1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mini Griptilian vs Dragonfly 2

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Berk Ozatay, Jun 3, 2016.

?

The next knife i should get

1. Benchmade 555-hg mini griptilian (154cm)

65.0%
  2. Spyderco Dragonfly 2 British Racing Green (ZDP-189)

35.0%
  1. Berk Ozatay

Berk Ozatay Loaded Pockets

Hey guys. I am going to get a new blade for edc. I have been using delica 4 but i am kinda bored of it. I also own a dragonfly2 salt serrated. I want a new knife. I cannot decide between Benchmade mini griptilian 555hg , thumb hole and modified sheepsfoot and dragonfly 2. BM will be in 154cm steel and Dragonfly will be in ZDP189. Even if Zdp is superior to 154cm i am more into axis lock of bm. (i like playing around with the knife i carry :) ) . However , the prices for knives are pretty high in my country and the laws doesnt allow me to buy knives from other countries. The BM costs 200 $ and the dragonfly costs 150 $ . I would like to hear your opinions about the blades and the prices. Thanks in advance for helping me out.

2. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I hate hollow grinds so I own a standard drop-point flat grind 556. I like it so much, fits in my hands perfectly because I have small hands, also the blade shape is perfect in comparison with all of the knives that exist and will exist in future. Also cool axis lock (because you said you're bored of your delica/lockback)
    So, a mini grip if you ask me.
    [​IMG]SAM_0651 by ihatebottleopeners, on Flickr
    P.S. bought this knife online and the stupid customs (read: thieves) ripped off my pockets, I payed them about 50% of the value of the knife. So, about $145 for this one (if I knew what will happen, I would have ordered from ebay the same knife for $90).

Berk Ozatay likes this.
  3. Brendon

Brendon Loaded Pockets

I own both. The dragonfly 2 is very light, like crazy light. It's also very small too. Fits in most coin pockets. My only complaint about it is the shape. I guess it's supposed to be ergonomic but I find it awkward. If it were shaped more like a manbug, it would hands down be my Edc.

The mini griptilian feels great in the hands. It's got more weight than the dragonfly but I find it very well balanced. The quality is also outstanding.

I like both knives but if I had to choose, I'd pick the griptilian.

Berk Ozatay likes this.
  4. abbazaba

abbazaba Empty Pockets

I love my dragonflys, but if you already have one I'd go with the 555HG just to mix it up. It's a great knife, and the best mini grip to get IMO (I own two).

Berk Ozatay likes this.
  5. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

Both knives are great but just the fact that Benchmade can change a blade for 30$ is a good reason to choose the mini grip...

Berk Ozatay likes this.
  6. Todd21969

Todd21969 Loaded Pockets

I see this mentioned often when these two companies are compared. And I cannot fathom why $30 blade replacement would be a selling point?

I have had a knife in my pocket daily for over 40 years and have never even snapped a tip off. Never mind needed a blade replaced.

And I have a few pics posted on this site showing I am a rough knife user, some might say stupid user ( I'm ok with that ).

derfyled and Berk Ozatay like this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Man, that is some incredible import tariffs and regulations y'all have to put up with!

I own two Dragonfly 2's; both in the H1 steel; a PE and a SE. So you know I'm a DF fan. I also had been considering adding a Mini-grip to my collection. Finally chose not to for a range of reason:
    1. Higher cost than the DF2, even here in US -- but in terms of a gain in what the knife could do I just didn't see it was worth it.
    2. Scattered around the Internet I kept seeing too many comments about alignment issues which appeared over time. Which frankly amazed me given the BM reputation.
    3. Many comments on the Internet about the so-called 'BM tax', meaning of course the premium costs for their products.
    4. I had concerns about long-term maintenance and reliability of the axis lock based on exposure to grit etc. Note I am not saying it is a bad design; just seems to me a harder thing to deal with if the knife was used under 'trying' conditions. Perhaps I'm wrong; but that was my read on it.
    5. I took note of how widespread is the tendency of BM Grip and Mini-grip owners to dress up their knives with new scales etc. Nothing at all wrong with customizing what we own. But one of the widespread comments was how many folk dislike the existing scales not only in appearance but in terms of feel, etc.
    I should also admit that a significant proportion of my knives are the 'traditional' sort rather than the more tactical. Given this, the construction/design of the DF2 just appeals to me more. No doubt YMMV !
    Looking forward to see what the polls say when you close it and what you end up doing!
    Sholom aleichem!
    Moshe ben David

Berk Ozatay likes this.
  8. Berk Ozatay

Berk Ozatay Loaded Pockets

Thank you so much for your opinions. I will wait for some more opinions and the i will decide.

9. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Mini Grip!!

Berk Ozatay likes this.
  10. plague112

plague112 Loaded Pockets

I have a mini grip and I switch between loving the scales and hating it. It looks ok and feels ok in the hand but at the same time functionally it's great. It never slips or becomes uncomfortable, besides being on the smaller side for my slightly large hands. I'd buy it again and have no regrets. Lock is smooth too. I don't own a df so I can't compare the two. I can only say that the minigrip is a great knife :)
    Good luck on your choice.

Dull edge

Berk Ozatay likes this.
  11. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I don't have a DF to compare to, but I do have the larger Delica4 FFG with black FRN handles and a BM Mini-Grip 555HG 154cm black handles with standard blade.

I like them both, and they each have things I prefer over equivalent things in the other knife. But overall I like the Benchmade better. The usable cutting edge is about 1/4" longer for the same actual blade length, yet the knife closed is maybe 3/8" shorter. It's a bit thicker but that translates to a more hand-filling grip.

The real winner is the axis lock. I had always heard about how great they were and couldn't understand what exactly people meant, until I actually owned one. It just makes the knife really easy to use, and the easiest and safest one-handed closing of any knives I own.

I am either just easy to please or not sophisticated enough to know what I am missing, but I like the standard handles on the both the BM Mini and full sided Griptilian just fine and have no interest in changing them out.

12. 017

017 Loaded Pockets

I voted Mini Griptilian.

Since you've hinted that you're a flicker, I find the Axis lock much easier to operate than back locks. I'm not much of a fan of back locks, which I find awkward to unlock.

13. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

Well, changing a blade is almost like having a brand new knife. After 3-4 years of hard use, I've sent mine to Benchmade. For 30$ my minigrip is young again. Also, I didn't mind the fact that it was cleaned, lubed and some brand new screws and a new clip was installed.

ran23 likes this.
  14. ozbushy

ozbushy Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have a picture of these 2 side by side they could post up for us please?