1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Modern Day Cowboy/girl

Discussion in 'Knives' started by JJK, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

Yep, thats why I had a Schrade for my beater blade...some $15+ and it was off to the races for probably a year haha

killroy360 likes this.
  2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Hold on, this is ranch work. The people that required heavy tools had and used them. Some went beyond the knife and moved up to heavier non-knife tools to do certain jobs but the places I have been a heavy knife was available, the truth is a thin blade was usually more useful. The Case knife was for smaller tasks that were actually more frequent, they were not for repairing or making fences.

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

The only part of Nebraska I have been in is the Eastern portion. :)

4. killroy360
    • In Omnia Paratus

killroy360 Loaded Pockets

Actually I work on a dairy farm which requires more prying and just all around beating. Dropping in Cow pies are quite frequent so I would never carry an expensive case.

5. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I'm from the northeastern part of the state but my in-laws have a farm near O'Neill which is just east of north-central Nebraska. The O'Neill area is flat as a pancake, but just a few miles west, the hills start to roll and the pines and cedars start to cover them.

ALL of Nebraska was EXTREMELY dry this summer. If you didn't irrigate, your crops pretty much burned up. Our renter's dry-land corn produced tiny ears with every other row missing and every other kernel of the rows that were there missing.

6. darth_guy101

darth_guy101 Loaded Pockets

I'm not much of an animal person, but my sister works with horses (mostly training and rehab) almost every day. She tells me that she likes her SAK the most. She carries a wenger evogrip 18. I know because I gave it to her. She says she uses the blade, the saw, and the drivers the most.

7. Talonanx

Talonanx Loaded Pockets

I'm 15 and I work with horses I wear cowboy boots and Wranglers and I carry a Buck 110 and a Leatherman Kick on my belt.

Grateful, Flying Dutchman and kd7dvd like this.
  8. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's my stomping ground.

I'm mobile, baby! :)

9. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

The drought we had this summer is affecting corn prices, which is good for farmers, but not so good for end users like ethanol producers and biorefinerys like the one I work for. We are still going to buy, but margins are tight. At least we have a varied amount of products produced that allows us to have a bad year in ethanol but a better year in other products.

It's funny to think that last year we were trying to survive a flood.

I'm mobile, baby! :)

10. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Yes, everything downstream from the dought-stricken crops will go up in price (even more than it already has). Of course, that doesn't help the farmers whose crops flooded out the last two years and died off due to the drought this year.

11. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

Most the ranchers I know in Texas carry trappers or sodbusters in a fitted leather or rawhide belt sheath. The sheaths are open at the top (knife protruding) and have no retention other than the snug fit. Moore Maker, Case, Boker and various customs I see the most. I might wear the same to a cattle auction but when I'm working on the ranch (not a full timer) I most commonly use a fixed blade knife and a SOG multitool on my belt so that I can access either one handed with or without gloves on. The SOG may not be my favorite multitool overall but the geared opening makes it hands down the easiest to deploy pliers I've ever used.

Moore Maker is a small family operation out of Matador, Tx (near Lubbock) and they have quite a following in the cattle business and not only in Texas. My wife's cousin raises horses in Wyoming and he carries a Moore Maker. They make fencing tools, dehorning tools and other working ranch tools in addition to knives. I see their products at feed stores and gun shows in my area but they sell direct too. I don't particularly care for the knives as they are mostly softer (56 Rockwell) carbon steel and I am a steel snob but I have used their fence pliers, post driver and dehorning tools and they are first rate.

12. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

My father, born in 1916, grew up on a farm in southwest Virginia. He also worked "off the farm" as a cowboy for a while but he said they called it "working cattle." He said farming paid better. But anyway, he always carried a pocket knife, which I now have (two different ones, actually). I don't carry them but they're very old fashioned but the blades are sharp as razors. They will rust overnight, just like the old Gillette Blue Blades. Even though he spent the last 30 years of his life living in the country, he never carried anything else.

I don't suppose any of that qualifies as "modern day."