1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mini pry bars

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by 2die4, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am a mechanic, welder, and carpenter (terms used lightly) and a pry bar saves my thumb nails. An old screwdriver would work just as good but why not have some Ti?

2. LukeK

LukeK Loaded Pockets

I haven't got one yet but I will, I know for sure though that If I don't pull the trigger soon I'm going to have a need for one ....

3. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

What kind of “sheath” do you use here? I have a Hultafors 108 mini which I carry in my MaxPed Jumbo, and I currently have an improvised sheath made of cork and rubber band to prevent it from damaging the bag or hurting my hands. I’m thinking of buying kydex and trying to make a securely locking sheath out of it, but yours looks fine and seems not to be made of kydex.

4. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

My first pry-bar got made out of an old half inch chisel and it served me well for years. Now it's in the man-drawer and has been superseded by a Gerber Shard which is only better because of the cross-point screwdriver and the cap lifter. The Shard got polished up because I didn't like the satin black finish,,,,,,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cornholio2188, DBR and hatchetjack like this.
  5. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    I do not EDC it, but it gets plenty of use.

6. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

^sometimes it bugs me when I see stuff in a store that is smaller then normal, but still too big to EDC. I think "that's still to big for my pocket, so what's the point?" Then I remember that not everyone thinks like me :)

7. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

If you are talking about that stanley pry bar, it does not get pocket carry or it would get tangled with something. It normal just gets thrown into my tool bag/box

8. dyril

dyril Loaded Pockets

It's not a sheath, just heatshrink tubing attached to a pocket clip fashioned out of steel banding.
    I found the heatshrink tubing was not enough to keep it from sliding off, even in my revised mod:
    http://imgur.com/a/g1IWv
    The endcaps are heatshrink tubing too (then melted and the ends pressed together with pliers, much like how you'd make storage packets out of plastic straws).

I might just forego the nail puller hole by redoing the clip again and using a rivet or eyelet to hold that. If it were easier to drill small holes through hardened steel, I would have fastened an ordinary clip in that way :unsure:

A sheath on second thought sounds like a good idea. It could have a flap or something to cover the gooseneck end.

The durability of heatshrink tubing is questionable here. I use a thick 3/4" 3:1 type made in Germany. The canned version of Plasti-Dip might work better...

Last edited by dyril, Sep 5, 2012
  9. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Were you thinking about anything in particular? Depending on the store, they just may not stock a particular size even if the manufacturer has it in their product line.

In the past year or so, I have noticed that both Lowes and Home Depot have reduced "stock on hand" for a lot of products.... especially those that might be construed as of as a little bit left of center.

ATB,
    Sam

keith1234 likes this.
  10. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I noticed the same thing with both HD and Lowes, the hand tools are almost nonexistant and the Lowes closest to me. I hate going to Sears for hand tools but even their selection has diminished recently.

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Ace Hardware is still good for hand-tools.

(At least the nearest one by me.)

DBR likes this.
  12. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

After working in retail for nearly 26 years I think the problem is Stores holding onto money rather then having stock on the shelves. Especially when nearly everything these days can be ordered online and shipped to the store free.

13. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I have yet to go to an ACE hardware store, I've never been to one and they are all over up here.

14. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Today I went to the hardware store, brought my Hultafors 108 mini with me and tried several hoses. I bought a short piece of gardening hose and cut it to fit as a kind of sheath which is much more stable than my previous rubber/cork construction. The length I used costs only ca. 0,10€. :)

15. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

I'm surprised to see so many people who don't find the need for a lever one of the most basic tools. I EDC a Shard and it is my second most used keychain tool next to my Maratac AAA. I do find that the Philips screw driver and bottle opener get used quite a bit but it is also used to pry and scrap things I may have used my knife for in the past. I might not use it every day but I'm happy to have it when I have a use for it.

16. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Just earlier today I found myself wishing I had a widgy bar, for about the second time in as many years. If I had one I'm sure I'd find uses for it but the need just doesn't seem that great. I do EDC a 6 way screw driver that gets used for prying now and then.

17. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

I EDC a Gerber Artifact, i do use it from time to time. Better to have it and not need it.

18. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

,,this is my current around the house/workshop/garden carry. An Enlan EM01 Chinese knife with a 8Cr13Mov blade,,,, a suspension clip made from an old tea-spoon and a mini pry bar made from a 1/2" wood chisel, polished and blued. It gets used all the time and is cheap so I don't have to concern myself about trashing it,,,,,, but the pry bar and the knife go on and on and on.

[​IMG]

Last edited by boyo17, Sep 23, 2012
  19. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Here's the one I got to carry, I kept it just the way you see it, we'll besides out of the package, lol. JR
    [​IMG]

Fukurai likes this.
  20. Busheagle

Busheagle Loaded Pockets

Just ordered a 4 inch widgy and an EOD breacher from County Comm, will let you know what I think or how much use they get. They are cheap so its a nice to have, but I have lived without them so far.

Cornholio2188 likes this.