1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Modern Day Cowboy/girl

Discussion in 'Knives' started by JJK, Oct 1, 2012.

1. JJK

JJK Loaded Pockets

Any modern day cowboys in the house...I mean ranch hands, farm hands, rodeo players, 4H gals etc....

What kind of blade does a modern day cowboy/girl prefer???

2. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

I don't know how many horse wranglers and herd herders are here but I am sure we got plenty of cowboys in the less literal, free spirit sense of the word. :cool:

3. PaulThePolymath

PaulThePolymath Loaded Pockets

I am hardly anything described in that post, but I would assume some sort of small-medium sized fixed blade would be the most useful around a ranch

4. CatfishTX

CatfishTX Loaded Pockets

Depends on your angle. There are lots of stockman knives with "horse specific blades" ( i am partial to case) I think any mid sized knife could be useful on a ranch

5. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

i´m not a cowboy but i could also imagine a multitool like the LM ST 300 2b of some use....

PaulThePolymath likes this.
  6. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Not sure about other makers but Gayle Bradley is a Texan and Ed Schempp is a Washington wheat farmer. Spyderco does collabs with both of them.

7. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

I was helping my grandpa ranch part-time a few years back, raising beef cows, dorper sheep, and goats. He bought the place after retiring from dairy life, he employed myself, brothers, and a few cousins to get it fixed up (fences, corrals, roads, animal treatment, etc) so he could maintain it in his retirement. Those were fun days :)

I usually wore Carhartt coveralls (because if you ever worked with sheep, you didn't want that smell on any of your clothes) and kept a Wave clipped in a lower pocket and a Schrade beater blade up in the bib pocket. Seems that those 2 took care of just about everything, aside from needing dedicated tools for certain jobs.

GRH likes this.
  8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I have known a ton of them. You are not going to like the answer but....it depends. Much has to do with the terrain, the quality of the soil, and what kind of a ranch it is. Things vary a lot. I can say on some of them the variety of work knives can be huge and they are for different purposes. The knives used in the shop will often be different than what is in the processing house will often be different than what you are carrying, will be different blah blah blah. On the other hand some ranches don't require that many. Ranches are not all the same and the conditions are different.

The world is also changing, some of the activities are no longer done in house. I suspect that Next day air is starting to affect things as well. A property closer to a metropolitan area will send someone into town to get something. Remote places would sometimes have a shop on the property fabricating some parts if needed quickly.

Fences were frequently made from material native to the property if remote and sometimes if not remote. That is no longer very common but repairs are still frequently done with native material until a permanent fix is done.

Some ranches did some agriculture that was not part of the revenue stream, others did not. My relatives and friends usually did but not always. That affects the tools used as well. It also affected things if there was also a cash crop and cattle on the same property. Even more so if there was a truck farm there as well.

A lot of the work was done close in, but there would be remote work as well. A ranch sold in Durant that had more than 100 miles of road on the property and 300 miles of fences.

Does the ranch do it's own tannery work? Some used to but I imagine that is vanishing.

I remember getting chastised for using my pocket knife when I was in the shop. "Why are you putting wear and tear on your pocket knife when we have better knives on the wall?"

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Oct 2, 2012
    GRH likes this.
  9. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Based on your description of a cowboy ... I grew up as one. (I would probably have used the term "farmer" rather than cowboy, though.) Usually had a pair of Cee Tee pliers on my right hip and a Case folder in my right-front pocket.

GRH likes this.
  10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

We did roundup, moved cattle to a rail head, on just one friends place cattle outnumbered the human population of the county. :)

11. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

We actually had quite a few at one time. I think there are only a few left.

12. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I was referring to the OP's description. I know that you Oklahoma boys would never think of us Nebraskans as cowboys. :p

13. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I like Nebraska, now the OU football fans didn't like Nebraska because of how often Nebraska dominated the big 8. :)

14. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Oh, I didn't say you didn't like us ... just that you'd probably call us "clod busters" or something similar, not cowboys. :D

15. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

:)

Our clod busters are going bust due to back to back bad summers :(

16. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I was actually going to give a history of my knife, and backpack usage but was going to do it via my life. This might not be modern by your standards as it starts in the 60's.

It will have ranch and farm life in it.

Here is the link.

http://edcforums.com/threads/my-story.100331/

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Oct 2, 2012
  17. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Good point, Jon. I've switched from a Case folder to a Benchmade Auto Presidio for modern day farm/ranch use. The Cee Tee's are still on my right hip, though.

18. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I see nothing wrong with a Case even though the spey blade is mostly obsolete for it's original purpose. What part of Nebraska are you in. I have long been curious about central Nebraska or slightly West of center. I know it looks different on a map.

19. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Talking about the sandhills area? It's fairly empty and dry(at least this summer)

20. killroy360
    • In Omnia Paratus

killroy360 Loaded Pockets

Weell i prefer a small fixed blade with a solid tang and a half serrated folder. BUT if you ask the old guys they have your standard SAKs and cattleman. the biggest thing is that it is relatively affordable because we thump on them and they wont survive longer then a year.