1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mini pry bars

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by 2die4, Jan 18, 2012.

1. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

As has been said before, To Each Their Own.

Yes, I do pretty much EDC one. Actually two come to think of it. One is a little Gerber Artifact carried almost everyday and the other is a short, light weight hardware store one made of steel that stays in the pack. Total weight for both is so light I do not notice them.

Then again I'm the type of guy that has the task done and is walking on to do the next one while everyone else is still thinking, "Gee, I thought it was in here. Where did I leave it?"

Don't use them often but then again I have never, ever snapped off the tip of a blade. There are some jobs that a bar is the only tool that will do. If you are creative there are a lot of tasks that they are good at handling.

2. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I have one of the mini ones that stays tied to the zipper pull on one of my subload pouches. What I would really like to pickup is something 5-6" long in titanium.

3. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

They're GREAT for carrying about 10 feet of 550 paracord wrapped around them!

:laugh:

Seriously though, I look at my EDC pry bar as an emergency tool mostly. If I'm caught in a situation where I need a tool to say, pry open a door in the aftermath of an Earthquake or something, I'll be glad to have it.

I have a 7" one that's weighs very little, slides into and out of my Neatfreak very nicely, and may save my life someday. :thumbsup:

Who knows?

4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

We need to define mini.

[​IMG]
    mumbo prybars by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

for me it would be keychain prybars.

The restorers bar is my favorite because, I am in the 12th year of a restoration but it doesn’t ride well in the pocket.

5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

To me mini is something that you COULD wear on a key-chain....

I posted this before but oh well;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will only set you back $1, and you can build it in basically any size you like (mine is a 10mm wrench). Works brilliantly, ive used it to remove trim, open up plastic 'snapped' housings and even to remove a cars rear-window from the rubber surrounds and i can vouch for how strong these things are. Also because its such a cheap and easy to replace thing you wont be afraid to pry it to bits.

Incon, Doraemon, ID23 and 6 others like this.
  6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

That is an awesome mod..Forgot that I had seen your pic before.

7. zlindee

zlindee Loaded Pockets

I love the wrench/pry bar combo. I'm waiting on a pico widgy pry bar from county comm to arrive. I've got a couple of mods that will either make it extremely useful or render it entirely useless. Only time will tell.

EDIT: Also - First post, w00t!

8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Welcome to the forum zlindee! Be sure to stop by the introduce yourself thread. We're all in this together! http://edcforums.com/forumdisplay.php/95-Introduce-Yourself

Also, come back and post your mod pics! I wannna see!

9. Websniper

Websniper Loaded Pockets

Same here. I find that using my CC mini Widgy keeps my knife sharp and free of adhesive.

However I don't use it as much for anything else as I thought I would.

10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I did actually use it to pry some finish nails once. Tiny nail, tiny tool. Worked perfect, but I never thought I would ever, ever, ever use it for an actual nail. Probably won't ever happen again.

11. Windex

Windex Loaded Pockets

I use mine often enough to keep one on my key chain. I have used it for popping clips on my car to change a tail light. Scraping adhesives off of things. Remove nails, use it as a flat head on the fly. It also could double as a very low profile weapon (I put an edge on mine).

12. brianwhynot

brianwhynot Loaded Pockets

I had a County Comm one but it only got used once in the year that I EDC'd it. Gave it to the wife because she's still in the "oooh, shiny" phase of EDC. I now have an Atwood Gasbaby on my keys. It gets used for opening boxes and prying paint cans open often enough, but mostly it's just there to give me peace of mind that I always have an oxygen wrench on me.

EDIT: Turns out wifey uses the heck out of her prybar. She opens soda cans, boxes, and anything else she can't grip with her "stubby nails".

13. TallNHairyDave

TallNHairyDave Loaded Pockets

I got addicted to keychain tools some time back, so I have several mini pry tools of various flavours...

Keep a countycomm one alongside my swisstool spirit in my toolkit at work and a pocketwrench.

Used the prybar to jimmy open a sticky LAN cabinet door and the pocketwrench to remove a temperature sensor from a wall that the engineers had fixed in the wrong place with strong double sided tape.

Other uses - tearing open packaging, popping drinks cans...

So useful :)

Once my SkinthXL arrives, guess I'll need to get a flat one to sit in one of the pentapockets :)

14. quadrille

quadrille Loaded Pockets

Love the wreckerman

15. mcmc

mcmc Loaded Pockets

Makes sense. But since I have my mini-widgy pry bar on my keychain with a clip, I still find it too much easier to deploy my knife to bother going for the pry bar.

However, I do use the back edge of the knife tip, rather than the front, to open tape seams. Does the same job of keeping the knife free of adhesive. And them I also have the option to cut the corners to break the box down right after.

odg likes this.
  16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I see... great minds think alike, they say. I'll be ordering a flat one too. Here's where the 4" rides.

[​IMG]
    VictorinoxSpirit Plu Ratchet w/ a 4" Widgey Bar by SAKplumber, on Flickr

Doraemon and Here Comes The BOOM like this.
  17. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I carry an Artifact. The hobby blade sees a ton of use. The prybar is great for popping open a frozen gas compartment door on my car. It has also provided just enough leverage to help me open my frozen car doors multiple times. Also really handy for popping open pc cases.

18. Garland

Garland Loaded Pockets

I've got several Atwood pry-tools and I sometimes carry one. I recently got a Munroe Mega Dangler, and it serves as a suspension clip, bottle opener, and light-duty pry bar.

[​IMG]

19. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

^ Now that is cool and multi functional. Your patina is coming along nicely!!

20. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

I picked up a few from STR via Gnarly's suggestion awhile back. They've worked out really great and I like the customized anodyzation colors and paracord wraps. Very recommended!

Cornholio2188 likes this.