1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Minimalists; how do you carry?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by webley445, Mar 7, 2007.

1. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

:)

Most days, imagine: keys (for two cars, rack lock, house, Photon light on a Swiss LeHook), a wallet, and if I remember, my iPhone.

May get around to photographing them, but this is a minimalist thread, after all. ;D

2. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

Please pardon my ignorance, but how do you get through the day without a knife, or even not need a pair of scissors (just an example of two tools that can be found on a tiny Leatherman Micra or Victorinox Classic SD), on a day to day basis? I understand that each person has different needs based on his or her location, lifestyle, career and vocation, and nearby items, but the idea of going knifeless just perplexes me (and yes, I dislike going sans blade whenever I fly, simply because it's such a useful tool). I hope you don't construe this post as being argumentative or somesuch; it's not meant to be, I'm simply curious, is all. :)

3. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

Same here. I can't make it through a day without needing a knife and scissors. Pliers I can do without, screwdrivers are a must, but if I have to lose them for a day I can, but blade and scissors must be on me. I usually get all I need with just a SAK. Usually my supertinker, it may be replaced with the Explorer I just ordered. I can make it on just the SAK, wallet, keys, phone, streamlite microstream, and watch. If I will be around town and need to write, I toss in my fisher bullet and a small moleskine. that is minimalist to me, no back ups of any kind, and just the essentials.

4. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

Ah! You asked about minimalist <i>carry</i>; well, those three things are what I <i>carry</i>. Do I bring along an S30V knife, have multiple Leatherman tools, SureFire lights, a Hasselblad and three lenses (way heavier and bulkier than a 35mm SLR, and often requires a tripod) when necessary? Yes! Have a framing hammer, nail gun, compressor, power washer, pneumatic car jack, tire irons, torque wrenches? Yes!

Do I carry all of it EVERY DAY? Are you nuts?! :D

5. havz

havz Empty Pockets

Watch - 5.11 Freebie or Timex Expedition
    Wallet - very few cards and no cash (Wife doesn't give me an allowance ;) )
    Phone - LG EnV Touch
    Leek

Keys:
    Ring
    550 Lanyard with Skull Bead
    Gerber Artifact
    Gunsafe Key
    Truck Key

6. skullpin

skullpin Empty Pockets

I use a belt hanger and McGizmo clips.

[img width=431 height=640]http://www.kljworks.com/edc/keychain1.jpg[/img]

7. rioredgt

rioredgt Loaded Pockets

Here is my current setup.

Cheapo leather wallet from Walmart that holds cards, cash, Vic tweezers, eyeglass screwdriver and Vic Alox Classic.
    Wenger leather business card holder, that I use to carry my LG Envy and Zebra F301 compact pen.
    Spyderco Dragonfly.
    Case Logic Usb Drive holder that carries a Swiss+Tech 6-in-1 tool, LM Micra, 2 house keys and a Streamlight Nano.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. mrsean2k

mrsean2k Empty Pockets

Nicely thought out and nothing rattling about - I like it!

9. 1holegrouper

1holegrouper Loaded Pockets

One thing I did that saves space and weight is putting a Platypus rollup water bottle in my EDC bag and my Kleen Kanteen SS bottle now goes to my BOB bag (although I use it occasionally)

10. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I want to be able to have my most basic EDC available wherever I am, or whatever I am doing - so whether I am fully loaded with camera equipment and more for a day out in odd locations, meeting friends carrying a messenger bag for a few bits and pieces or carrying nothing beyond what fits in the pockets of whatever clothes I am wearing. So my basic EDC must fit into the pockets of a normal pair of trousers.

My basic EDC consists of a small paracord loop holding a Vic Cadet and Fenix LD01 on small clips.
    Plus a small wallet with Vic Rambler, Fisher Bullet Pen, Ti Whistle, spare AAA battery, spare key and a bead chain so I can wear the whistle (or anything else) around my neck if I want.
    The only other things I would normally be carrying would be my normal wallet, phone and mp3 player.

Those pieces can normally be distributed between various pockets without too much hassle - even wearing jeans or other less adequately pocketed trousers I can easily 'stack' a few items - the mp3 and EDC wallet are both thin enough that they can sit on top of each other in a normal sized pocket, and the knife/light can easily slip alongside a phone or other piece if needed. Ideally they all have their own pockets.

The way I work though is in a more modular fashion - if I am out for a longer period of time (and then carrying some form of bag) that means I can then carry things like a small FAK, better light or larger tool without worry, and if I know what I plan on doing I can obviously pack accordingly to make my life easier (with the knowledge that worst case what I am carrying will suffice) - so more lights if I am going out at night, a bigger knife if I am camping, or my DS or a book if I know I am going to be travelling or waiting around for any length of time.

11. handplane

handplane Empty Pockets

[img width=594 height=640]http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac72/handplane2010/edc/IMG_2288-1.jpg[/img]

front right- knife clipped to pocket, phone
    left front- keys
    back right- wallet, flashlight clipped to pocket
    back left- leatherman/battery pouch

I've found this set up to be pretty comfortable

12. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

where did you get the leather MT holder

13. handplane

handplane Empty Pockets

14. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Loaded Pockets

I keep trying to go minimalist........I really do. But then I see something on this forum that I really need. So for now: in LF pocket, key ring with small button compass, Eddie Bauer (Jacks Brother) multi tool, photon light, gerber shard and magnisium fire starter and small bic lighter. RF pocket, zt300 folder,(I love this knife), even if it's big for edc, and my Pak-lite. LR pocket, bandana and comb. RR pocket, wallet with P-38 and bandaids. Cellphone and glasses go in shirt pocket. I am a firm believer that you should always have access to light, heat and a blade. :idiot2:

15. krinkle

krinkle Empty Pockets

[img width=640 height=480]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4355892302_1963388c63_b.jpg[/img]

This was I carry 5 days a week on person. The knife changes often and is even sometimes replaced with a Leatherman Skeletool CX.

In the photo are in no particular order:
    iPhone
    Waterfield Leather Wallet
    Inka pen
    Photon Micro-Light II
    Photon REX
    Dave22 Ti Carabiner
    TAD Gear retracting gear keeper
    office keys
    car keys
    house keys
    550 cord lanyard (homemade)
    Spyderco Leafstorm w/WilkinsGRIP

On the weekend you can subtract the lanyard and everything attached to it. I also carry a Timbuk2 messenger bag on most work days, but it's not with all the time. It does contain a fair amount of 'stuff.'

16. ebsyesque

ebsyesque Empty Pockets

I really like the flashlight multi-tool holster where did you get it?

17. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

basic for me is:
    keys-4 keys, sog crosscut, p38, kershaw t-tool, 4sevens lanyard
    wallet-$, 4 aa bats, boo boo kit, id
    knfe-zt 302
    mt-sog powerassist
    light-4sevens quark aa2
    phone- lg enve 2
    pen- bic pilot

18. t0mcat

t0mcat Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I'm looking to replace my wallet with the JIMI wallet.
    If I really need to keep a low profile the Wave is replaced by a Micra

19. LupinIII

LupinIII Loaded Pockets

I'm still in school, so when I know I'm only going to be in class for the day, my EDC setup is limited to:

Nokia 5300 phone
    2 wallets - cash in my back pocket and cards in my front left pocket
    Fenix E20
    Knife of the day - currently a Spyderco Para Millie
    Ipod Touch
    Keys
    Cruzer 8GB USB drive

Compared to some of the setups I've seen here, this could be considered rather minimalist, but I have to say I don't feel comfortable without some of my other gear such as a FAK and multi-tool.

20. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

If I am not working, I like to keep it simple by having just a two layer SAK in my RFP, a medium MT on my R hip, my streamlight microstream in my LFP, Maxp Spartan wallet in RRP, and simple keyring.