1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

MK7 DESIGNS/PocketToolX - PIRANHA

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by attorneyadrian, Nov 30, 2009.

1. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

The second Gen Piranhas will be up as soon as the pictures are updated on the website.

I was told sometime this spring for the second gen Piranha's.

I know Atwoods were featured in some sort of review website or magazine. I'll have to dig deeper.

2. DemskeetSkeet

I beg to differ: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2007/08/atwoods-awesome/

3. bigfatton

bigfatton Loaded Pockets

That's a blog though, it isn't the printed wired magazine, they're more free to do that on the web, but in print...I just don't see it happening. MAKE magazine's blog did an interview with Peter too, I posted it somewhere, it's pretty interesting

4. DemskeetSkeet

Oh okay! Actually paper magazine coverage. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Peter's stuff doesn't need that kind of coverage because it would make my life harder to get them.

5. bigfatton

bigfatton Loaded Pockets

haha. no kidding, we need LESS people knowing about him, so maybe I can actually get a hold of one

6. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Got the Pirhana today that I ordered three days ago: quick shipping, careful packing, and then I took it out of the package: great tool. Within minutes I was using it on my bike. It's sturdy, well-engineered, and at $49 just cheap enough that I'll actually continue to use it (instead of worrying about dinging it up). Yes, the screwdriver bits are difficult to get out; but they won't come out on their own, either. Good going, MK 7 Designs!

7. DemskeetSkeet

I put up a review on the entire tool and an easy way to retrieve the bit/put the bit back in. Just use the search function with MK7 Designs, my username, etc. Should pop up.

I ordered a Brewzer and will post some pictures when it gets in.

8. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Thanks, DemskeetSkeet -- I'll check it out -- so far, I'm still impressed with the Piranha.

9. unloved

unloved Empty Pockets

Got a shipping notification email for my Brewzer last night.

10. SnWnMe

SnWnMe Loaded Pockets

I don't get the bike tool. Modern bicycles use mainly allen headed bolts in 4, 5 and 6 mm.

11. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

It is lacking the 4mm but it does come with the 5 and 6mm allen.

12. retrosurfer

retrosurfer Loaded Pockets

Nice looking line of tools the Brewzer is on backorder (guess beer is more popular than bikes) the rest all were delivered and like the original they look well made. the Bike tool and the spoke tool look good just what I was hoping for since I'm stuck in a wheelchair 70% of the time. This small set of tools look like they will do most of the repairs needed while out in the world. I used to use a Atwood bike tool but it was stolen by some lowlife at the airport six or seven months back and even though I have been looking everywhere I could not find a replacement hopefully these will work

the piranha shown in the picture is the original I included it to compare size and finish

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. lonewolfranger

lonewolfranger Loaded Pockets

I have a brewzer and a pirahna on order (patiently waiting)......I have been on Atwood's site and admire his craftsmanship as well. I even ordered a couple of beads from him to put on the pulls of my Unikit. However, I chose MK7 Designs for the fact it's a cool design, practical, 154CM steel...good stuff for me, (I carry Emerson blades) and these won't break the bank if lost. As far as the function..I am sure they will work as intended. These fellows are just simply putting their ideas on the market of pocket tools they feel will make some of our lives a little easier. Not ANY different than the hundreds of knife manufacturers out there, yet we all buy what works for us. We are all intrigued by new designs and I believe anyone with the capability to make and or improve on any existing product has every right to do so with the expectation that the criticism will soon follow. I believe that everyone has the freedom of opinion...as long as it's used constructively. By the way, can't wait to get mine!!

14. mk7designs

mk7designs Empty Pockets

FYI: A T25 Torx is roughly the same size as 4mm and can be used on 4mm allen sockets, that's why we chose to include that instead of a 4mm. :)

15. Expe

Expe Empty Pockets

Another point of view regarding choosing one manufacturer over another.
    A while ago I felt the uncontrollable need to purchase an Atwood tool, I love the design, quality and materials he uses. As I work and live in Europe a metric wrench was a must have feature. I think just at this time the metric Atwrench had just come out. I had a quick look at the specs prior to ordering and to my surprise most of the wrench sizes 5,7,9,11,13 and 15mm were not standard metric nut and bolt sizes, i.e. 5.5, 7, 8, 10, 13 and 17. So I emailed Mr Atwood asking why he chose those specific sizes as I knew 15mm is a common bicycle size and was uncertain about the others. I received a very nice and prompt reply that the metric sizes were based on equal 2mm steps for aesthetic reasons. As a product designer myself I certainly understand these types of compromise. However for a tool I prefer function over form and hence my choice was to order a Piranha.

16. DemskeetSkeet

Sounds like you'll be enjoying your Piranha for a long time. I've had mine for a while now and carry it with me everyday. I also have a Molle attachment pouch coming for my piranha to attach to my Falcon II backpack!

I'll post pictures and such on the product when it gets here!!

17. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

I have never been a huge fan of pocket tools, the interest was never there... Then piranha came a long and it looked like nice tool for the money... It now rides in my pocket 24/7...

18. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

same thing happened to me,,i cant even believe how many times each day i use this tool..and how i managed without one

19. copperhead

copperhead Empty Pockets

I love the cooll little pocket tools going to have to get some tomany toys to little cash!

20. RJNC

RJNC Loaded Pockets

I really like their stuff, great quality for the price.