1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Minimalistic backpack. . ?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by el_murdoque, Sep 21, 2021.

1. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

I've added a 13" Laptop to my EDC bag and doing so has changed my preferences.
    Currently I'm using a messenger style bag that has a capacity of 12-20l.
    The size is fine, but when I transport the laptop in there, the forces on the laptop are too high for my liking, because the laptop gets pushed against my body while the contents of the bag push from the other side.

What I want now is a backpack that will hold my 13" laptop, my EDC pouch, a rain jacket (the size of a fist) and my lunch. Less than 20l would be fine.
    A laptop compartment with padding, preferably accessible through an extra zipper, the main compartment plus one small one would be all I need.
    I'd like the style to be as minimalistic as possible. I have a very good backpack for hiking and such, so I don't need exceptional comfort with ventilated mesh and a load bearing frame and a belt around the hips and whatnot. Two shoulder straps are fine.
    Special points for water proof (or resistant) exterior.
    i want as little stuff as possible going on on the outside. No straps, loops and whatnots and as few zippers as possible.

Currently I'm looking at the Osprey Arcane Small, the Pacsafe Vibe 20 and the Freitag F306 Hazzard.

Any others I should look at?

2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mystery Ranch-Urban Assault. Dumb name as it's very plain.. I carry a 15 inch surface book. Tight fit but works.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Nick4305 likes this.
  3. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but so be it.
    Goruck GR-1
    It has a few molle attachment points, the pack would be better off without them, but they are still very inconspicuous. Believe me, I'm the least tactical dude on the block, and I have no issues carrying this pack.

I used to be a backpack addict. Went through lots of packs from high dollar brands, but it all ended with this pack.
    It carries very well.
    It has minimal, but just enough organization. I prefer this as it allows me to occasionally carry larger items and take full advantage of its capacity.
    Separate laptop compartment, that's kind of hidden as well. Adds a slight degree of safety.
    Bulletproof. Maybe not, but very solid. I bought mine used from @Journo on this forum in the spring of 2018, and even he was the second or third owner. Still as good as new.

Caveats: AFAIK it's no longer, or at least no longer only, made in the US. I'm not sure if that has affected quality at all.
    As this pack ended the chase for me, I'm no longer up to speed with the competition. That doesn't take away from the GR-1's merits, but could mean there are now better bags or at least better deals to be found.

Edit: my organization anno last year (still the same, but with the additions mentioned in the post):
    https://www.edcforums.com/threads/aicolainens-edc-and-more.136828/#post-2718579

chaosmagnet, Badillac and Journo like this.
  4. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Heya! Glad you are still using it and enjoying it! I actually ended up buying another GR1 which is firmly in the rotation. Also for me the TAD Axiom 24 makes a regular appearance in the rotation, and my Filson Journeyman which is the world's least tactical backpack...

5. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

If you already have the freitag in mind and like their ”thing”, I don’t think you have to look further. Freitag is a little bit special but it is the coolest backpack you can get. I have visited their flagship store in Zurich and since then I’m sold. I have their Bonanza model and I love it (it is much more basic then their Hazzard though). Out of my 20+ backpacks the freitag is one of my favorits, maybe not the most functional but it is the coolest…

el_murdoque likes this.
  6. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Hey! Good to see you posting, I wasn't sure you were still around on the forum.
    This pack was just made for me.and my use, of course everyone have their own preferences and needs, but I'm not entirely surprised you ended up getting another :)

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Tom Bihn Synapse is this pack too.
    Could not be less conspicuous I think and holds a ton if you need to and anything less just as well.

8. Rathbone

Rathbone Loaded Pockets

I'll chime in too with Victorinox. I've used one every work day for the last 8 years and it has been amazing. Zero wear anywhere and has put up with all kinds of treatment. Yes it's got a few straps but nothing too "tactical".

9. el_murdoque

I think I will have to do just that. My messenger bag is a Freitag. I bought that around 2003 and it has been with me more often than not. I've tried using other bags, they lasted 1-2 days until I packed my stuff back into the Freitag.
    After close to two decades of heavy use, it's still holding up great.
    My only issues are that
    A) I don't want to transport a laptop among other things in a bag where uneven pressure is applied to the laptop due to the position where it rests against my body
    and B) when I have the laptop, mouse and charger on my with my usual EDC stuff, it's getting uncomfortable if I carry it too long.

I do have a very good backpack with 24+6L volume which has all the bells and whistles (raincover, ventilated back, super comfy strap system etc) that I can comfortably carry the whole day if I have to, but I don't want to use that one in an urban, day to day routine because it looks like a trekking bag.

10. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

Nick4305 and el_murdoque like this.
  11. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

My favorite city slicker laptop backpack is my Piquadro.
    Not to large, good organisation, made in calfs leather to last a lifetime
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Heywood Floyd and Nick4305 like this.
  12. el_murdoque

This looks like a super nice product. The size is sweet. It has everything I like and nothing on top.
    However, I'm in Europe and that makes ordering a bit complicated. I have a Freitag bag on the way and will check out if that is an instant love affair.
    If not, I'll consider odering the 24HR backpack.

Soulriot and Nick4305 like this.
  13. el_murdoque

...the Freitag arrived on a Friday. I moved my things inside and could not be happier.

steeps likes this.
  14. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Which Freitag did you get?
    Is it possible to get them in the USA?
    Could you please post pics of your load out?

15. Badillac

Badillac Loaded Pockets

I also agree with the GR1. I also went through a bunch of bags and ended going back to a GR1. Great bag, amazing quality.

echo victor and Nick4305 like this.
  16. el_murdoque

It's a Freitag F306 Hazzard.

[​IMG]

I have a Freitag Flagship store not too far off, but I ordered this one through their website, directly from Switzerland. They do international shipping, but when you set the site do US $, you tip over backwards. I have no clue as to why, but they get quite pricey.

To anyone not familiar with Freitag, a short word on them:
    Their bags are made from a minimum of new parts (buckles, zippers etc), the rest is composed of recycling material.
    They use old Truck tarpaulin as their main material. The belts/straps are recycled safety belts and the black linings that are on their messenger bags are tubes from bicycle tires.
    The tarpaulin has had a thorough cleaning, but this stuff has had like a million miles on the road before, so the elements have beaten it into a unique look. Every bag is handmade and every bag is unique, no two are alike.
    I've bought my first Freitag bag about seventeen years back and it has been my main EDC bag ever since. It has seen use and abuse, been my study bag when I went to university and became my work bag afterwards.
    In the last decade, it has seen near daily use. It has some signs of wear to show its age, but it's still good for another decade.

These bags are special, and they are pricey, but they basically last forever - so paying what three bags will cost you for one that'll last as long as five might still be fair - when you consider that it's a hand made one of a kind.

My EDC loadout might be subject to change since I now have a bit more room than I had before and the weight is distributed better so I could easily carry a bit more. I'll probably post about this when I've settled on a loadout.

17. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

That is a really cool looking bag. Nice choice!