1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Minimalist MT?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Zebulon, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Zebulon

Zebulon Loaded Pockets

I was pondering my EDC setup, trying to figure out how to integrate a small MT, and I realized that most multi-tools (even the small ones) are too heavy on the "multi" and too light on the "tool." They are so focused on being a four-ounce toolbox that the tools that they put in are compromised in strength or design to the point that they are barely useful. It seems like there would be a certain market for a stripped down multi-tool with just the bare essentials:

Pliers/scissors
    Phillips screwdriver
    Flat screwdriver/bottle opener
    Tweezers (also, why aren't these standard on every MT out there?)

In my opinion, knife blades in MTs are a waste of weight and space. They are never (in my experience, anyway) as good as a dedicated knife, and they're harder to open and utilize. Plus, for my own purposes, I already carry two knives on a daily basis, so adding some cheesy little blade that isn't easy to access isn't doing me any favors.

All that is to set up the question that I have been unable to answer: Is there a solid, small, minimalist MT out there that matches at all what I described? I haven't been able to find anything like that.

Sent from my Transformer Prime using Tapatalk 2

2. Robot Mania FU

Robot Mania FU Loaded Pockets

Sounds to me like the juice s2 is perfect for you.

3. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

It has a blade, but a Leatherman Micra is also pretty close.

sungame likes this.
  4. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

5. Zebulon

Zebulon Loaded Pockets

Sorry, maybe I wasn't being clear on what I meant. The actual size of weight is less of an issue than simple, solid design. All of the tools you guys suggested, while being less complex than some MTs, are still more complex than I was imagining, and most of them look like the structural strength of the tools has been compromised somewhat to allow more doo-hickeys to be crammed into a small chassis.

Does that make sense? My idea is not so much a small or light MT, but a simple, robust MT that does two or three common tasks well, rather than attempting to be able to do anything, but not actually doing anything well.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

6. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

That kind of thinking doesn't really correlate to the spirit of a MT. Most MTs aren't really designed to be good at two-three things well, they are designed to be maybe 50% ok at most things.

Sounds like you need a custom build. Fancy a chassis? Type? Model? Brand?

7. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nothing from a factory comes to mind. Maybe customizing a full size plier/MT might work?

8. Varmitslayer

Varmitslayer Loaded Pockets

You just gave me an idea!
    take a regular pair of small pliers. on each handle create a screwdriver Philips on left flathead on right (or vice versa it doesn't matter) near the pivot of the pliers create a bottle opener, If the pliers have a fine enough point they should be able to handle most tasks a pair of tweezers can do, if not well it's back to the lab again.
    Thanks for the future project.

9. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

I've seen such a product before....I can't remember where tho...too much time spent wandering tool shops.

P185Renegade and Varmitslayer like this.
  10. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

Even though Metro is King of the multitool universe :), I feel the Skinth allows people to use carry and use 'real' tools, that don't suck, all the time. For instance, you could carry a widgy, tiny Vaughn prybar, or PocketWrench, small Knipex PlierWrench or Cobra, decent tweezers and a screwdriver (Though IMO, a set of CountyComm's screwdrivers keys on your keyring would be handier if you just needed flat & phillips) with room to spare for a light in a Skinth and have a nice compact kit that would run circles around any multitool.

YMMV, Ted

metropolicity likes this.
  11. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I have a serious aversion to tools that have unprotected points on handle ends. Might work for some... I just always see it as an accident waiting to happen when you try to bear down on something and the pliers either slip or strip what you are working on.

Then the sharp/pointy bits want to attack you like the knife from The Shadow (@1:00)

Dread trying to write something like that up on an insurance incident report. Add that to the fact that flat, philips, and bottle openers exist elsewhere in the EDC and ROI just drops through the floor.

ATB,
    Sam

Varmitslayer likes this.
  12. Renegade Style

Renegade Style Loaded Pockets

maybe Leatherman Skeletool , no Tweezers, but worth a look.

ox71 likes this.
  13. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I think once these things get thick enough to include a decent set of pliers, they might as well include more blades, but I guess it would be interesting to find a single, plier-thick screwdriver blade there (although screw would probably strip first). I use my pliers as tweezers all the time, not perfect, but serviceable.

The two other must-have items I like on my multi-tools are a regular knife blade, and file/hacksaw. I've cut my way through padlocks locks before..guess I just have this fear of being tied/locked up ;-).

14. Grinch

Grinch Banned

I think a specific tool kit put together will be the route your going to have to take to meet your needs.

15. gsolanio

gsolanio Empty Pockets

Sounds like a Leatherman Skeletool might serve you well. Decent multifunction pliers, phillips, flat, bottle opener, and a great locking knife (compared to other MT blades). Tweezers? I've used the pliers to pluck splinters and hangnails in a pinch. Scissors? The knife can get the job done. In the minimalist spirit, you can embrace the tweezer and scissor functions replaced by other tools (albeit performed awkwardly at times).

Personally, I keep a Skeletool on my person and a Style CS in my commuter bag. The Style CS carries everything left off the Skeletool that you desired. The tweezers and a very functional pair of scissors are there, and there's also a file, small flat head, and small blade. It's a nice option to have the minimal set of a Skeletool, and bring the Style CS along whenever you need the little extra.

The tools on a multitool are inherently compromised compared to their standalone counterparts, but the pliers on the Skeletool are still functional and as minimal as I would be comfortable using. The tiny pliers on a Leatherman PS4 or a Victorinox SAK are, in my opinion, not strong enough for common plier tasks. Though not as robust as the pliers on the full size MTs, the ones on a Skeletool are plenty and will readily tackle a well-rusted nut or a well-set fishing hook.

There's a large demographic of people who only carry a multitool, so keeping a blade on it makes sense. Also, I feel the inclusion of a knife is part tradition. If a multitool doesn't have both a knife and some sort of screwdriver, it's hardly a multitool to me.

Like you, I EDC a fixed blade or a folding knife for primary use, but I personally like knowing I have a backup blade in my MT. The one on the Skeletool CX isn't too shabby either. With outside-accessible deisgn, a very practical length, great blade profile, and 154CM steel, I've taken the Skeletool alone on many occasions and never felt hindered in my day-to-day needs.

tangoalpha67, qqb825 and cowsmilk like this.
  16. Ibrahim Sarp Dogan

Ibrahim Sarp Dogan Loaded Pockets

if pliers are not so important, you are looking for a shiny little micra.

P185Renegade and Russ Prechtl like this.
  17. VKX

VKX Loaded Pockets

A solid design MT with exactly the tools you want and you're not satisfied with the usual MT blade and the bad egonomics of the handle?

There's this obscure company no one has ever heard of. It's like the hipster of the EDC world. They make exactly this with excellent fit and finish, standard models pretty much always have tweezer and toothpick, and it comes in tons of versions with different combinations of tools. The knife in them is surprisingly large and the handle has excellent ergonomics compared to the MT's.

ramjet and P185Renegade like this.
  18. Zebulon

Zebulon Loaded Pockets

I see what you did there... :D

P185Renegade likes this.
  19. VKX

VKX Loaded Pockets

:p

20. KOKUSHI MUSOU

KOKUSHI MUSOU Loaded Pockets

ramjet likes this.