1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Minimalist Wallet - Show 'em!

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by kapolani, Apr 2, 2013.

1. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

I front pocket carry a Flipside in hi-viz orange to prevent leaving it behind anywhere. I only take out my wallet when absolutely necessary (paying with cash, showing ID) and try to use Apple Pay on my iPhone 7 or Apple Watch whenever possible...

[​IMG]

Wesmanthetiger and Tony Sal like this.
  2. moshaz2k

moshaz2k Empty Pockets

I-CLIP![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem Moto G (4) mit Tapatalk

Tony Sal likes this.
  3. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

Love the Flipside. Not really as minimalist as it is functional, but I'm never going back to a regular wallet!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4. RGRAY

RGRAY Loaded Pockets

5. rbhale32

rbhale32 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ive had this Saddleback minimalist wallet for about 7-8 years, and lost it 4 years ago. It was found by a city worker cutting grass on the side of the road. It had been lying where I lost it for a whole year!!! I was a police officer at the time, and remember losing it on the side of the road in the same area where it was found. It's held up perfectly And just looks better the more I use/lose it.

Last edited by rbhale32, Apr 25, 2017
    #585 rbhale32, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  6. rkazooti

rkazooti Loaded Pockets

About as minimalist as it gets. I do have my old credential case in the truck with my d.l., carry permits and a debit card. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiaOlleDog, Tony Sal and DDG.2 like this.
  7. RGRAY

RGRAY Loaded Pockets

8. tirod

tirod Loaded Pockets

I've carried a wallet for over 44 years or more. Things I've found that don't work:

Stitching - unless done absolutely top quality, it eventually gives way. Leathers handle it better, fabrics not so much. Having stitched edges also means making that side wider than needed, which means it's not the absolute minimal shape. Fabrics also tend to have banding which gets double stitched making it even bigger. On the other hand - those wide edges tend to smooth the outline for comfort, just like a pocket holster buffers the sharp outline of a pistol's shape.

Fabric, and most notoriously, cheap nylon pack cloth. It picks up grit and debris which works its way into the threads trapping the sharper crystals and causing them to act like microscopic razor blades where it can flex. They disintegrate from the inside out, for the most part. Fire hose has that problem the first day it hits the ground and it contributes to it's eventual failure in service, just the same as rappeling or climbing rope. The one thing that can protect fabrics is to "enfuse" them with some kind of polymer, which keeps the dirt out (like leather) and also adds some water resistance. However, you can have too much of that, an older ID wallet mostly constructed of clear vinyl was a bear to dry out.

Pouches. Having closed in pockets is great for change - more later - but it keeps dirt and grit trapped with no outlet. Like an old slip joint knife with backspring, a wallet needs periodic cleaning, which we never do. So if it can be self cleaning, it's better. I can't count the number of CC's handed to me over the years which have been sanded down into uselessness before their time.

Alternate pockets - like for change, knives, etc. It's minimalist, right? That stuff goes somewhere else. Fine if you want, but I'm just laying out a vision that minimal means? Of course - the least possible combination of absolutely critical functions and no more.

Elastic, whether bands or cords. The major component is some kind of elastomeric polymer, and the purpose is to keep things held together under pressure. Well, the traditional bifold does that already - it's all trapped inside and can't get out. Elastic can be expedient but over time almost always fails and then we are right back at square one - the design itself should have kept the contents secure.

Picture windows. Every wallet I've owned except one - mentioned previously - never had ID windows big enough to actually see the data. And it also invites handing your entire contents, cards, money, etc to a stranger, another strike against it. If you have ID issues in your workplace then your wallet isn't your go to carrier, ID goes on a neck lanyard. Otherwise, for most of us, it's simply a rarely requested item and probably less accessed than your debit cards. It can go into the stack. You generally have to pull it out to see it with the horrible ID windows in wallets today, what's the difference?

Leather folding wallets were just the ticket in the day when most of us carried lots of paper money, and our licenses were, too. That's been a long long time ago - '50s era lifestyle. Pumping gas in the '70s I saw traveling salesmen come thru regularly with two dozen gas charge cards stacked on just one side of their wallets. That method was already outdated even then, as much as putting a brick under one side to sit on for another 4 hour drive - or the second half of your shift at work. We've moved to mostly plastic cards anyways, and with the advent of the major charge companies needing to carry a dozen or more is simply a lifestyle issue.

With all that in mind and having looked thru all the pages of this thread that we have already progressed to the next level of minimalist designs - no stitching, no elastic, no extraneous bungee or plastic windows. That progression has lead to Minimalist 2.0, and the most striking example of that would be the Trayvax Element. It might not appeal to everyone but it does encompass all the features that have superceded the old school wallets, while continuing to use the better materials and even adding functions we never had before.

At least, I'm trying to justify it that way so I can choke down the price. Having tried to copy good ideas before, tho, I can tell you, it's usually cheaper to just buy the finished product.

Looking forward to a happy Father's day.

FiaOlleDog, Tony Sal and jcombs like this.
  9. phantom357

phantom357 Loaded Pockets

Before:
    [​IMG]

Now:
    [​IMG]

Tony Sal likes this.
  10. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Is that the new Rubber Band Minimist their selling for 59.95? Lol

11. rkazooti

rkazooti Loaded Pockets

No, as luck would have it my Mailman had an extra for a lot less.

Tony Sal likes this.
  12. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I also like the Office Clip 2000, got a box full! Lol

Moshe ben David and rkazooti like this.
  13. semper paratus

semper paratus Empty Pockets

I couldn't find anything thin and soft enough so I made this in about 15 minutes from an old fedex bag. It ain't pretty but it lives in my pocket so who cares. Holds plenty of cash and 4 cards. If I need more that's what the Pygmy falcon is for. [​IMG][​IMG]

14. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I was in this same boat for a while. I'm made a couple of coffee bag wallets and some hand sewn tyvek ones. I loved them for their thinness but I ultimately wanted something higher quality that looked better.

I recently got a flowfold vanguard and man I love it. It is everything I ever wanted in a wallet. It is just about as thin as anything I made and so much better.

Tony Sal likes this.
  15. rbhale32

rbhale32 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My leather wallet gave me the idea to make a bunch of these. Not a new idea I know, just haven't thought to try these until recently. I'll use one of these as an alternative to my leather if I think the situation calls for it, or just out of boredom... they're roughly the same size so they're also perfect for front pocket carry....

#595 rbhale32, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Ethos likes this.
  16. isoarska

isoarska Loaded Pockets

My vote goes to Chums Surfshorts Wallet (upper photo)!

It has two zippered pockets and one open pocket for key etc. Surfshorts Wallet is not much of a looker but actually quite convenient. Zipper pockets are secure and wallet can accommodate ten cards easy, in addition to several bills and what not.

I used Wolyt Sleeve for awhile but was never very pleased with it. It has room for about five cards and too small compartment for a bill or two. Perhaps it was just too minimal for me.[​IMG][​IMG]

17. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

[QUOTE="tirod, post: 2631743, member: 11658"

... With all that in mind and having looked thru all the pages of this thread that we have already progressed to the next level of minimalist designs - no stitching, no elastic, no extraneous bungee or plastic windows. That progression has lead to Minimalist 2.0, and the most striking example of that would be the Trayvax Element. It might not appeal to everyone but it does encompass all the features that have superceded the old school wallets, while continuing to use the better materials and even adding functions we never had before.

At least, I'm trying to justify it that way so I can choke down the price. Having tried to copy good ideas before, tho, I can tell you, it's usually cheaper to just buy the finished product.

Looking forward to a happy Father's day.[/QUOTE]

What about the extraneous metal part that sticks out of the Element. Doesn't seem minimalist to me to have a bottle opener.

18. DavidLeoRose

DavidLeoRose Empty Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG]

This cardholder took about 2 years to really break in and it was a gift from my best man. I guess my old cardholder wasn't up to his standards.

19. tirod

tirod Loaded Pockets

Agreed - while as a design feature I find it the most attractive part - I will almost never use it. And the stainless frame enlarges the envelope of size making it less than minimal, which others have noted.

I kept looking around in thrift stores locally and ran across a card holder in leather, no brand, with a pocket on either side of the flap. ID window on the inside and leather on the outside. I keep the debit card in the outer for quick access and have the most used ID under the window - not the drivers license, which I put in the back to retrieve more easily. It fits and is working OK for now. Smallest wallet I've ever had and cost me $3.50. I just fold the money and put it behind the cards in the bigger pocket. It's still got a lot of room.

Trayvax makes nice stuff but when your looking for a wallet it came down to Rolex level vs Timex. I've rarely suffered for spending less as long as you keep in mind quality and provenance. Frankly the card holders I saw at the large 24 hour Box retailer looked shoddy in comparison.

20. BONSANCA

BONSANCA Empty Pockets

Fireti Omega (1gen) titanium wallet (monogram engraving - paint over)

[​IMG]

Tony Sal likes this.