1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Modern Autos

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Red Horn, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

It looks like I will be selling my gen I Glock 17 to a friends sister whom is a big city officer. She really wants a Glock and I can use a little cash. I am however curious about the currently available modern (poly) pistols. There will be a need (OK desire) to replace it early 09. The SA XD M looks like a well thought out piece. Unfortunately it seems to only be available in .40 which is probably a better round than 9mm, but I prefer the slightly lower cost and recoil of the 9. Basically I'm sorta looking for a industry up date (a little 101) on the current offerings. The main thing I look for is a slim grip frame because I have a small hand.

2. tdosthp

tdosthp Loaded Pockets

You could always replace the Gen 1 Glock with a newer Gen when you are ready to purchase. When you say that you are looking for a slim grip frame, I am assuming that the Glock was too big for you to begin with, because I would not consider the Glock's grip to be slim.

I am not impressed with the XD's. I have not found that they shoot any better than the Glock and I, personally, do not like the looks of them. For a plastic gun, with a smaller grip, I would suggest you check out the new Taurus 24/7. I have not shot one, but am really impressed with the feel of them. Also, check out the Smith & Wesson M&P line. They come with interchangeable backstraps to fit your hand. I have one in .45 cal and love it. It shoots great and I have not had a single problem out of it. The Walther P99 might also suit your needs...it also comes with replaceable backstraps. A friend has one and loves it. I also recently picked up an FNP40 and am absolutely in love with that gun. Grip feels great and it shoots like a dream.

Hope this helps.

E

3. flip

flip Empty Pockets

Go handle some Kahr pistols. They are well made and very slim.

4. c22m22c

c22m22c Loaded Pockets

HK USPc
    HK USP P30
    Bersa models
    Kahr
    Walther
    1911 (in 9mm models)

since "slim" is a subjective term, you'll have to handle some guns to know what works for you. Price may also eliminate some options. If the XD doesn't do it for you, the High Power probably won't either. I was surprised by how small the USP compact 9mm's grip was.

i think you need to handle a bunch of guns...lucky stiff. :)

5. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Grip was fine, just a little slick. I put a Hogue HandAll on and made it tackier, but that made it bigger as well.
    I may go Glock again.
    Prefer tool less take down.
    Like the lower bore a striker fire allows.
    Got a really nice Kimber .45 already :)

I do know I want an accessory rail.

6. Diesel

Diesel Loaded Pockets

Take a serious look at a Sig P250, it may be exactly what you are looking for.
    :luck:

7. c22m22c

c22m22c Loaded Pockets

nice break down redhorn.

i think you'll be hard pressed to find a modern auto without rails. So its cool that it's not a deal breaker.

taurus 24/7 is a good call too. Walther's as mentioned. Fn's models are options for you. FNP and sigma (i'm no fan of the sigma's).

i personally like hammers on pistols, so low bore guns aren't my forte.

good luck.

8. SheepDog556

SheepDog556 Empty Pockets

The Glock 19 is the best 9mm available IMO. Assuming it fits well in your hands.

9. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Very interesting. P250

10. Patrick T

Patrick T Empty Pockets

Another vote for the Taurus 24/7 and Millenium. I was very impressed when I shot a box through one.

Patrick

11. SheepDog556

SheepDog556 Empty Pockets

I found the trigger on the Taurus autos to be, umm, not good.

12. c22m22c

c22m22c Loaded Pockets

as a left handed shooter, i found most of the 24/7 line to be difficult to manipulate. The OSS variant being ambidextrous was ok. Didn't shoot one though.

as to the sig 250...i like the concept, but sig grips always seemed really large to me. I also found they sat very high in my hand. I think they are great guns, but i have my reservations.

i like kahr's because of their single stack goodness. I don't like the trigger pull being so heavy. But that's because i like single action...cocked and locked USP's, 1911's, and the like.

13. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

What's the difference other than ambi controls?

14. c22m22c

c22m22c Loaded Pockets

IIRC, the OSS model was taurus' attempt to market/field a pistol that could compete with other pistols in the military trials...AFTER the trials ended.

as such, it used the addition of ambi controls to both compete in those trials and distinguish itself from the millenium series.

the OSS model i handled had a 5in barrel, ambi thumb safety, and a very high capacity...i want to say 14 rounds .45, but i don't remember. It also had novak sights from the factory, on some models.

otherwise, the OSS and millenium were the same.

i read a number of reviews that weren't too friendly to the gun, and that sucked because the 24/7 OSS would have been an awesome tactical package...IMO.

15. red

red Empty Pockets

My vote goes for the Glock 19. The bore axis is lower than XD and the grips feel better. I found the S&W M&P and XD grips to feel a bit too slick.

16. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Glogk 19 is mighty attractive. Although I have found that the XD sub compact comes with a grip extension and is the only one of it's size with a accessory rail.

17. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

IMO, once you add grip extensions to a subcompact, you might as well go with the compact size from the get go.

18. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

How about a Kahr?

19. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

The extension is attractive to me for range and house duties. As a carry piece I would probably get a Kahr.

20. Elduke

Elduke Empty Pockets

Red Horn are you looking at striker only pistols? Have you tried the Beretta PX4 Storm? The pistol has adjustable backstraps, accessory rail and is chambered in 9mm, .40S&W and .45 ACP.