1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Moab 10 or Rush 12,24 or 72 decision

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by acemics, May 1, 2014.

1. acemics

acemics Loaded Pockets

I have been reading reviews and looking at you tube videos for a while and I still can't figure out out what is the best bag combination for me. I know this is a very personal preference type of decision, and what may work for one person may not work for another.

Currently I have the 5.11 Rush 12 with a 6x6 pouch on the front which contains FAK essentials which I put together and I also have the 5.11 water bottle carrier on the left side for my 40oz Klean Kanteen. I have been using this as a day pack when going out with the family for hikes or flea markets, day trips for shopping etc. Besides water and the FAK, I keep some essentials in there at all times such as a small flashlight (in addition to the one I normally carry on me), Leatherman Charge (in addition to the SAK Cadet and Esee Izula I carry on me), Field Notes notebook, pen, extra cell phone charger cord and Anker USB battery for charging my phone, bic lighter, maps depending on where we will be and sometimes my Nexus 7 tablet. I may also through in some sun tan lotion, hat, long sleeve shirt or rain jacket depending on where we are going or what we will be doing. Items may fluctuate a bit, but hopefully you get the idea.

The bag is great and I love it, but I have found it may be a little big for these types of ventures with the family and what I carry and I find I am typically loading it with their sweaters, jackets and stuff that they end up buying. I have tried to encourage them to bring their own bag to carry their stuff, but those of you with family's know how well that works. So I have been toying with the idea of carrying something smaller that will just fit my stuff.

I have been eyeing the Moab 10 for a while and actually ordered one from Amazon yesterday. After reading just about every review on the Internet I canceled my order last night and started second guessing if a sling type bag was really for me. It seems like a lot of people love the bag or they have tried it and it just didn't work for them. I know that the only way to know for sure is to probably just get it here and try it...I am just trying to avoid disappointment.

If that is the direction that I do go with the Moab 10, then I would probably give my Rush 12 to my 16yo daughter who has been eyeing it and pick up either a Rush 24 or the 72 for the times I need a larger pack.

Although I have never had a sling pack, I have had messenger style bags and never really cared for them I have always preferred a backpack and using the two straps. There are aspects of the sling bag that interest me though such as being able to have easier access to the contents without having to take the bag off like I do with the Rush 12. I am really torn so I am looking here for any input or guidance from others who may have been through a similar decision making process. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Whiteswoodworks

Whiteswoodworks Loaded Pockets

The moab 10 is not that much smaller than the rush 12, both are great for edc but I see the 10 for car bag/light carry and the 12 for extended carry. I love the theory of sling bags, I have owned the moab 6, 10, rush 12, Malaga and sitka. In practice the occasional heavy load, or carrying extra stuff is a deal breaker. All of the bags are near backpack size, even though I have always tried to have a bag that doesn't take up alot of room, the 12 is sooo close to the sling alternatives. If I was a photographer, river fisherman or any other type of scenario where I cannot put the bag down a sling would be perfect. If I'm going to carry a bag of that size, it's gonna have 2 straps. Bring a drawstring pack with you and offer it to your relatives. You will be an edc hero! You could also buy something cheap, light and large at the beginning of the flea market. Oops no room.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Wolfhound0023 likes this.
  3. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

I have the MOAB 6 and 10, and the RUSH 12 and 24, and am going to move the MOAB 10 on.

For me, as a heavy backpack user, the MOAB 10 makes too much of a load for a single strap. When I use it I find myself often using the carry handle.

However, the MOAB 6 I would wholeheartedly recommend for those outings where you don't want a full size bag. It is nicely mobile, and can be moved from back to front for easy access. I have a 5.11 folding drop pouch on mine for extra capacity if required. Being a smaller bag, you will carry less, so the weight will be more manageable. For any outing half a day or less, the MOAB 6 is my companion. For a full day trip, the RUSH 12 takes over, and the RUSH 24, for me becomes that larger bag for other trips, and as long as you pack it carefully can be aircraft cabin baggage friendly, so tends to be my travel backpack for longer trips.

4. tr4022

tr4022 Uber Prepared

Here's another take on your sitch: Having a bag you don't wanna load down too much, like the MOAB 10, is a great excuse not to carry their stuff. Add in the drawstring pack idea, and this could work out juuuuust fine for you. I'm in the same boat: two boys, six and eight, only Dad carries a bag to put stuff in. Sheesh.

Tod

5. acemics

acemics Loaded Pockets

Understanding that the Rush 12 and the Moab 10 will hold just about the same load, with the Moab 10 less weight to be able to carry comfortably, I guess it comes down to backpack style over sling style. I have read that the Moab 10 should be kept to 10-13lbs of gear to be comfortable. I suppose I should maybe weigh what I could usually carry on a day outing. I know that the 40oz of water in the klean kanteen is not going to be light. I also worry about how that weight will sit with the sling style.

I have never had such a hard time making such a silly decision really...ugh. I am leaning toward keeping the Rush 12 for the day pack at this point and getting either the 24 or 72 for longer type trips. Has anyone else had similar hesitation in going from a two strap backpack to the single strap sling style? Thank you for all of your feedback so far.

6. Modchop
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Modchop Loaded Pockets

I've been in a similar situation; I started out with a RUSH 72 and a MOAB 10. Both are great bags in their own right but I've since moved them both on. The R72 was ultimately too big for my needs so I swapped it for a 5.11 AHP. The MOAB was also a great bag with fantastic internal organisation but I just couldn't get along with the sling carry and sometimes found the main compartment a bit too small. I've since swapped the MOAB for a R12 which I find to be perfect for daily carry needs and short trips.

RoadWizard likes this.
  7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a Moab 10 and Rush 72 myself and as much as I like the 10 and try to love it,I can not really stand the whole Sling Bag thing!

What I can not understand though is why the Rush 12 and 24 don't have the CCW ability of thew Moab's?
    For me,even though I hate slinging the Moab I got it for the CCW spot. If the Rush had that feature and added it with what they have already they would be tough to beat to me.

The 72 is so much bigger it does not really fit into this conversation at all but I really like mine and have it set up as a 72 hour bag along with a Camelback BFM set up the same,2 different vehicles.
    I love both bags for this use.

zenpunk likes this.
  8. Whiteswoodworks

I agree, the backpacks need a concealed carry configuration.

9. Cthulhux

Cthulhux Loaded Pockets

I was having a tough time deciding on which bag as well and I really liked the idea of the Rush 10. I ended up getting it and I'm happy I did. The bag has overall been the perfect size for day hikes/trips. I've taken 8-13 miles hikes with it and no issues. And the whole point of the sling bag, to be able to access it without having to take it off each time is fantastic. But nothing is perfect so I'll point out some of the nuances and issues I have.

-One strange thing I see is that most pics of people wearing the bag have the phone holder at their shoulder blade. For me this is way too loose so I have it tight enough that the phone holder is right over my shoulder.

-It did take some time for me to find a sweet spot for the shoulder pad but I did find it. I not assume that you will automatically be accustomed to a sling pack. But it's like anything else where you just need to get used to it. I use to fidget when I first had it but don't anymore. And the point of it is for easy access so I'm periodically swinging it around while walking anyway.

-It is not 100% secure. I bent at the hips to pick up something and it swung around like a backpack you only have slung on one shoulder. (Though not as bad). I doubt this would be great for jogging.

-I generally don't have soreness from the single strap. I did have a grueling hike in the city one time and my shoulder was killing me at the end of the day. But one big point of this bag (for me) is that it is ambidextrous. I switched to the other side the next day. Problem solved. I can't tell you how much weight I ever put in it. But I do fill it up. It is a mix between heavy & light. I sometimes carry 2 liters of water (one in the 511 H2O carrier) among other items.

-The small compartment flat pockets and the middle velcro compartment can be tight if the bag full. I usually use the middle compartment for maps or other papers.

-One thing I didn't appreciate until I used it was how easy it is to take off and re-mount with the single strap and the clip. It's much simpler and quicker that a 2 strap backpack.

So overall, I think the Rush 10 works great for me. Hopefully this helps you make a good decision. The advantages of the sling pack speak for themselves. And 511 has great features like the main compartment pocket setups as well as the ambidextrous ability.

Good Luck

Last edited by Cthulhux, May 1, 2014
  10. Chris97

Chris97 Loaded Pockets

I think the logical answer is a Rush 24. Your experience sounds similar to mine. Sling bags have their place I suppose, it's just not on my shoulder. Been there and done that. From what you have described, I think you will find the Rush 24 will be just about perfect for your needs.
    I'll just leave this here.....
    [​IMG]

RoadWizard likes this.
  11. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Buy a Rush 12 for your daughter which serves two purposes: 1. It'll make her happy. 2. If she likes it so much then she'll want to carry it and thus she can carry her own stuff so you don't have to. Then while you're at it, pick yourself up a Rush 72 for a bigger option for yourself. Their sale goes until midnight tonight so you can save a little coin while you're at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Myrddraal likes this.
  12. Ike582

Ike582 Loaded Pockets

I've owned the Moab 6, Moab 10, Rush 12 and Rush 24. I've sold the Moab 6, couldn't stand it as it slides all over my shoulder and has no balance.

I absolutely love the Moab 10 as a daily carry bag. It's got my essentials: phone, iPad, small electronics kit, pens, water bottle, gum, wallet, light jacket, etc. It's perfect for that use. The bag is ambidextrous as the prior post noted, and can be used for either left side or right side carry (the strap clips onto either the lower left or right corner.) I often carry mine over the left shoulder (i.e., "high school backpack style"), instead of slung across the back. Unlike other sling bags I've tried, this one feels great and doesn't slide around. One of my favorite things about the Moab 10 is that it's slim, not as wide as most backpacks, which makes it a bit less bulky than a backpack when carting it around all day. By the way, the new "Storm Grey" color is awesome.

The Rush 12 is a fantastic pack, but slightly too big for my daily dragging around need. Given that it has been sitting unused in the closet, my son has recently claimed it off waivers it for school purposes.

The Rush 24 is my weekend/travel pack. It's a pack mule, can carry a ton, and just squeaks under an airplane seat. It's a keeper for sure. The vertical side pockets on the 24 are an awesome feature.

Best of luck in your decision.

13. acemics

acemics Loaded Pockets

I think I may be leaning back toward trying the moab 10. I don't really see another way around making a decision other than giving it a shot. I will keep the rush 12 until I see if the 10 will work for me. If it doesn't then I can just sell it. If it does ten I can give my daughter the rush 12 and I can get the rush 24 for larger loads. I really appreciate everyone's input!

14. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

So, I actually have a thread around here somewhere about how I don't understand backpacks...probably because I carry a lot less than a lot of you. But I understand slings even less. They ride high like backpacks or (actually for bike messenger) messenger bags but don't seem to have straps that adjust well or quickly enough to really get into them while standing or walking.

I'm not sure how big everything you carry is, but it doesn't seem much different from my stuff (except that I can't really stand having anything in my pockets). Except for the clothes, that seems like the kind of stuff that bags like the 5.11 push pack and the maxped versapacks were designed for. I have a push pack, and I don't like it....but it's 90% because I think it's ugly and 10% because it doesn't have the kind of pocket-replacement functionality that I look for. I could make it work, and I've seriously considered it just for the integral water bottle pockets.

If you want something smaller that's still likely to fit most of your stuff (clothes aside) and aren't going to be going to it for things normal people carry in their pockets (phone, wallet, keys, 1st choice knife) then I think they're worth a look.

sent from a device without a real keyboard...sorry if something doesn't make sense.

15. Chopper

Chopper Loaded Pockets

Hi, I own and use all of the 5.11 packs you mention and have reviewed them all.

You can find the reviews here on my channel if you think they may help: https://www.youtube.com/user/MilKitReviews

Any questions feel free to ask.

16. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 Loaded Pockets

Don't be fooled by the size because the MOAB10 can haul a ton of stuff.

zenpunk likes this.
  17. Whiteswoodworks

Nice to see you here, I've watched alot of your reviews, good work.

-Stay classy

18. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

This is the only reason to go sling. I have railed against the use of sling bags many times if high weight or long distances are going to be factors. For a lengthy rant and a look at my own hypocrisy, see this thread.

As for the Rush 72, I own one that I never use. The bag is far too big for the wimpy hip belt and suspension. I personally think that once you get into bags of that size, something from a outdoor pack manufacturer is the way to go. They have the real expertise that always seems lacking from the tacticool bag guys.

I also think that it has way too much organization. Some is great, but the 72, like a lot of tacticool bags is past the point of diminishing returns imnsho.

If you want a bag that still has a mild tacticool look, I'd suggest that you perhaps look into the MAP 3500 that is produced for Amron by Kelty. All the stealthy earth tones and camo without all the superficial flash of too much PALS. We have three of them here that see heavy use and are still going strong years into their service.

zenpunk and RoadWizard like this.
  19. just_in_case

just_in_case Empty Pockets

20. Chopper

Chopper Loaded Pockets

Have you thought about the TRIAB 18 ?

ghostyjack likes this.