1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mini Grip or Kershaw Leek?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Dedrich, Nov 10, 2014.

1. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic Loaded Pockets

Yes one and the same Mr Ritter!

2. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

This thread makes me sad, the leek is not getting anywhere near the credit it deserves. I understand there is a strong bias towards benchmade in this forum, I love them myself, but people are not considering at least two very important questions. What do you plan on using the knife for a how do you intend to carry it? The leek in coated in sandvik is magical, the coating holds superbly, it sharpens easily and stays that way. I have beaten mine to death, literally it was beater for a very long time and thing just hasn't quit. Has my tip snapped off? No, I know how to properly use a knife, and not put it through more than it can handle. That being said, it is obviously not as robust a mini-grip, but its seriously close, and it handles and carries so much better in my opinion. The leek vanishes in a pocket, clip or not, the same definitely cannot be said for the mini-grip, they were designed to fill a hand not a pocket. As far as handling goes, the mini struggles to attempt to be a handful of knife while still being a small knife, this was immediately apparent to me from the second I was handed one, I would even go so far as to say that the knife is too short to properly utilize an axis lock, its feels incredibly awkward to me. The leek on the other hand appears to have much less going for in terms of ergonomics, at first glance. However with only minuscule levels of dexterity the leek can easily be wielded like a normal knife, a box cutter, or a scalpel. My hands are not particularly dexterous, but if yours are much clumsier then yes you may want a mini-grip, but I would realistically tell you to get a bigger knife or to not use one at all.

Do not get me wrong i completely understand why people love their mini-grips, I've owned several benchmades, one of which was a regular griptilian, and they have all treated me fairly well. However, the bias is strong and we as forum need to be aware of our biases particularly when making recommendations to others. The fact of the matter is that the appropriate leek is a very strong contender with a mini-grip, and that is not what has been represented in this thread. For all we know OP's needs and taste may have been much more aligned with a leek and now i fear he may have been dissuaded.

I have owned a sandvik coated plain edge, for nearly six years now, It is likely my most heavily used knife, and I beat it death before I realized how fantastic of a knife it really was. Shes still going strong, takes a near perfect edge and functions like new. Disappears in a pocket and feels like an extension of the hand, from the first time I picked it up.

On a final note, the hole is not nearly as deep as the one you would have dug yourself if god forbid you did not enjoy your ritter, my exact model can be found for less than sixty dollars with little effort. I hope I your attention in time OP, seriously consider the leek, and shame on the rest of you :p

GrayMouser likes this.
  3. Shuutr

Shuutr Loaded Pockets

I hear what you are saying, and the leek is a good knife. yes I have seen a new leek sell for as little as $35. Yes the leek has a flipper function tied to a speedsafe assisted opening system. It is a minimalist design meant to disappear in the pocket.

But with that minimalist approach you give up some features. And in a match up of knife vs knife, I've owned multiples of both and have sold the leeks in favor of the mini grip. I disagree that the mini grip doesn't disappear in the pocket. Mine does clipped or not. I forget it is there and have no problem navigating around it. I hated when the speedsafe torsion bar weakened. I also didn't like the loss of grip with sweaty hands. I've had no problems with the axis lock on this small of a knife.

In my opinion, the leek is a very good knife. The mini grip is better

4. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Great post thank you for the time.

The Leek wins for me.

Not necessarily b/c folks in support of either did a better job of articulating which is better. It's because I read the Knife Rights site about their position on the ban on ivory. There's no quantitative data to support their position and argument, which frankly I find deplorable. This means I can't ethically purchase anything connected to them including products made by Doug Ritter.

While this might cause controversy, make some think I'm crazy, I happen to like elephants and see no reason to not completely an utterly ban the ivory trade. Which, by the way, funds civil wars and terrorists (including ISIL).

"many experts, and indeed the African ivory producing nations as well, are convinced that not only will this ivory ban not save any elephants, it may increase their slaughter by poachers."

Who exactly are these experts? And we are relying on ivory producing nations?

How exactly wouldn't a complete and utter ban on the item in the worlds 2nd largest consumer of ivory products end a huge market where this stuff is sold? So there's so much demand elsewhere to not only fill the consumption gap, but be larger, and hence increase their slaughter?

There's all kinds of things wrong with their position and argument. I can't support them.

GrayMouser, foxmo and DEERLORD like this.
  5. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

Everyone loves matching sets :p. (These aren't mine, but they should be) A friend of mine has like 15 kershaws, and I keep having to fix them up for him. Not because they break easily, but because he takes horrendous care of his knives. Chips, breaks, rust, loose pivots, broken locks, you name it. His kershaws are my favorite to take apart and mess with after, because they fix up real well and keep on workin'.
    [​IMG]

GrayMouser and Dedrich like this.
  6. Jby2206

Jby2206 Loaded Pockets

That was me. :)
    After reading what you use your knives for I would highly recommend the Leek.
    When I recommended the mini grip I was using a "collector mentality" for lack of a better term. In other words, I was saying you should buy a knife different from the ones you already have so you can experiment with other brands, steels, and designs.
    You said that you mostly open boxes and occasionally cut paracord. The Leek would be an amazing knife for that. It disappears in the pocket, and that fine tip will pierce tape like nobody's business.
    Just off the top of my head I can't think of a better value knife for you.

GrayMouser and DEERLORD like this.
  7. Shuutr

Shuutr Loaded Pockets

Double post

8. Shuutr

Shuutr Loaded Pockets

Ritter has nothing to do with the mini grip models 555 556 or 557. Ritter designed a version of a model for Benchmade, not all mini Griptilians.

Lou_G and Dedrich like this.
  9. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

I appreciate knowing this. Thank you.

10. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

Thanks so much for taking the time to read what I had to say, I was unaware of Knife Rights position on the ivory trade and I agree with you completely, so thank you once again for enlightening me.

Dedrich likes this.
  11. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

The problem with the ivory ban that Mr. Ritter opposes, is that it bans a lot of ivory that is already legal. Items such as knives, firearms, musical instruments, etc. would now become illegal. They aren't trying to fight for the right to import new ivory, they want to be able to use the already imported legal ivory that we have. They are against poaching and trade in illegal ivory, just like you. Banning items already in existence will not solve any problems, but it would make many family heirlooms illegal.

As far as the knives, I'd go with whichever feels better in your hands for your type of use. The Leek is way too small for my hands, but is a good little knife.

Adahn likes this.
  12. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Yes of course the reason for opposing the ban is clear.

The challenge is that it has been difficult if not impossible to enforce what is a loophole - people dealing "new" ivory will say it's antique and thus are grandfathered in from the existing laws. Thus the problem has been mounting and what they have tried to do to date has not worked.

With regards to heirlooms - are these worth keeping and handing down? How would one explain their "special value" in light of all of the wrongs done in order to create that ivory handled whatever. Would our children, who are smarter and more aware than us, value these things?

My family had ivory from decades ago as well. When my parents understood what it was really about they got rid of it.

Surely the impact to our individual wealth and valuables is far more impacted by things like income inequality, endless wars, tax dollars going to really infringing our rights (have your read about the fake cell tower planes?) - I would love for organizations like knife works to defend the american way, not to defend the ability of family to keep things of (forgive me) trivial value when very real value is being stolen from all of us. If we all had more money in our pockets we could make new memories and heirlooms that align with our values today. Why are we not up in arms over these things, things that matter?

Let's make new memories and share valuables with generations that are worth valuing, without compromising our integrity and humanity.

I would respect knife works more if they came out with your level of honesty vs "ivory producing nations and experts think the ban will increase the slaughter". While I may not agree with a position it is much less tolerable when governments / lobbyists / and interests treat us like we are stupid.

Just one man's opinion here.

I am grateful for your candor. Thank you.

GrayMouser likes this.
  13. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Yes - and No...

Yes, Doug Ritter of Ritter Survival gear is the same Doug Ritter of Knife Rights.

No, Doug Ritter is not the designer of the Benchmade Griptilian - Mel Pardue is (which is why Mr. Pardues name in on the blade of every Benchmade Grip). Doug designed the RSK variant of the Grip.

And Yes, Doug has been known to visit various knife forums, including this one.

Last edited by Lightnig, Nov 14, 2014
    Lou_G likes this.
  14. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I like the Leek, the MiniGrip is only on my wanna-have list but right now pampers for 2 eat up my budget.
    The Leek has a great blade shape and Sandvik steel for my needs but lacks grip a bit on the ss version (I should stone wash it, maybe that helps). The 2 things I dislike the most is the clip in the tip-up position, it's riding so high that it sometimes learly slips out of my pocket and I'm not willing to double it's price with a low-rider clip. The other thing is the assisted opening. I hear the people say, don't buy an assisted folder if you don't like it, but this one was a present (unlike the Cryo 1555Ti, never liked the knife).
    For me a perfect edc knife would be the Leek with its Sandvik blade, a clip mounted at the end of the handle (or low-rider clip like on the Cryo, the only thing I like on that one) and a flipper like on the Chill, that knife flips better than the assisted Leek or my CRKT Swindle will ball bearings...

And the ivory... I think you can use parts of an animal if you use any part of the beast like we do it with pigs and cows for example (hides, bones, nearly everything). The bones from cows are not so different to ivory and if you want to use ivory at all cost, use mammoth ivory IMHO.
    But to ban existing pieces is to me same useless as killing an animal only for its teeth or fin or whatever.