1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Misinformation by big name companies

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Evil D, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I really hope they last. There are older companies who have stuck with their ways and still manage to stay in business (Case). In a way it would really be a shame to see them take a step too far into "modern ways" for fear of them losing their identity, but their marketing department really needs some work.

Off topic, I'd really love to see them use a carbon steel (just so long as they don't call it the best steel available LOL).

adnj likes this.
  2. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

While I can see your point about them being behind the times in steel selection possibilities, I have to disagree with you on their sharpening comment. It states simply that it is difficult to sharpen yourself, not that you can't sharpen it yourself. As far as the sharpening fee, consider this, they manufacture multiple bladed knives as well as single bladed knives, and they are one of the largest manufacturers of knives. I would bet that they sell as many multi-bladed knives as single blade, so sharpening 2,3,4 blades has to cost them more, and the fee does include return shipping.

As to the wording on the S30V, I do agree they could state that it is one of the best, not that it is the best.

As I read over my own response to you, one other thing occurred to me, they also have some of the most reasonably priced knives out there, I guess if they decided to make them more expensive, they could easily offer free sharpening services.

Adahn likes this.
  3. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have read that:
    1. You apparently don't have a problem with what they said and not necessarily even a problem with what was said.
    2. You apparently believe that the company has a reputation that can and will sway the masses.

3. In your opinion, the company should advance their behavior to a more modern paradigm.

My point is simply this: we are talking about an example of a company that has tried to do well in these times of global Commerce and may not be as successful as necessary to survive (just as CanvasNBrass said earlier). They may be struggling. They don't represent the best that the industry has to offer and it hurts to see a longtime favorite about to take a dive but that may just be the case here.

What they're saying isn't wrong but it just doesn't feel right. I'm not irritated by what was said or how it was said. I'm saddened that once again we may be seeing a remake of "Old Yeller." Another good friend that is about to be put down. Another memory lost.

Not irritated but sad.

4. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Let's not forget that Canal Street Cutlery is now closed forever as of basically the end of last November. So the closure of American Knife Companies is still happening. Which is sad. I think the company in question is doing their best. Some of their products are made overseas. Which in and of itself isn't a bad thing, really. I think the thing here is that an American Made Knife Company is now an "idea" that's surpassed perhaps what it ever was. A romantic notion of sorts and when a company strays from that idea or ideal it's just weird. I'll admit I'm not immune to it.

But, yep...this company may need to be modernize. A lot of their more modern models remind me of another knife company which starts with a G that slowly...but surely....just destroyed itself with strange models and mass overseas production.

adnj likes this.
  5. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I love S30V. I like S35VN with a good treatment just a little bit more since it's got that extra bit of toughness over S30V. I have played with "Super Steels" and most of them don't impress me. A super high hardness, highly wear resistant steel is not what I want. I don't hate M390/20CV but I'll generally opt for an easier steel to resharpen at the expense of some wear resistance. S30V and S35VN are VERY nicely balanced steels for a folding knife or small fixed blade in my mind. It seems that a good sized chunk of knife enthusiasts just want the longest lasting edge possible and don't care if they're sacrificing toughness or corrosion resistance in the process. I'm not among that group. I want something that holds an edge well, but I also want something that won't chip out or rust too easily. That makes M390 and 20CV the highest wear resistance steels I'll really consider at this time because they're proving not to chip out too easily and are stainless. Otherwise, most of what I carry is in S30V, S35VN, and the tried and true stuff like 154CM.

Just my preferences of course.

Adahn likes this.
  6. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

You should try S110V. I've found it isn't nearly as chip prone as people like to make out, and if you just have decent sharpening stones (silicon carbide) then it's no more difficult to keep sharp than anything else. I maintain mine on a Sharpmaker with no problems at all, and if chips happen I fix them on my Edge Pro.

I was able to turn this..
    [​IMG]

Into this..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With this..
    [​IMG]

And I didn't experience any significant chipping that wasn't easy to hone out, and it was still sharp enough to slice printer paper when I was done. That's ridiculously impressive to me. Most of the branches were around 2 inches thick.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, I still wouldn't say S110V is the best blade steel available, but it does have excellent wear resistance, plenty of toughness in my experience, and excellent corrosion resistance. It's not a steel I would chop/baton/pry with, but for just about everything else it's hard to beat.

Adahn likes this.
  7. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

Wild exaggerations don't make your claim more valid.

Granted, there is a gross difference between round and flat, there is even scientific evidence to disprove such a claim.... the difference between one blade steel and another is not nearly as large... and I imagine there as many opinions about which steel is best as there are steels... otherwise why would someone offer it at all?

It still comes down to their opinion vs your opinion and neither is right or wrong, they're just opinions... but you aren't getting that, so... enjoy your day.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  8. Donut
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Donut Loaded Pockets

If they don't tell you what properties they are making their claim from, they could consider any steel to be the best.

White steel is one of the best steels when you're looking for something with NO corrosion resistance. :)

9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

That's the way it should be. See my earlier post.

10. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

In all honesty, I'm sure I'm over reacting over this. This is why you vent on forums lol. It does irritate me, but as some mentioned maybe they are struggling and they're just doing what they can to get sales. I still don't like it, but I would hate to see such a huge name go under. I still don't know if I'll buy one...not just because of this issue, there's a reason I haven't carried one in so many years. Lately I've been buying more basic/affordable knives and really enjoying them. I've bought a Svord Peasant, an Opinel, and a Higonokami, it just made sense to go back to one of the first knives I ever carried. I really wish they'd use a carbon steel again like 1095.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The economy is still rough. Merchants are doing all they can to stay solvent. If resorting to clever advertising is what it takes to do so, without violating laws, they will. It is better than having another individual on the unemployment line and their families clamoring for food stamps. React by not making the purchase from them. You're one of the few that know about blades steel; however, for every one of you, there are likely 200 others that don't.

You're overreacting. That's fine to do on an internet forum rather than at the poor merchant trying to feed his wife and kids by advertising in some insipid way that you feel is below your level of comprehension of the minutia of finer blades steels. Just remember that if that merchant wasn't making a living doing what he does, he might just be brandishing one of those "absolute best blade steel" knives trying to get your hard-earned money that way.

12. Spartigus

Spartigus Loaded Pockets

Ll
    Fĺfĺgdďśff5

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

13. Spartigus

Spartigus Loaded Pockets

0ĺ000ĺ

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

14. Spartigus

Spartigus Loaded Pockets

Ĺĺ0