1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ministry of Truth - EDC, gear, mods & musings

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by MinistryOfTruth, Jul 9, 2014.

1. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

Thanks man, it really is!
    Entropy has nothing on it, excellent work and design.

Nick4305 likes this.
  2. ItJustDiz

ItJustDiz Loaded Pockets

Just stumbled on your thread MinistryOfTruth and noticed this wallet, glad you found it after the misplacing! Can you give me a few details on the thing??

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  3. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sure thing my good man! It's a custom cardholder/wallet made by a member on here - the talented and ingenious cityofthesouth! Cant tell you the measurements but the design is very clever, one of the screws is offset and creates friction on the cards so they're held in place with that.
    It's not for back pocket carry, but rides well in front or in a jacket. Small hole with tubular insert stops the cards and opens up for wearing it on a chain, putting a bungy cord loop there and fold it over the top on the other side if you carry something in there that doesnt catch the screw inskde.

Now the bad news:
    He has discontinued them and moved on to other, awesome edc/survival/gear projects.
    You should see his early knife mods in his edc thread, he's got both eye and skill for it!

Last edited by MinistryOfTruth, May 25, 2016
  4. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

I have never known you have your own thread! Very nice gear and cat pics!

I love those tritium vials. I have a dozen of tritium as well but most of those have passed in the half-life, 12.32 years. They are not glow much.

I am an orange geek, so I love your orange one of course.:D

Nick4305 and MinistryOfTruth like this.
  5. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thank you so much for the like-bombing and love-bombing :hug:
    Happy you found it! My thread is your thread, feel right at home here.

I love the tritium and especially the orange vials, i knew you'd like that trit also :)
    I'm thinking of getting an orange Klean Kanteen, waiting for my local store to stock them. I think i have caught the orange fever without noticing but i just realized most of my favourite stuff has orange...

Here is an Orange Gear & Cat pic just for you ^^
    [​IMG]

wazu013, Nick4305 and Nekolf like this.
  6. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

Your cat needs a collar.:D
    [​IMG]

7. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

YES. That one!

Nick4305 and Nekolf like this.
  8. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yes!

Finally! Lil Lum is here! Been pining for a genuine Shilin Cutter for a good while now and in the meantime i'll settle for this little gem. Perfect size, fits together like clockwork, nice grind and aligntment. Light as a feather and incredible balance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My only wish is that the handle curve would swoop down a little deeper on the half that is close to the pivot, accentuate the curve a little more. For a tiny one like this it's just a matter of millimeters.
    Also one more millimeter for the lock cutout, it's a little tight to operate it smoothly but i suppose it'll smoothen with some use.

Edit - ok, one more thing i'd like to see on it is new scales, something with texure or pattern. It'd flip the whole balancing and make it heavier obviously, but with the right material and shaping it would be even slicker and lie better in hand.
    Loose the clip, add a little belly at just behind the middle point towards the lanyard hole.
    Jade lanyard bead maybe?

Last edited by MinistryOfTruth, Jun 10, 2016
    wazu013, Nekolf and Nick4305 like this.
  9. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Trying out a new keychain setup.
    [​IMG]

All individual parts are optional depending on need. Keysmart for house keys, stopped carrying my work keys everyday (separate ring) because is i loose one thne i loose both. Ansö biner/prytool looks cool and is useful, but having tried it out i'm not sure i'd buy it again. Inside info: the bottle-opener slot ought to be just a little bigger, tight as it is now it ends up in an awkward angle for lifting caps. Slightly wider would allow for a natural movement wich always delivers more power because it relies on physiological structure... digressing now, looks killer and is really secure when attached to stuff.

Keysmart is great! Less jingle, less accidental pokings. Shame they don't come in brass.

wazu013, Nekolf and Nick4305 like this.
  10. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

This happened also:

[​IMG]

Love it! Especially with the tail removed.

Nekolf and Nick4305 like this.
  11. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 grazie mille dei likes caro amico!

12. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

I don't have an Anso carabiner but that's a holy grail to me.:cool: TAD edition looks very cool.

13. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thanks for the lovebomb!

TAD version in bronze really sold me when i saw it and i got lucky they were in stock, it is cool and i feel i can trust it to stay in place and last about lifetime, the pry-wedge is perfect for most i've put it through. I might have sounded not happy about it in my previous post but that should also be balanced against the fact that i'm not at all willing to part from it, i have to be fair :)

Nick4305 and Nekolf like this.
  14. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

That sounds good. I'm sure you are happy to keep it.;)

Tad versions have been all sold out but Ansoknives still sells the carabiner in his website. Someday I want to buy that!

15. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Really? Idk if i was drunk when i saw them on his site but they were sold out and i noticed i had missed the one he made in brass so tad was my only hope :) maybe he made more, they're stocked now like you say, or maybe missing the brass carabiner made me so sad i couldn't understand the site properly :)

16. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

Yes, Ansoknives website still sells titanium carabiner V3. Brass one seems to be sold out. The carabiner looks pretty cool!:cool:

17. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

BOOM! Minister Truth is back online, hoping to find you all well and edkall (everyday kicking a"" livin large).

I'm still rolling with the same stuff as before more or less with some additions, conditions to photograph gear are excellent in the next few days. Hopefully i'll get some nice stuff to share itnf.

Confessional talk:
    I've misplaced the Lil Lum. I mean what is wrong with me?!
    Also: i recently noticed the orange trit on my torch was busted. I have no idea what happened, but that fob has a weakness. :/
    I'm also having a midlife crisis and have slid back into a version of my early twenties (very hiphop but way better taste nowadays) so i got plenty more pocket space and took up having a bag with me at all times.

aicolainen and Nick4305 like this.
  18. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Philosophical pondering:

At the beginning of discovering the EDC and preparedness mindset (moving away from lifestyles, i have my own identity and enough subcultural affiliations already) i was considering and envisioning an "Excrement Violently Impacting The Rotating Ventilator" type of event or future.

Honestly, that did not help except get me stuck in loops of anxious thinking about the stuff i couldnt prepare for. Or that it could happen any second. It hasn't yet so i decided to give my less obsessive side the upper hand.
    I've tried to adopt a mindset of curiosity, self-reliance and pragmatism overall. It's almost like a psychological pattern or coping strategy. I've even built enough inner capital (for lack of a better word and to avoid provoking new-age-rage by calling energy, even though that is what it is) to start dealing with previously unprocessed stuff in healthy ways.

My martial arts training and its mental training components (resting on the wellspring of Taoism, a very pragmatic and discovery oriented universe-perspective, it might not be obvious at first glance) call upon these things as well and agrees with what i've gathered from EDCers in general that for any extreme stress or crisis, wether physical or psychological, being prepared is to invest in survival and even thriving.

For me it has come to levitate towards an approach similar to a concept from Tai Chi/Chinese MA called "sung", basicslly meaning (afaik) a cultivated and practiced relaxed AND active way of being: energy and range of motion efficient posture and muscular baseline where self-knowledge, response, developing health, power and successful strategies relies on flexibility, healthy bloodflow and a quick mind operating from a core set of principles of interaction and engagement.
    They are both psychological and physical, in both contexts they resemble Newtonian mechanics of force and effect. I'm not advocating a warrior mindset, a cultural exception or an elevated state of being. It's the same principle as practicing your driving, running, aim, conversational skills or whatever. What is the point of having a mind to understand and a body to live with if i take it for granted and react to both as if they were strangers when things happen.
    I can pocket park my POS bucket in spaces my friends wouldnt dare because i learned to apply proprioception to encompass my car. Everybody does it, i just kept consciously at it after i got my license.

The danger here is obviously perfectionism, as it deviates a person from viewing their current capacity as something that might be explored and aims that same conscious mind to idealize standars of performance externally and then force their being in that direction.
    I digress, i'm probably already falling off the cliff from "useful pragmatic mindset" towards "hippy dippy bovine droppings". Pardon my franch.

Understanding the relationship between things is key, this also includes ones relationship and position with others (am i assertive or not, am i taller or shorter than, more or less experienced etc etc) and protection of self and others is a main goal. My interaction with a stick or a knife or a kettle and perhaps a third party follows the same basic principles as my interactions with people and animals.

So, i've found a small set of tools that i feel comfortable enlugh with to deal with anything more or less. I dont drag around all sorts of stuff and i dont believe in being able to handle a systemic collapse of societal standards alone, i believe in being resourceful at all times and dealing with adverse situations with a long-run perspective. Far from achieving a good-enough capacity in that area obviously, but i enjoy working with it and every failure is the starting point of success. Neither is permanent nor should they be.

So, for me EDC and preparedness has become like wearing clothes depending on weather and occasion, a mindset of functionality. In a bad situation where i have time to get to my stash i could be functionally grey while bugging out and staying on the move but i would like to see if that is necessary in the first place. Not to say that i trust strangers with my life anymore than most of us do, especially while going out in the streets, driving cars or chilling in a pub. But for an urban, decently civilized area and society with a minimal amount of easily used and disrespected weapons i think solution oriented individuals will try to cooperate and coexist. That is also a principle of nature. Living is an uncalculated risk and no zombie apocalypse is going to aggravate the risk of eventual death any further. I refuse to mask my anxiety towards mortality and incapacitation any longer, it messes with stuff i wanna do. Hanging out with Mrs. MoT, our friends, being bored and creative. (Yeah i know, i'm trying to convince myself more than anyone...)

I think there is a danger in believing that the worst will happen is what i'm trying to say. I have made my peace with a WCS but i want to remain flexible in the event that hostile conditions dont increase exponentially with every passing hour, at least not forever.
    Currents have cycles, panic has cycles, unrest comes in waves, what goes up comes down and vice versa. Life is going to suck at times, a streak of ten weeks with two good days i biscuits and gravy compared to a lot that is going on.

My biggest fear, besides ruining my everyday life with fear of death, turmoil and apocalypse, is to be so hell bent on a WCS that my own fervor to protect me and mine would be a force of detrimental power instead of safeguarding the lives of those that are dear and important to me and eachother...
    I want a society. Call me red but i want that society to benefit all in covingering certain basic needs and i'm convinced it's an overall gain even if some might take advantage. Better to invest enough resources to aid instead of diverting resources to keep tabs on those that might be in a position. I dont think it's a coincidence humanity has survived immense and sometimes self-inflicted devastation and still ends up having a large population coexist with headroom and beneficial friction, at least relatively speaking. Ok, i won the lottery being born where i was, duly noted.
    We're getting better at life, worldwide.

Maybe i'm naive and will "loose", but at this point in my life i cannot afford giving myself the excuse to be feral just because others might do the same. I want to be an agent of the situation i wish to live in, so these are thoughts pondering a strategy for it. Any thoughts are welcome but i'm not looking to argue any of it at present, observe well, take as is and discard what is useless.

Thanks for your time friends!
    MoT

#58 MinistryOfTruth, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    kottskrapa, Holliday and aicolainen like this.
  19. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Good to have you back!

20. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

Righto! Pics or it didn't happen:

I've been living out of this badboy a few days in a row here and there lately. It is The Backpack imo. Maybe i might save up and bleed out for an EDC in the future but Litespeed does the job.
    This is my no 2 go to bag. I have a system where i know how to kit it for 24h autonomy, like a GHB or a hobo-style packing for urban vagrancy, day hikes etc.

[​IMG]

Admin panel rides inside but if i need more space it goes on front like so:

[​IMG]

To keep idle hands from trespassing too easily (knock on wood):

[​IMG]

Inside Admin panel are meds (daily, basic painkillers and mudbutt stoppers), headphones for phone/tablet, lens cleaner, a couple of grimlocs and what you see here:

[​IMG]

I got a set of tier-straps in sandstone(?) i'm hoping willfunction and look decent. To not get caught without straps i keep this in the bag also:

[​IMG]

To lessen the load in my pockets and still have stuff accessible i sometimes put a S1 pouch (top down) on one strap to hold my phone and a BC4 pouch on the other for any small doodads or earphones.

Inner organization looks boring, it's just a control panel with pocket side outwards to either store laptop/similar or a water bladder. Attached with the velcro tabs, i tried doing the "hang it" thing but i dont recommend it unless you need both sides of the panel.
    If need be i'll switch it around and use the webbed side to hold stuff but i find it takes up space and if the pack is going to be 80% full then any fixed pouches will impede smooth use. If half or less empty fixing pouches is practical.

Last edited by MinistryOfTruth, Jun 5, 2017
    #60 MinistryOfTruth, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017