1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mini Grip or ....

Discussion in 'Knives' started by swedishelite22, Jul 13, 2018.

1. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

That is both the beauty and the bane of the griptilian/mini-grip. They're wonderful little forgettable knives. I don't love any of the blade shapes, although I the sheepsfoot is the biggest letdown.

Regarding the Delica vs Mini-Grip, I disagree that the Delica is every bit as good unless you forego the value of preference. I don't care for 154cm, but it is much more rust resistant than VG10 in my experience, and the mini-grip has been made with some other great steels. S30V wins for me all day. If you prefer a leaf blade shape, slim/flat-ish handle, and a traditional lockback, and my favorite, the wave feature, then the Delica wins. they're comparable in build quality. If those things aren't high value, the Mini-Grip wins all day against a run-of-the-mill Delica. The AXIS lock is killer, and the mini grip is just much nicer to use, IMO.

2. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

@Moshe ben David

Thank you for the details and the suggestions.

The Rat is very much something that I keep coming back to. It's nothing against foreign knife makers, just right now my mind is pointing toward US made. If my impulse to buy a knife overrides my "wait and save" ability, this will probably end up in rotation.

Side question... I've heard the black coated blades on the mini (think Cabela's model) have a higher propensity to rust and require more frequent attention/maintenance... Do you know if this is true of the Rat IIs black coated blades as well?

Kershaw is an interesting one for me. I'm not totally sold on the flipper style for my EDC. This will be a mainly 5th pocket carry knife so the smaller pocket mixed with the protruding flipper/handle design has me questioning it. Something I'll have to run through some handling at a local shop to test.

The PM knives, and others from Spyder, just don't do it for me. Great knives at a great price point, but the oversized hole opening and resulting dramatic slant to the blade shape just make my eyes hurt.

The Buck is on my list for a "Gents knife" along with the Urban Trapper (here the flipper doesn't bug me so much as it isn't an EDC and the lines are so :censored: sexy on the UT)... If the Rat wins over the Mini, the NicB may take the US made spot over the Boker to balance things out (eventually).

Last edited by swedishelite22, Jul 15, 2018
    #22 swedishelite22, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  3. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

You should be able to snag a Cold Steel mini Recon 1 for that range
    I do agree saving for the mini grip. you won't regret it

I did a DiY here a while ago will try find it

ran23 and swedishelite22 like this.
  4. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Seriously? You buy something, and you gotta make it work?

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

5. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Different strokes I guess
    I would say make it work better to one's pref.

ran23 likes this.
  6. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

Or like sanding off the sharp edges on a $190 knife and making a lanyard hook for it?

[​IMG]

For some people modding is fun, for others it's making a mediocre product just the way way it should be (if you made it yourself ;) )

Moshe ben David and onebadwagon like this.
  7. onebadwagon

You don't "gotta". But you can, if you choose to. Great, isn't it?

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

There are two 'flavors' if you will of black coated blades. On some knives, it is a hard coating and labelled as DLC = Diamond Like Coating. These generally wear pretty well from what I've seen and read. On other knives, the black coating is little more than (for lack of a better term) some sort of 'paint'. Needless to say, this paint coating is not so durable.

I'm not sure what BM current coating practice is. I remember some time back seeing reviews of some of the RAT knives that suggested the black coating was little more than paint and wore off. But as I say, that was some time back and I don't know if things have changed.

I'm not a real heavy user of my knives; meaning I don't do much bushwhacking nor much extensive cutting of cardboard boxes (just to give two examples). So I don't run into many issues on mine. Best I can suggest is for whichever knife(s) you are curious about the coating do a Google search for the knife, specifying the steel version (if known) and the coating (even if all you can say is black coated). You should get a range of 'hits'. The other thing I'd suggest is maybe go on BladeForum and search to see if there are relevant threads...

Happy Hunting!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

swedishelite22 likes this.
  9. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

I prefer this new that are built to work as they are

EDIT
    Gosh that sentence came out screwed. Sorry for that fellas. It should read something like:
    I prefer things, that work the way they are built, when they are new

#29 ThaMac, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  10. onebadwagon

They do work, quite well in fact as delivered.

11. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

A mini grip or, just about anything else that is more value for the $. I'm sure I'll ruffle some feathers but it seems like all BMs are overpriced, none more so than the griptillian series. I've handled several trying to figure out what all the fuss is about and honestly, it is beyond me. I'm interested in a few BMs but I just don't see anything there, specifically the grips, to justify the price tag.

ThaMac and Moshe ben David like this.
  12. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

At the end of the day I had about 25-30 folders before I sold everything off. Several of them did not meet my expectations, some of them BMs. But maybe my expectations have been wrong.
    If there is interest, i could give a rundown of my impressions in a separate Fred.

13. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

If a (small) flipper opening is acceptable i would suggest taking a look at Steel Will knives, namely the Modus, Cutjack and Intrigue. I bought a small Cutjack a while ago and I have carried it quite a lot. D2 steel (which will get surface rust but its easy to take care of), excellent quality for the price and a little different.

I can understand that you wish to have another lock type and the axis lock is a very nice lock. But with a fairly limited budget it is not going to give you the best bang for your buck. Don't get me wrong, I have a full size Griptilian and I like it, but it is honestly quite expensive for what you get. For the same price (that we will pay here in Sweden) you can get a titanium frame lock folder from, for example Kizer, or a Spyderco delica/endura or even a Chaparral or Manix LW. You're almost in the territory of the Spyderco Native and regular Manix. Note that the Manix line also has an "axis lock" in that it works in a similar way (but also differently). In addition to that there's knives with the very nice compression lock for a little more, namely the Spyderco Lil Native.

But as far as I know there's nothing that matches the mini grip so if that's what you want I would suggest you save up and go for it. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Last edited by Swe_Nurse, Jul 18, 2018
    #33 Swe_Nurse, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  14. swedishelite22

Alright, so, I'm pretty much set on the mini and found a good price...

...now to decide coated or un-coated.

15. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I have never regretted getting a "natural" blade but I have regretted getting a coated ones. The same is true for several friends. My philosophy is this: if you have to think about it, get an uncoated one.

However if you really like a coated blade and you're aware that it will be scratched with use, go for it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  16. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

I prefer un-coated. Just My pref

17. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Stonewash or blackwash on a heavy duty knife, nice satin finish on a light duty knife
    My preference ;)

18. swedishelite22

Is there a concern with coated knives used on food, ee.g cutting up an apple?

19. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I don't think the mass would be enough to harm you. Big particles would just go through you, smaller ones shouldn't be enough to do anything.

To me it's more about craftmanship. Why do you need a coating? To prevent rust or reflexes from the sun when you're a Black Ops guy.
    For John Rambo a shiny blade was ok though, so I guess it must be corrosion.

If you prefer a non-stainless steel blade then you'd better give it a patina and oil it well, esp. before storing it away.
    If the rust hits the cutting edge and gets under the coating then that will be nastier as when you have to remove some surface rust from an uncoated blade. Or just get yourself a stainless blade, there's enough good steels available.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  20. swedishelite22

The 154cm steel has decent/good corrosion resistance off the bat, my thought behind coated vs un-coated I that the coating would be another level of protection.

I've had blades (420HC) I've carried that have picked up spots of rust once stretches of carry on hot, humid, sweaty days.