1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Modern Wound Dressings

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by bmstrong, Jun 13, 2016.

1. bmstrong

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

Starting to rethink/research the traditional gauze/dressings in my IFAK at the cusp of a possible post antibiotic era. I'd like to get smarter about what I carry and maximize the efficacy of each item I choose to carry. What other cutting edge dressings are out there?

2. EMT_Carry

EMT_Carry Empty Pockets

For compact bags the Olaes is great, you get a nice roll of gauze attached to it to pack into a wound before putting the dressing over it. Even in my larger bag that stays in my car there's a couple of Olaes/Blast bandages. But I have all 3 of the above as my main stay dressings, between the 3 of them you don't really need any other type of bandage in a trauma bag (I don't include haemostatic gauze in that statement btw, if you carry a CAT you should always have some haemostatic gauze too).

Obviously the 3 above don't really fit into a minor injury bag/boxes world, they're abit too large!

3. Timlugia

Timlugia Loaded Pockets

For EDC pocket kit, I think H&H mini dressing is great, it's significantly smaller packed than other dressings.

4. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

A link? Sure, you're welcome.

5. astrocreep96
    • In Omnia Paratus

astrocreep96 EDC Junkie

Gauze is fine in an acute setting, you're not influencing the future development of an infection one way or the other by using a silver impregnated dressing or any other antibiotic dressing.

Aquacell Ag in particular is a terrible dressing for an acute wound to prevent hemmhorage. Stick with 4x4, kerlix, or one of the newer hemostatic impregnated dressings (or some variant thereof).

6. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

I am very fond of the Oales dressing. Have been stocking in my Med bag/using it since 2010. I've used it in combat, car crashes and also a plane crash absolutely love them compared to what I've used in the past

chaosmagnet and EMT_Carry like this.
  7. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

Been away from this forum for a while, but this was a topic on another forum. Anyway, here is one I made comparing a view different types of combat dressings.

bmstrong likes this.
  8. bmstrong

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

9. bmstrong

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

10. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets