded Pockets

picked up one of the stanely's today. gonna see how it fits into my edc and see if it needs modification.

20. jl9389

jl9389 Empty Pockets

nice work