1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

MiniMag LED

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by ran23, Nov 23, 2011.

1. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I found my mini mag behind my desk. swapped battereis, no luck. It has the Nyte-eyes LED kit on it. tried the head in different positions, anyone recall how this is supposed to work? thanks

2. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

pull out the led bulb.....rotate 180*.....reinsert LED....turn on.

the LED only works if the current is flowing in a certain direction.....if it doesnt light up the first time...just flip it around.

3. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I tried that, tried both end caps, metered battery. I wonder if certain models allowed it? It was working on my oldest model. Newer (looking) body will not work either. Just a nice soft light for computer work. ??

4. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

as far as i know...it should work on all the incandescent models.........does the flashlight work with the old incandescent bulb?

5. darth_guy101

darth_guy101 Loaded Pockets

Newer minimags aren't that great. I have bought 3 in the last year and a half and they each lasted about 2 months. I tried the nite-ize kits too, but they didn't fare so well. Its a shame that Maglite quality has dropped over the last few years.

6. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Sometimes the spring in the end cap gets compressed and doesn't make as good contact. Kind of pull on it to elongate it and try again. That sometimes works with those.

7. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

OK. old body has a battery stuck in it. Incan bulb does not work in either. new body, nice colour. few of these parts sitting around any more. Last, I will pull out the stuck battery, if that does not do it, their time is over. Nice soft LED lite for computer checks. thanks all. WOW, there is an orignal bulb in the end cap. LED is a little finicky, but making progress. Thanks for all the help.

8. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Also if you dismantle the top portion of the light that the bulb goes into there is a metal tab that makes contact with the battery sometimes needs to be bent out a little. I had that problem with mine many years ago, the battery wasn't making contact so I stretched the tailspring a bit and bent the contact tab out a bit and while I had it all apart cleaned the contact just for good measure. There isn't much that goes wrong with those older minimags, just be careful if you do pull the top portion apart the metal contacts are flimsy and break easy. Good luck with it.

9. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Just checking, it does not unscrew. Pry out? Maybe getting my stuck battery out will be easy after all.

10. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

The bulb/ switch piece needs to be pryed apart it is actually 2 pieces one to the outside and one inside the battery tube. Once that is apart you should be able to drive the battery out with the other half of the bulb switch assembly. I've done this before to fix one light where the contacts were corroded and needed cleaning and again when a battery leaked and got stuck inside the light.

11. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Wow, got the battery! swelled Duracell 1.26VDC. Also dropped the springy thing out. oh well. Thanks guys, gals. take care all

12. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Hm. After reading this, I compared my minimags from @ 15 years ago with a more recently purchased LED version. Except for the extra length, it seems much the same. For the last 2 years it has worked reliably well, and the same goes for two newish D models. Are you referring to quality of construction, or the electronics in the LED minimags?