1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Modern Autos

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Red Horn, Sep 3, 2008.

1. rule303

rule303 Empty Pockets

To me the person behind the trigger is at least as important (within reason) as the actual weapon itself. I have seen plenty of people in IDPA matches with the latest tactical tupperware who didn't have a clue how to shoot get their clocks (and Glocks) cleaned by good old boys shooting unfashionable and completely unusable stuff like Rugers and various Tauri products. Hell, me and my "beat up from the feet up" P-85 have been one of those good old boys.

I will freely admit that I favor the XD over the Glock but I wouldn't be unhappy if all I had to use was a Glock. The chief thing that makes me prefer the XD is the grip safety (and to a lesser degree the loaded chamber indicator). Then again, I also get haired out by the thought of carrying my Colt Commander cocked and locked so I am probably too timid to be really tacticool.

Just think, if Plaxico had been carrying an XD tucked in his sweatpants then he might have a chance at collecting a pay check from the Giants again. Of course, the lack of a grip safety on P. Biddy's gat was far from the only problem with his EDC (Every Day Clumsy).

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I will agree with rule303 that the person behind the trigger is at least as important. I would take it a step further and say that as long at the person has a gun that works and modestly appropriate for the job I might say the person behind the trigger is far more important than what they might be using.

3. BeerGuy

BeerGuy Loaded Pockets

I like my chances with a 9mm because the reduced muzzle flip gets me back on target that much faster than a .357/.45/.40

I'd rather throw a hail of 9mm than struggle with a larger caliber.

Practice in real world situations trumps the size of the rounds you are carrying any day.

Practicing trigger control with snap caps in your livingroom will do you more good than firing 100 rounds nonchalantly at the range.

As for guns that might fit the original posters needs:

Look at the Walther PPS for a thinner weapon, or, my favorite is the Walther P99c-AS in 9mm. The interchangeable backstraps really make a difference for some people. Being comfortable with your weapon and having the ability to point it intuitively can really make a difference.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/markdoogue/P99c-AS-1.jpg[/img]

OR, you could really break with convention and carry a 9mm wheel gun......no stove pipes or FTF/FTE issues here. ;)

[img width=640 height=480]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/markdoogue/rgr-sp101-gd.jpg[/img]