1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mini Tape Measure Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by thompssc, Feb 12, 2015.

1. thompssc

thompssc Empty Pockets

Recently I've noticed how often I tend to want to measure small objects, for one reason or another. It's not really in my line of work (finance), but I keep noticing that I tend to want to measure something in mm or inches and not having anything on me to do it. Or maybe I'm looking at the spec sheet of a new flashlight and trying to grasp dimensions visually :). I'd like to pick up a very small tape measure to put in my backpack for those random moments. This wouldn't be pocket carry, but I would still like for it to be very small. I'm actually thinking something more along the lines of a tailorer's tape measure instead of a carpenter's. The thin, soft tape would be preferable to the metal tape.

Anyone have any suggestions on this front?

2. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of different Stanley ones: one is called a FatMax and is about $4, the other doesn't have a name on it that I can find. Usually these are located at the checkouts of big hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowe's. Good luck!

EDIT: The second one is a 3' length.

KeyeEl and ManVsLawn like this.
  3. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you need something just to measure itty bitty things, look into the PocketWrench II (or its rip off equivalent). It's tiny, has CM/MM and Inches, as well as a few other features. Plus its a pry bar.:D

But I agree with Cobra 6 Actual, for something bigger I have a few no-name tapes that are a few dollars at any hardware store in random places.

Many of these you can just bust open and take the tape out.

KeyeEl and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  4. DFT17

DFT17 Loaded Pockets

Head to your nearest sewing center, they will have a few of what you're after...or do a search for retractable sewing tape.

Bowman1911, Cobra 6 Actual and KeyeEl like this.
  5. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have one by Clover that is great. Retractable, fiberglass tape and Made in Japan.

Cobra 6 Actual and ManVsLawn like this.
  6. odg

odg Loaded Pockets

You probably want something retractable. The problem with the typical tailor's tape is that it's too much effort to roll up*, and that may prevent you from using it for very casual measurements. With a retractable tape measure, you won't have to think twice - if you are curious about the measurement, you can whip it out, measure and put it away very quickly.

This is not a problem for tailors, because they just leave the tape unraveled.

7. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

I carry a small tailors tape, rolled up in my altoids kit. Its 2 feet and weighs nothing and is very small. Got it at a craft store for under a buck.

8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use a phone app called Carpenter...screenshot:

[​IMG]

Also has a spirit level, protractor, a bubble level (one of the round ones you lie on its back), and a plumb-bob.

Also, my iPhone 6 in the Otterbox Commuter case measures almost exactly 5 inches, which is very easy to convert mathamatically. 6 phones long is 6x5=30inches.
    The US Dollar is just over 6inches, so the math is a little easier to mess up. 6.18 IIRC.

9. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

why not a vernier caliper? some drawing kits have them or some office supply stores have them in the drafting stuff. i remember they had some at lowes in the "tool world" kinda in the weird corner where they keep all the wonderful and silly lubes and 2 overpriced pocket knives.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  10. oedipus1978

oedipus1978 Loaded Pockets

Same problem :)
    Mine looks so[​IMG][​IMG]
    An old one from my Dad.
    Very portable and dependable for me.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  11. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I use a tailors tape. I cut one to 18 inches and it stays in my wallet.

Sent by owl post.

cowsmilk and oedipus1978 like this.
  12. Soup dragon

Soup dragon Loaded Pockets

I carry an IKEA paper tape measure in my wallet. Marked in cm and In and 1 meter long folds flat for very easy carry. plus it is free assuming you pick one up on a store visit where you manage to avoid getting suckered to make a purchase![​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T.H.Cone, benjisimon and Cprrckwlf like this.
  13. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

Recently picked up a couple plastic similar to oedipus1978 at the container store for about $3 each.

HimalayanHitman likes this.
  14. veriest1

veriest1 Loaded Pockets

Some Rite in the Rain note pads have measurements marked on them. It's rather handy if you need a notepad anyway.

[​IMG]

15. thompssc

thompssc Empty Pockets

This is what I ended up going with. Was at Walmart and realized I needed some sewing needles and saw this sucker right next to them. Kinda wish it was silver or black, but this will do for now.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all the recommendations though! This forum is definitely one of the most friendly and helpful of all the forums I frequent :).

16. stargazin

stargazin Loaded Pockets

I have both the inch worm and centipede from Tec Accessories. Small titanium rods with graduated marks, they ride on my keychain so I've already got them handy. For anything bigger I carry a small Stanley 3'tape measure. Also keychain sized.

17. Sparkdave

Sparkdave Loaded Pockets

I have a 2metre fatmax one that was about 3 euro

18. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Here are some of my rules and tape measures.

I EDC the Stanley 3 foot PowerLock in a pants pocket (shown near the upper right hand corner). I wish there was a better selection in the USA of dual metric/inch tape measures.

[​IMG]

T.H.Cone and odg like this.
  19. zlindee

zlindee Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Stanley fat max tape measure.

I don't find I need one with me all the time but I keep one with my edc gear for whenever I'm headed to the hardware store.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

20. Quinby

Quinby Loaded Pockets

Ditto!

Lorenzo likes this.