1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mini Grip or ....

Discussion in 'Knives' started by swedishelite22, Jul 13, 2018.

1. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

Looking at picking up a new EDC knife. For a very brief period I carried my Gerber EZ Out, SAK climber, and a much smaller Guidesman Tactical, but those never really had staying power and gave way and the LM Wave has been my go to.

Now I'm looking for a dedicated knife, something with a smaller footprint, and a little different.

The mini grip has pretty much every box check. Comes in at just under 3" (I'm looking to go slightly smaller than the 3.5", but bigger than the 2.5", blades I've already got), manual opening via thumb stud, full length liners, comfort grip (by all reports), and the axis lock is different from the frame/liner/mid locks I have (or have had) etc. etc.

But, at $95-115 new the mini is still a bit much for me to spend on a want vs a need considering I do still have the Gerber and Wave.

I'm watching eBay but those are mostly combo edges or tantos and I'm looking for a plain edge; drop or clip point is fine.

So, is there anything of quality out there I am missing in the style of the mini grip, or should I just save up and enjoy?

The Kershaw Blur is very tempting but the size is more on par with the regular Grip, etc

2. brand0n

brand0n EDC Junkie

Just save up and enjoy. You’ll get something else butbalways wonder about the mini. Sell it to fund a mini but that’s just an extra step. There’s a reason the mini has been arounf for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swedishelite22 likes this.
  3. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

If you’re looking for a knife with an Axis lock, the Mini Grip is the cheapest it gets (unless you go Chinese).

It’s a good knife. On the whole, BM doesn’t rank high on the value range because they enforce MAAP pricing. (For example, the Spyderco Delica is every bit as nice as the Mini Grip for 2/3rd the price.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and BLJace like this.
  4. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

Save up and buy the Griptillian, you will not regret it. I have a full size Griptillian and it's my favorite knife.

5. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Just curious. What is your price range

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

There are plenty if pre-loved Mini Grip out there too and I am sure you can find one in your range with a little effort.
    You will likely regret it if you get something other than your first choice for the slight amount you think you are saving getting the cheaper knife?

On the other hand.......

Delica
    Cryo G10
    Rat 2
    Zancudo

There are a bunch of cheaper choices that are pretty great too.

7. JIM

JIM Loaded Pockets

Buck vantage select mini is pretty awesome too

8. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Not that I want to anger the Benchboyz here, but the Griptillian was disappointing for me. The hollow plastic handle, the dissatisfying opening, naw. The blade geometry is ok but not a real slicer grind.
    The PM2 or maybe in your case PM3 is imho a better choice. Flat in the pocket, still feels more “solid”, satisfying opening game, a grind that is very good for slicing, because flat. Maybe the tip is a bit delicate or it’s not the toughest of the toughest knifes, but usually we pamper our knives anyway. Well guess I do.
    And no, I don’t say that in a reflex. This is a quick shot of the content of my user drawer, all other knives are commemorative. This is just to illustrate what the PM2 is up against in my stables.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

#8 ThaMac, Jul 14, 2018 at 9:36 AM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 9:48 AM
    BLJace and swedishelite22 like this.
  9. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

Don't take this as me being a benchboy, but there is a significant difference between the regular grip and the mini as far as handle feel goes. The mini has full liners and it feels sturdier because of it. I had a full size grip and felt the same way about the handles. I would own a mini, except that my preference is for larger blades.

10. swedishelite22

$45-60 is probably where I am right now. Anything more without selling to offset and I'm sleeping on the couch.

After that it's just a matter of saving until reaching whatever.

With respect to Mac & Hangman, that's part of what drew me into the mini. Researching the regular had a get hollow, plastic, cheaper sound to closure due to the lack of full liners. StrugglinE I read/watched on the mini is a different story. One video I watch broke down that the mini actually has longer liners than the regular.

Mix that with the slightly thinner profile and ~3" blade (vs the 3.5") and it kept checking boxes.

The responses so far have been helpful. A could blades I either didn't consider or breezed over, so those I'll take a better look at.

Last edited by swedishelite22, Saturday at 11:24 AM
    #10 swedishelite22, Jul 14, 2018 at 11:18 AM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 11:24 AM
  11. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

When I got my Mini-grip, I happened to hit a sale at Sportsman's Whse . $62 maybe, base model. a few years back.

swedishelite22 likes this.
  12. swedishelite22

I came across a website that was blowing them out at something like $32 but they are long sold out.

There was a (different) forum sale that had one nearly new go for $40 but it sold within minutes of being posted.

I imagine prices are going to be fairly stable until labor day or people start really going after the G10 versions more and stores sell off the "older" scale versions.

13. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Well, I don't know if you take Chinese knives into account but I still like my Sanrenmu Land 910+ a lot.

I'd recommend that liner lock version more than the all steel 9103/9104 versions.

You should get it for around $20 in black and atm for $14 in green.

Design-wise it's a Sebenza copy, size-wise between the Large and the Small Seb, running on ball bearings.

If you don't like that resemblance, that's ok with, it's still a great knife ;)

14. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

+1 for the grip. BM does a great job with their steels. The axis mechanism is a functional work of art. The handle profile is very nice in the hand. It’s probably not the best knife to slice tomatoes with because it’s on the thick side of general duty. I can’t say anything for or against the “hollow feel”, but from the couple I’ve owned, I can say that it’s an extremely sturdy, durable design.

15. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Even considering that, the machined G10 gives me a better feel in hand than the injection molded material of the Grip. That leaves me with the grind/blade thickness and the unsatisfactory opening game. Plus, the compression lock is a simpler design than the AXIS lock, which is a win for me (no Omega spring).
    Did you ever handle a PM? It’s less bulky, slices better, and is a better “toy” (there, I said it). Again, please consider, I’m not mocking the Grip or just bending over backwards for the PM. Slicing is, for me, the primary use of a knife and the PM is better at that.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

16. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

Never had one of the springs fail. G10 is a griptillian option too. just fwiw.

17. Clown

Clown Loaded Pockets

I've got a Mini Grip and while it's a nice knife I believe they are wildly overpriced. They are a really nice size for EDC and are comfy to use but for whatever reason mine doesn't see a ton of pocket time.

Id throw a vote in for the Ontario RAT II. I carried a Model I to work every day for a couple years until I lost it. They have a great blade shape, are slim in the pocket and take a great edge. Tough knives too. I beat mine up pretty bad and it just kept going. Plus at their price point they are one of the best values out there.

Let us know what you decide!

18. swedishelite22

I've looked at the Rat2 and was very interested but, and I recognize I failed to mention this originally, I'm a fan of going American made.

If this would be a random carry I'd be more open to other countries of origin, likewise if the knife was something high end from a country known for specializing in that blade (eg a katana for a poor example) it'd be different.

A random question...

... How is the 154cm steel when it comes to rust? Most days it's not an issue but there are days I'm running all over at work and have had issues with my leatherman rusting up from moisture (sweat).

19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@swedishelite22:

1) I WAS going to suggest you look at a couple of the 'newer' Chinese manufacturers. The point being in the last couple of years several Chinese manufacturers have started making names for themselves WITHOUT simply cloning off other knives. But also offering great value, workmanship, and using better steels. I'd in particular suggest Kizer, Steel Will, and Ruike; if budget permitted by all means also include WE. Not suggesting every product would line up with your needs and wants; but these guys are not just making clones. Lots of their products using S35; D2; etc. Also many handles of Ti; both flippers and thumb stud opening. Broad array of choices in the US$35 ~ US$100 range. In the case of Ruike, they have the backing of one of the leading light makers -- Fenix.

2) I second the motion by @Clown re RAT knives; also the suggestion by @ThaMac for the Spyderco PM2 and PM3. If memory serves these are made in US, at Spyderco factory in Golden, CO. The PM knives are highly regarded both for erognomics and because they are just so good..!

3) You might also want to look at some of the Kershaw products from the recent period. In particular the Link and the Dividend. Maybe also the Atmos? Kershaw has been building some product here in the US; these are the ones that come to mind; and these have been well-regarded. Perhaps not the 'exotic' steels, but reviews have been very nice.

4) Lastly have you considered any of the classic Buck products? Eminently affordable; several models still totally US made. I'm thinking in particular of the Buck 112 Ranger. Admittedly designed with a nail nick for opening, but many folks do use an aftermarket thumb stud that clamps onto the blade. I'll also agree Bucks are a bit heavier than some, but their history as dependable easy to sharpen blades is hard to beat!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

swedishelite22 and ran23 like this.
  20. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I seem to recall guys were taking the grips apart and filling the hollow with epoxy or something. I bought my mini for traveling into CA. Now it is just an option when I get dressed.